Talk

Advanced search

to think it's not ok to leave my pet for over 24 hours?

(21 Posts)
fedupintheoffice Thu 20-Aug-09 22:04:33

I went round to see some friends yesterday afternoon and it all turned into one of the girls offering us all the chance to stay at her home that night. It would've be fabulous to get to work which is a few miles down the road from her, but I was the only one to decline and everyone made me feel bloody stupid for the reason!

I had been out of the house since 8am, and if I was going to stay, I wouldn't be home until 3pm the next day which would mean my guinea pig (who is an indoor pet) being alone for over 24 hrs. He has food and plenty of water, but it's not the point. He loves human company and is always waiting for me with much excitable squeals and loves sitting with me in an evening. He gets a bowl of food each morning too and wouldn't get his brunch until I got in!

I tell them I can't stay over because of this and they are really making me feel stupid, not just joking, but making me feel pathetic. I was quite upset!

CMOTdibbler Thu 20-Aug-09 22:07:35

I do think a guinea pig could cope without you as a one off if they were OK for water. I would be a bit hmm about someone having to go home for their gp tbh

fedupintheoffice Thu 20-Aug-09 22:11:07

Lol, i'm too soft then. I just couldn't bear the thought of him waiting for me by his door (as he does everyday) and me not coming!

Harimosmummy Thu 20-Aug-09 22:12:29

grin I have to say, I think a GP could cope...

BUT, I wouldn't leave my dog alone for more than about 4 hours, so who am I to judge?

are you registered at a vets? Check with them, as a lot of the 24 hour places will care for your pet over night (Cats, mainly, IFAIK) that might be an option.

HM

skybright Thu 20-Aug-09 22:13:46

I don't know that much about guinea pigs but if he was fed and water and had a place to poo (do they poo in cat litter trays?) then i would have gone,he would have survived.

I have a dog though and even when i was in labour i was wondering if she was okay as she was two hours past her walk (she had been fed though).

BigGobMum Thu 20-Aug-09 22:18:33

I dont think there is a problem leaving them for 24 hours. Make sure there is plenty of water and dried food, feed before you go and ensure they have plenty of clean fresh hay (which they will eat as well as being bedding). Ours never particularly liked carrots but would eat them as a last resort so we always left a carrot which they would eat the next day.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 20-Aug-09 23:00:32

you GP will be fine for 24hrs - I have hamsters and leave them for that if away working or at friends etc

as long as got water,dried food and maybe some fresh veg, they will be fine

my hammys wait for me by the door and have to say they sulk terribly if dh and I go out in evening

we come home to find both hamsters in seperate cages facing the wall in the back corner and when we pick them up, they are still and rigid and we have to do lots of cuddles again grin

SoupDragon Thu 20-Aug-09 23:02:10

YABU, you loon. TBH, I'm not surpised they're laughing. I thought you were going to be talking about a dog!

mumeeee Thu 20-Aug-09 23:55:27

YABU. your guinea pig has water and food so he will be fine.

blithedance Fri 21-Aug-09 00:03:39

Our cats sleep 23 hours out of 24. So I figure they are only missing me for 2 hours if I leave them for a weekend with the autofeeder.

lepirate Fri 21-Aug-09 00:03:55

he would have got over it quicker than you. do it next time!!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 21-Aug-09 00:09:00

Most cats would be ok. Most dogs definitely wouldn't. I don't know what guinea pigs are like but from the OPs description I'd have gone home for a furry cuddle rather than stay with unsympathetic friends.

Bathsheba Fri 21-Aug-09 06:30:29

Your GP will probably be fine but you are well within your rights to decline the sleepover offer for any reason you wish...

However, if it makes you feel bad, or if you feel teased about your reasoning being the GP, then maybe you need to think what an acceptable reason (for you) would be if the situation arises again....whether its the slow cooker has been left on, or you have back problems which mena you are uncomfortable anywhere other than your own bed etc...

Even though your real reasoning is the GP it might be useful to have a back up reason for the next time..

I generally don't like staying over at people's unless its planned (a weekend break away at my friends's is wonderful and much loved) - it generally rarely happens now anyway as I have 2 dcs - however I think the reason you feel so bad and were teased was simply that you were a bit too honest about why you had to go home...and if drinking was involved I doubt many tipsy people would accept "need to get home for the guinea pig" would be an acceptable excuse for their mate to stop drinking...

MmeLindt Fri 21-Aug-09 06:47:10

I would not leave a dog alone that length of time, but would not worry about a GP.

Saying that, I don't think much of your friends for making you feel pathetic and laughing at your concern about your GP. You were better off home with the piggy, at least he accepts you as you are

gagamama Fri 21-Aug-09 07:11:12

The GP would've been fine, provided there was food and water. I know some animals don't process time in the same way as we do anyway, they can't tell the difference between 24 seconds and 24 hours, so it's not like he would be sitting there agonising over the fact you'd been gone so long. You'd need to get back if he relied on you for something (eg. a dog needs to be let outside, be walked, fed, etc), but not to keep him company!

Have you considered getting another GP? Then they can keep each other company.

oliviasmama Fri 21-Aug-09 07:11:54

I know how you feel but TBH I would think your GP would've been ok smile.

I'm a bit concerned about leaving my dog for 3 days a week when I go back to work, I'll be out from 8.45am until 5.30pm, 8.5 hours, so I'm taking him on some days and leaving him in the car so I can walk him at lunch time.

Perhaps next time take him with you hmm grin

junglist1 Fri 21-Aug-09 07:21:29

you're really nice.

belgo Fri 21-Aug-09 07:32:16

YANBU. Your pet, you decide. I think your friends are horrible for making you feel stupid and pathetic.

aw, I think you're sweet and your GP is lucky to have such a thoughtful owner smile

I often stress about leaving my bunny for extended periods of time, but not alone, oh no. my brother and Dad can't seem to get their head around feeding the poor thing every day in my absense - in fact, its not the food that bothers me tbh, if I bulk up the portion that I give her she quite skillfully rations it off by hiding some under her 'blankie' (I kid you not, its the funniest thing to see in action) but its when I come back and the water level is dangerously low... she's a thirsty little thing and it stresses me to think that she's gasping!

I think she forgives me though, as upon my return I come armed with sugar snap peas as opposed to the usual brocolli wink

dailymailIsPerfectAsaPoopScoop Fri 21-Aug-09 08:49:16

Are you joking?!

BubbaAndBump Fri 21-Aug-09 08:59:19

OMG YABU - can you imagine friends saying to you they couldn't come out because their mouse/rat/baby was waiting by the front door pining for them?! And I don't think your friends are BU for teasing you, they've just got a good sense of humour!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now