Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed ay my neighbour's rug antics?

(15 Posts)
BlueSkyDay Thu 20-Aug-09 17:33:11

Ok, so the woman upstairs hangs her rugs over her balcony every day to air. Thing is a) they block out the light from my living room; and b) when she takes them in in the evening and puts them out at 6am she beats them and it wakes my DS.

The neighbour doesn't speak english and isn't the smiley-hello-in-the-hall type or else I'd just mention it in passing, politely.

Should I try and say something or should I just expect this is part of apartment living?

TooMuchCaffeine Thu 20-Aug-09 17:39:09

If it is the rug airing that you have a problem with and not something about the woman herself then I would mention it. Perhaps ask her if she would mind not doing it every single day as a compromise - but limit it to a couple of times a week if she has to do it frequently. I am clean but I can't think why you would need to air the rugs every day anyway.
However if your issue is something to do with the woman herself, I'd leave it because you will probably ust find something else she does that will annoy you in the future anyway.

TooMuchCaffeine Thu 20-Aug-09 17:40:50

So YABU if you feel that because she can't speak English and is a bit shy, you can't broach the subject with her "politely".

BlueSkyDay Thu 20-Aug-09 17:43:27

I have no problem with the woman at all. Just thought it would be hard to mime the discussion without her thinking i was mad

sherby Thu 20-Aug-09 17:45:35

Lol

If she can't speak english then in all seriousness HOW is she supposed to broach the subject with her? I really would love to know the answer to this

pruneplus2 Thu 20-Aug-09 18:00:57

I dont get why someone would have rugs only to have them airing out on a balcony all day to be brought in at night and put out again at 6am?

Seems odd to me. Or have I missed something?

WRT broaching the subject, I feel you may well have to mime and come across as looking a tad mad grin

xxx

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 20-Aug-09 21:29:43

Could you successfully mime coming downstairs, take her into your flat and point at the rug blocking your light?

hobbgoblin Thu 20-Aug-09 21:31:41

babelfish her

SmallScrewCap Thu 20-Aug-09 21:42:42

I have a feeling that this might actually be a criminal offence...

No, honestly! Our police HQ ran an article in its newsletter a few years back about weird laws: allowing rugs or drapes to dangle from a first floor window (or higher) is one of those ancient British laws that is still on the books somewhere but is obviously not enforced any more. Think it's in the same category as not being allowed to eat gooseberries in the street on a Sunday or something.

Pregnant women, however, CANNOT wee on demand in an officer's helmet.

I say BOOK HER grin

SmallScrewCap Thu 20-Aug-09 21:47:45

Found it - it only applies if you live in the Met area, and if she shakes it wink

"It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet, rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am. "

Here it is

paisleyleaf Thu 20-Aug-09 22:18:31

I've been to countries where this is the norm.
Like you say, every day.
I don't know what to suggest. I think the woman would find it difficult to not do it.

BlueSkyDay Fri 21-Aug-09 09:03:41

thanks for all the replies. i think attempting to have her charged may be going a tad far wink

i think it's just one of those things i'm going to have to live with. can't remember her doing it so much in winter actually so there's hope!

i was talking to a friend last night who suggested i eat lunch out there with my 8mo DS who is doing BLW, maybe have strawberries and pesto pasta, his favourites, then she might reconsider. how evil!

gagamama Fri 21-Aug-09 09:17:45

Ah, but then the next morning she'll be hanging out a sopping wet rug which will drip drip drip all over your balcony all day long!

Perhaps source a vacuum cleaner on Freecycle and give it to her as a gift? You risk her thinking you're barking, though.

BlueSkyDay Fri 21-Aug-09 09:30:55

every second day it is wet as she must wash them or something! and funnily enough i just gave away a vac on freecycle...i didn't even think of asking her if she wanted it, damn!

ah well, don't think she will change, think she's quite happy with her rug management.

gagamama Fri 21-Aug-09 09:35:02

I don't really understand the purpose of a rug which is only used during the night. Do you think she's a swinger or something?! Maybe that's why she has to keep washing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now