Talk

Advanced search

to think that 16 is old enough to wear a strapless dress?

(55 Posts)
brummiemummie Thu 20-Aug-09 18:21:34

MIL thinks not.

She's visiting atm for a long weekend and we were talking earlier about DD's school Leavers' Ball. I've just shown her some photos; she saw DD's dress and suddenly became very sniffy. "Oh," she said, "I didn't know you allowed DD to wear strapless dresses".

Most of her friends in the same photo were wearing strapless gowns, some a lot more revealing than DD's. But MIL appears to think it was "inappropriate at her age" hmm.

DD was planning on wearing a (different) strapless dress to DNiece's wedding next month, but now I feel like she shouldn't be because of what MIL thinks. Am I being unreasonable in thinking MIL is an out-of-touch old cow and letting her wear it anyway? Or is it genuinely not age-appropriate??

BM x

brimfull Thu 20-Aug-09 18:25:03

mil is out of touch

they all wear strapless

only looks slightly inappropriate if they have huge boobs

dailymailIsPerfectAsaPoopScoop Thu 20-Aug-09 18:26:23

strapless is fine. MIL stuck in the dark ages grin

brummiemummie Thu 20-Aug-09 18:27:19

Ggirl, thanks, I thought they all did.

DD does have big boobs though, maybe that's why MIL objects?

cheezcurl Thu 20-Aug-09 18:29:24

I think 16 is definitely old enough to wear strapless dress. Not really the lack of straps that makes a dress revealing/not appropriate iyswim - depends on the style.

If it was me I would ignore MIL (but you may want to keep the peace).

brummiemummie Thu 20-Aug-09 18:33:11

It's this one btw:

DD's dress for the wedding

CarmenSanDiego Thu 20-Aug-09 18:33:56

Weird. Never realised strapless dresses were a problem. My 5yo has some dresses with removable straps from Gap that you could wear strapless

brummiemummie Thu 20-Aug-09 18:36:23

I think I'm going to ignore what MIL says and just tell DD to go ahead and wear it. The wedding's not until the end of September so hopefully it will be cold enough for DD to keep her cardigan on all day and MIL won't even notice.

diddl Thu 20-Aug-09 18:37:50

I think it´s your daughter, it´s up to you.
Not sure about strapless to a wedding though.(For any age)
But that´s just me!

screamingabdab Thu 20-Aug-09 18:39:05

That's a lovely dress. Wish I had the legs. And the boobs. And was not nearly 40 <sigh>

brummiemummie Thu 20-Aug-09 18:39:37

Carmen - my MIL is a bit of an old-fashioned nutter. Personally I would probably let 10yo DD wear a strapless dress if she wanted.

screamingabdab Thu 20-Aug-09 18:41:37

Oh, tell your DD to put her shoulders back. I can't abide girls who don't stand up straight, especially in strapless things grin

brummiemummie Thu 20-Aug-09 18:43:41

Diddl - she will wear a cardigan/shrug type thing in the church and probably take it off at the reception if she gets too hot.

I am not too keen on wedding guests wearing strapless dresses in church either but if they're wearing something over the top it's fine. DNiece was with her when she bought the dress so she obviously doesn't have too many objections!

diddl Thu 20-Aug-09 19:32:18

I think it´s just me.
I´d be terrified of it falling down.
I prefer to see very tiny straps.

ErikaMaye Thu 20-Aug-09 19:40:27

That's a lovely dress I'm sure she'll look lovely! Which colour is it?

I wore a strapless gown to my prom (two years ago), as did the majority of the girls. I don't see the problem, really...

Mumcentreplus Thu 20-Aug-09 19:41:35

good bra and strapless is fine...it's all about length grin

mamas12 Thu 20-Aug-09 19:50:03

It's a gorgeous dress, would emphasise though that a good strapless support bra if she has big boods as can look bloody awful otherwise.
Get her the foundations and forget about it she'll be the belle of the ball stspeak

Smithagain Thu 20-Aug-09 19:58:08

Definitely age-appropriate for a prom. Possibly not for a wedding. Definitely have a cardigan/jacket available for the ceremony and any formal bits of meal. Then she can go for it when the dancing starts!

stleger Thu 20-Aug-09 20:10:28

My MIL is inclined to tut a lot, which worried me prior to a wedding last year. DD1 wore s strapless dress with a wrap for church. And kept away from granny until after the drinks reception! Brides and bridesmaids are often strapless now, aren't they?

ErikaMaye Thu 20-Aug-09 20:12:01

(Just on a side note - all six of us bridesmaids were strappless for my uncle's wedding last year, and no one minded )

GrapefruitMoon Thu 20-Aug-09 20:14:41

I personally hate the strapless look - for brides and bridesmaids. Was a bridesmaid a while back and it took a lot of searching to get something that wasn't strapless. But that's possibly more to do with my age and pale skin - that look doesn't really suit me!

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 20-Aug-09 20:57:39

Your MIL is very out-of-date - I was wearing strapless aged 16 and that was thirty years ago! Boob-tubes were the height of fashion grin.

CarmenSanDiego Thu 20-Aug-09 21:55:19

My grandmother laughed when I just told her this and she's nearly 80 so probably just your MIL rather than a generational thing! Cute dress though - very fun for a teenager

skybright Thu 20-Aug-09 22:00:09

Lovely dress,MIL out of date.

scottishmummy Thu 20-Aug-09 22:03:18

pretty dress,hardly an outlandish staement. take a wee pashmina to keep peace dd doesnt have to wear it

enjoy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now