Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not allow my child some sugar to dip her strawberries in?

(60 Posts)
rasputin Tue 18-Aug-09 16:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PinkTulips Tue 18-Aug-09 16:55:11

I always had sugar on my strawberries and cream, couldn't eat them otherwise, too sour

WidowWadman Tue 18-Aug-09 16:55:27

I don't dip my strawberries in sugar either, so YANBU.

However, if you ban him from having the sugar at friends, too, I'd say YABU.

ComeOVeneer Tue 18-Aug-09 16:56:29

YANBU. I think it makes them taste awful anyway and totally unecessary.

bigchris Tue 18-Aug-09 16:56:34

yanbu

KembleTwins Tue 18-Aug-09 16:56:36

Depends - if the strawberries were lovely and sweet to begin with, the YANBU. If they were a bit tart, then a small sprinkle of sugar would be fine. If DD was ONLY requesting sugar because her friend had it, then YANBU. I would have made her try one first, and done the same, then "decided" that sugar wasn't necessary.

arolf Tue 18-Aug-09 16:57:10

say 'of course dear' and give her salt instead that'll soon stop the requests!
(hasn't got any kids yet so hasn't a clue what she's talking about emoticon)

catwalker Tue 18-Aug-09 16:59:00

Depends on the strawberry. If they're a bit tart then I'd sprinkle sugar on (entails less sugar than 'dipping' I suspect). If they're sweet enough on their own, then I wouldn't.

Disenchanted3 Tue 18-Aug-09 16:59:20

Ewww sounds gross.

YANBU

pmsl Arolf!! fab!!

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 18-Aug-09 16:59:27

There's no need to do it - but there's no need to have a pudding at all.

That said, there's no real harm in a bit of sugar very occasionally. But it is just empty calories, isn't it?

My worry about adding sugar is that they quickly adapt and then need it - (same with salt!) And I think it's good that they taste the food as nature intended! A strawberry should taste like a strawberry, not like sugar, iyswim.

So I think, on balance, while sugar isn't the work of the devil, I'd say no, to avoid her getting a taste for coating things in sugar!

rupertsabear Tue 18-Aug-09 17:12:40

strawberries without sugar are completely tasteless though.

southeastastra Tue 18-Aug-09 17:15:17

give her tons of double cream to dip it in instead grin yum

FritesMenthe Tue 18-Aug-09 17:20:31

YABU unless the strawberries are naturally sweet. Some can be quite tart and are vastly improved with a sprinkle of sugar.

KnickKnack Tue 18-Aug-09 17:26:16

YANBU

sugar on strawberries is a treat reserved for granda's house (he loves giving little special treats that are available at his house only )

KnickKnack Tue 18-Aug-09 17:27:01

forgot to add...this means kids get to have it occasionally, but don't automatically expect it at my house.

ErikaMaye Tue 18-Aug-09 17:27:46

Strawberries WITHOUT sugar??? shock

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 18-Aug-09 17:44:04

Oh, this is where MN really opens your eyes.

I've never even considered putting sugar on strawbs and my kids eat them all the time.

And for e.g. today they have had leftover birthday cake after their lunch and banana splits after their tea...so you can see I'm not exactly averse to a bit of sugar!

If they are too sour, they just won't eat them. And that's fine - but 2 year old DS will eat them whatever shape they're in grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 18-Aug-09 17:44:22

How would she feel about stawberries and freshly-ground black pepper? I'm serious - read this tip somewhere (can't eat strawberries myself) and passed it on to DH, he loves them.

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 18-Aug-09 17:45:41

And actually, they don't have granulated sugar on cereal either, which I did as a child. But they do have have a squeeze of honey on their weetabix.

So no, YANBU. IMO.

Lizzylou Tue 18-Aug-09 17:49:06

YANBU, never happens here, no need

Now strawberries dipped in chocolate...yum, but just for the adults

Roomfor2 Tue 18-Aug-09 17:49:12

YANBU

It's good to get them used to the real taste instead of the sugared taste. I was given sugar on strawbs and raspberries as a child and it took me a while to wean myself off the sugary taste as I got older, but now I much prefer the taste without sugar.

So, my point is I think it is good to encourage eating them without sugar. You could say it is a special treat to have them in sugar but at home on a normal day, you have them without.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 18-Aug-09 17:50:54

YANBU. I'm not a fan of sugar where none should be (tea, coffee, cereal, fruit). Some things just aren't meant to be quite that sweet.

Save it for Proper Puddings.

NanaNina Tue 18-Aug-09 17:55:15

SO sorry rasputin and please don't take offence but could you possibly find something else to occupy your mind other than strawberries and sugar (or not).

francagoestohollywood Tue 18-Aug-09 17:55:43

Strawberries dipped in a bit of sugar get all lovely and crunchy.
I think yabu, a bit of sugar on strawberries is not like eating sweets.

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 18-Aug-09 17:59:14

I'm of the view that if a small amount of sugar gets them to eat strawberries - which they are not that keen on, it is better than no strawberries at all.

We've not really had many sweet strawberries this year though.

I wouldn't want them to dip them in sugar (unless it was icing sugar which might be slightly more acceptable - and actually worth trying once the kids are not around to copygrin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now