Talk

Advanced search

To let dd watch this film?

(19 Posts)
MissSunny Tue 18-Aug-09 23:06:23

Message withdrawn

Anonymumandlikeit Tue 18-Aug-09 23:09:54

well I let ds nearly 6 watch Dr Who cos all his friends do and it was only when I went to get dvd out of library that I realised they had a 12 cert.!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 18-Aug-09 23:12:33

Excalibur (if the one with helen mirren) excellent film. Has incest too though, so probably best you moved over to power rangers grin

Mumcentreplus Tue 18-Aug-09 23:12:49

It can happen...anything that isn't a U you have to think hmm
but Excalibur is an Adult movie what was the rating?..I remember this movie... 80s right?...totally not suitable imo.

AnyFucker Tue 18-Aug-09 23:12:52

the exact same thing has happened to us with that film

completely unexpected, don't blame yourself

and yes, it is quite explicit blush

StayFrostyDMisaVileRag Tue 18-Aug-09 23:15:50

lol, Excalibur so not suitable for dcs grin oops. Nice save, though.

StretchFucksTheMailDaily Tue 18-Aug-09 23:17:25

In future, go to IMDB.com and type in the film name. Then down the side is parental guide. It tells you all about sex/nudity, language,violence etc...

MissSunny Tue 18-Aug-09 23:24:29

Message withdrawn

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 18-Aug-09 23:28:45

misssunny it is a fab film though, recommend you watch it later smile

And for all teh dr who fans ^^do not let your children watch torchwood whatever you do^^...

I am 35 and still traumatised... It is not the same as dr who... Just in case anyone was thinking that...

teamcullen Tue 18-Aug-09 23:34:45

Didnt we all hide behind the couch when we were 6 while watching Dr Who, every time the Darliks came on the screen.

That was all the parental guidence we had as a child, Mum shouting "quick hide behind the couch".

I remember watching films with my family when I was young. If something remotly rude came on my dad would find something to send me the shop for.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Aug-09 00:14:53

grin
Thank goodness you didn't pause for the drink break!

I haven't fallen into this problem, mainly because I realised early enough that I had to pay attention to film classifications when DD, at about 4-5, found a U cartoon (Lady and the Tramp II) almost too scary to sit through.

So I'm now pondering her request to get the new Harry Potter as soon as its out on DVD - she's 10.5 now, I think its a 12A. Suppose I could get it and watch it first while she's at school...

DD does get exposed to a lot of sex and violence on TV - some bad cases of infanticide... yes, she loves Spring/AutumnWatch grin

BitOfFun Wed 19-Aug-09 00:27:49

I made this mistake (but only with myself though) watching Pan's Labyrinth, cert 15. I sort of assumed it would be a bit fantasy-ish but not too scary. I would have chanced it with the kids (13 and 14), but thankfully I didn't...It had perhaps one of the most traumatically violent scenes in it I have ever seen, and I hed to leave the room blush

StayFrostyDMisaVileRag Wed 19-Aug-09 00:34:14

I remember one Sunday afternoon years ago when my Nan and Grandad visited once, my mum thought it would be nice to watch a film and got Four Weddings out of the video shop thinking it would be inoffensive tweeness all the way, and in no way realising that the first five minutes just consists of (admittedly twee) people saying 'fuck'. And the time she got Roadhouse out for us all to watch, thinking it would be like Dirty Dancing. She gave up choosing films after that grin

MissSunny Wed 19-Aug-09 00:53:29

Message withdrawn

Ceasnake Wed 19-Aug-09 11:00:17

God, yes, that scene in Pan's Labyrinth is unwatchable. If I'd seen that as a five year old, I think I'd just be getting out of therapy now!

Great film, though.

LOL at Frosty's Mum grin

Ceasnake Wed 19-Aug-09 11:02:31

Oh, and DO NOT under any circumstances let your children watch a film called Meet The Feebles - looks like a jolly little puppet show type thing. It's not. wink

StayFrostyDMisaVileRag Wed 19-Aug-09 11:05:41

lololol, Ceasnake, Meet the Feebles, not seen it in years.

DeFluffMyFanjo Wed 19-Aug-09 13:36:35

Meet the Feebles is absolutely classic but very very rude

landrover Thu 20-Aug-09 13:23:11

not your fault

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now