Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to teach my DS (3 in Oct) to put our dog's poo in the dog-bin?

(18 Posts)
minouminou Tue 18-Aug-09 16:22:26

OK, I know there are some people who don't like dogs, or irresponsible dog-owners (I'm with you there), and I don't want this to descend into a "Kill them all vs I love my dog more than people" style row, as we have a (part-time) dog, she's well-trained, vaccinated, de-flead, wormed and de-ticked, loves children etc etc, and I'm not about to apologise for her existence, or for her role in our lives.
What this AIBU is about is a (non) incident t'other day in the park.
For a while now, I've been letting DS carry the bundled-up poo to the dog-bin, where I pick him up, lift the lid and let him put it in, with a "Bye-bye, poo" as I close the lid. Then we walk to the pram, where we use hand gel to kill the "bad bubbahs" ("bubbahs" is DS' word for bugs...visible or invisible).
Anyway, did this routine the other day, and while walking back for the hand gel, saw that 2 women were sat on the park bench nearby, gaping open-mouthed (well...almost) in a way I can only describe as appalled....they really did stare, and it wasn't a "Ooh...that's a good idea", or "Oh look, there's someone putting poo in the bin....there's a magpie....what'll I have for dinner?" bored sort of stare. They were not amused at all.
For a second or two, I actually felt like I was doing something terrible/dangerous/abusive, but told myself that I was most likely just teaching DS how to handle the inevitable fallout (as it were) of having a dog safely and cleanly.
So, am I doing the right thing here? DS asked to do it in the first instance, and clearly sees it as v important, as he dangles the bag very ceremoniously by its handles (double-bagged, tied up etc), and runs over to the newly-deposited poo and points it out to me. Whaddya all think?

Runoutofideas Tue 18-Aug-09 16:27:11

I can't see a problem, as long as he's only handling the bags rather than trying to put the poo into the bags, which I think would be a bit much for a child so young...You are teaching him good hygiene habits as far as I'm concerned.

BitOfFun Tue 18-Aug-09 16:28:51

Sounds fine to me.

cheesesarnie Tue 18-Aug-09 16:29:59

i think your doing a brilliant job!
and well done to your ds too for wanting to help!

minouminou Tue 18-Aug-09 16:31:21

Thanks...no, I wouldn't let him scoop up the poo, as even if he had the dexterity, his hands aren't big enough to get it all in one go (the scoop ideal!).
He's pretty much toilet-trained himself now, and so I think his interest in the dog-bin may well wane once his wees and poos aren't greeted by high-fives, however, he'll know that picking up dog poo is A Good Thing etc etc.

minouminou Tue 18-Aug-09 16:32:59

Oh, wow! wasn't expecting this many answers in a short time. Thanks, guys.
It's not often I feel doubt, but this has been at the back of my mind.

pranma Tue 18-Aug-09 17:15:53

Congratulations on being a super mum and a responsible dog owner.Your lo is learning some valuable life skills too-not least about the germs.

Stayingsunnygirl Tue 18-Aug-09 17:29:53

I agree - you are being a good mother and a good dog owner too.

robino Tue 18-Aug-09 17:38:09

My DD has insisted on carrying the full poo bags since she was 2! By insisted I mean she just sat down and refused to move holding her hand out waiting for the bag - I had a battle royale with her twice and then decided it wasn't worth it. She carries it, washes her hands, end of story. So, if you are terrible wink then I am too.

curiositykilled Tue 18-Aug-09 17:40:10

no, YANBU. You're teaching your child responsible pet ownership. As long as he is supervised and cleans his hands what's the problem?

newpup Tue 18-Aug-09 18:10:51

I let my DDs age 10 and 7 put the dog poo bag in the bin too. I have never got them to clear it up obviously as I do that but I want them to be partly responsible for the downside of owning a dog!

Only the same as letting them clean out a rabbit or hamster cage.

I think it is responsible but I have been stared at too. I am sure people think I am too lazy to do it myself. shock

YANBU

NightShoe Tue 18-Aug-09 21:07:30

Sorry, but yuck. YABU, I'm sure there are skills higher up the list of importance for a nearly three year old.

shockers Tue 18-Aug-09 21:18:42

I think you sound like a brilliant and responsible mum and that those ladies should mind their own...

minouminou Wed 19-Aug-09 12:06:22

Nightshoe, did you read my first post? DS asked to put the poo in the bin after seeing me doing it countless times. Life-skills aren't taught to a strict curriculum or itinerary, and if he's interested in doing something not 100% necessary now, but which will come in handy for future years, then so be it.
Poo is yuck, yes, and he's learning to deal with it cleanly and safely, which surely, on second thought, is an age-appropriate life-skill, non?

PeedOffWithNits Wed 19-Aug-09 12:31:32

no worse than a toddler assisting with changing baby siblings nappy, binning that, even "helping" to wipe, so long as you teach the importance of cleaning hands afterwards.

I bet he won't be one of the dirty beggars who doesn't wash hands after the loo!

minouminou Wed 19-Aug-09 12:36:53

Hope not, peedoff, but he does delight in chasing people round with bogies atm!
Am attempting to discourage, but can't stop myself laughing at the demonic glee on his face.
Re sibling's nappy - dog poo is a bit more hazardous, but as it's the variety he's chosen to work with......
4-month-old EBF'd DD's nappies are of no interest to him at all, as they only contain poo every few days.............

silverten Wed 19-Aug-09 13:27:32

Marvellous. Well done you, especially for teaching your child that there is more to having a pet than the nice bits. I wish more dog owners were as considerate and responsible.

MummyDragon Thu 20-Aug-09 08:05:33

I do the same with my kids - the poo is double-bagged and they are only holding the clean handles, and we use anti-bac gel afterwards. Where's the harm? If they find dog poo in the garden, they come and find me - they would never try to pick it up themselves.

OP, you are doing the right thing, and those women on the bench can mind their own business. (In our local woods, it's a dodgy man on a bench with a rather loose fly and a can of Special Brew so I think you're quite lucky actually wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now