Talk

Advanced search

to suspect that 'no one bothers with car seats in Cornwall' is an untrue statement

(9 Posts)
LovelyBertha Thu 20-Aug-09 11:11:15

Yesterday, DH refused to give BIL, SIL & their DS (2.5), who are visiting from Cornwall, a lift because there wasn't a car seat for our nephew. Their suggestion was that he ride on BIL's lap, and 'we can just make him crouch in the footwell if we see a police car'.

I absolutely wouldn't even consider doing this, don't know anyone who would, and was frankly quite surprised that they thought it was OK, as they usually do everything very strictly by the (GF) book.

My judgy-pants were well and truely on, and pulled up to my armpits. Apparently, I'm a 'carseat Nazi'and a townie.

I should add- they live in one of Cornwall's largest towns, not right out in the sticks.
Also, they wanted a lift to somewhere that was a 20 minute walk. They had a buggy with them.

littleducks Thu 20-Aug-09 11:16:17

my brother lived in cornwall, and now in devon i think that they are slightly more relaxed about it but 'no one bothers' is a bit of an overstatement

TwentiethCenturyHeffa Thu 20-Aug-09 11:29:45

My whole family live in Devon and Cornwall and I've never heard this at all. Everyone I know is just as careful about using carseats as people in the rest of the country (and most of my family live in very remote places).

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 20-Aug-09 11:32:51

All my family and friends live in Devon and they are just like everybody else re carseats.

marialuisa Thu 20-Aug-09 11:34:22

Not from that part of the world but somewhere fairly rural and IME people are a lot more relaxed about car seats and other stuff e.g. quite commonplace for 6 year olds to be roaring round on quad bikes.

manfrom Thu 20-Aug-09 11:37:05

You should have made them walk, bleddy janners grin

I grew up down there and we used to have to go in the back of the landy with the sheep. It was a tough childhood.

LovelyBertha Thu 20-Aug-09 15:43:52

Ha! That's what I thought. I've seen car seats in Trago Mills before, so there must be a call for them round those parts.

Wouldn't have expected it from them though. These people spend 2 weeks prior to the clocks going forward/back adjusting their ds's schedule by a few minutes a day so the change doesn't upset him- they are not chance-takers and generally not 'more relaxed'. Bloody weird I reckon.

Dogshitsonthedailymail Thu 20-Aug-09 15:46:23

Message withdrawn

mermaidspurse Thu 20-Aug-09 17:02:20

you really use car seats up country? I just give my ds a pasty and he keeps still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now