Talk

Advanced search

to refuse to turn off Bob Marley's "Jammin" in favour of Old MacDonald when requested by DS aged 2

(14 Posts)
babybarrister Thu 20-Aug-09 22:39:15

of course I am not - listening to rubbish music was never going to be a part of my mother's covenant .....!!!

notnowbernard Thu 20-Aug-09 22:40:21

Yes, you need to brainwash them ASAP into liking your music

Thunderduck Thu 20-Aug-09 22:44:17

YANBU.However if you were playing something like Mariah Carey, The Ting Tings or James Blunt then you would be unreasonable.

seaturtle Thu 20-Aug-09 22:45:27

YANBU Definitely!

isittooearlyforgin Thu 20-Aug-09 22:45:41

what is bob marley's favourite donut interior?

LightningBolt Thu 20-Aug-09 22:46:56

YANBU.It is Jamaican celebration night and a shit hot album

(I am not Jamaican but have namechanged in honour of Mr Bolt)

CaurnieBred Fri 21-Aug-09 10:53:06

Best tip I was given when pregnant with DD - "never play one of their CDs in the car. Ever. Then they won't expect it." Worked a treat, though did have to sing the odd nursery rhyme every once in a while.

Tidey Fri 21-Aug-09 10:55:25

I don't actually like the song, but it is better than nursery rhymes. Luckily DS likes fairly decent music and DD isn't old enough to express an opinion so I get my own way at the moment grin

CMOTdibbler Fri 21-Aug-09 10:55:30

We don't have any childrens music CD's. Thus either we listen to normal music or sing in the car. YANBU

sabire Fri 21-Aug-09 11:12:08

YANBU

Until recently I NEVER allowed my children to play their music in the car.

Unfortunately the dc's (4, 5 and 10) have developed strong musical tastes of their own and are united in their love of the Black Eyed Peas, Tynchy Stryder, Dizzy Rascal, Beyonce etc etc. They now form a pressure squad and overwhelm me and DH regularly - forcing us to listen to KISS fm on most journeys. It's hell.

Sometimes when I'm really angry with them I make them listen to radio 4 as punishment.

Funnily enough, as a family we're as one when it comes to Bob Marley (also Black Uhuru, Yellow Man, Sly and Robbie) so when things are really fraught in the car it's often reggae that is 'the peacemaker'

OrmIrian Fri 21-Aug-09 11:14:46

YANBU in the slightest. Why do we pollute kids ears with crap like that? Get em started on the good stuff asap grin Mine so seem to like a wide range of music incl Bob Marley. Sadly Mozart gets a thumbs down not that they are older sad. Low-brow musical illiterates that they are! I blame the parents.

MIAonline Fri 21-Aug-09 11:19:17

YANBU, I wouldn't turn it off if I was listening to something. But, what we do is share. So, I will have my stuff on on the way somewhere for example and he will get his on the way back. He is 2 and understands this well.

So on the way there I get my music plus constant questions, on the way back I get crap audio books/songs but silence from DS. It's a lose lose win-win situation grin

MrsBadger Fri 21-Aug-09 11:35:22

in the car I acquiesce for the sake of my sanity - I sang 'Belle of Belfast City' (with vital personalised lyric changes) for 20min this morning but it was better than listening to dd scream

at home, never

but then she does have a marked preference for 'Daddy music' - The Killers are a perennial favourite

Callisto Fri 21-Aug-09 12:15:06

DD (4) has never liked nursery rhymes or lullabys so as a result her favourite music is anything by U2 or Blur. Nursery rhymes are dreadful crap, but I do find that I am very, very bored with Sunday Bloody Sunday (currently her absolute favourite song).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now