Talk

Advanced search

to think that people who suspect they have swine flu should stay off work ?

(11 Posts)
Joeymac Mon 17-Aug-09 21:31:39

I've just got back to work after a week's holiday to find the man opposite was off with swine flu and 102 temp last week (OK he's better now so he is excused), the girl opposite was feeling crap all weekend with aches and temperature but has 'struggled in' and another girl I work with is sitting at her desk complaining of the same thing.

If you think you have swine flu do your colleagues a favour and go home.

To put it in context I have a 3 year old, a 1 year old and am also just pregnant again. I realise that life needs to go on and my little ones are at nursery so could easily get it there but I don't want to infected with it by people who believe the corporate cause is more important than the public's health!

Am I being a tad hormonal and oversensitive?

Meglet Mon 17-Aug-09 21:36:45

yanbu. I would rather help cover a collegues work while they are off sick than suffer with an ill person spluttering all over me. Although I guess the company doesn't pay sick pay then lots of people would have to just get on with it.

mrswee Mon 17-Aug-09 21:40:27

NO YANBU!

It's pretty irresponsible to drag yourself to work when you may have any infectious virus!
I am also pregnant and had my very ill boss breathing all over me, in between bouts of him running off to the bathroom to be sick, the other week! WTF

We have signs all over work about our work place swine flu protocall but still people seem to be sneezing and coughing all over the place, it's been driving me a bit insane with worry because I'm pregnant.

I actually think in general it is a bad thing for people to come to work and spread viruses, just take a couple of days off and don't give it to everyone else at work so everyone is sick and no one gets much work done!!

serendippity Mon 17-Aug-09 21:42:07

nope yanbu. Dp had suspected swine flu (although only suspected by me!) and went in. He said someone in his office had already come down with it, so people would catch it anyway. I was sooooo annoyed.
In his defence he didn't think he had it, and he probably didn't but I was still annoyed. Better safe than sorry, and what if someone caught it who had asthma or a pregnant wife/girlfreind at home? I think it's inconsiderate.

picmaestress Mon 17-Aug-09 23:08:07

yanbu, we have all agreed amongst ourselves that no-one is to come in if they feel in any way dodgy at all. I've just had a week off, felt ill, would normally have struggled through at work, but this time was at home. No idea if it was swine flu, but it's not worth the risk.
One stupid girl came in absolutely streaming about 3 weeks ago, and everyone is really angry with her now, as half of us have gradually caught it...
When told to go the f%ck home, she said 'Oh, I didn't think it would be swine flu'. She was diagnosed the next day. We're all still really cross, which sounds mean, but talk about thick!

babyball Tue 18-Aug-09 08:56:46

YANBU - however many employees have to be extremely careful due to draconian sickness policies. For example, the place I worked at (on mat leave) now would give an automatic warning in most cases (including swine flu) if you were unfortunate enough to be off for more than 8 days per year. Lucky I did not get swine flu before I left as I was extremely unwell with IBS and was on warning status. This is part of the reason why colds and flu are spread around workplace environments so quickly. People are too scared to have time off for sickness and the economic downturn has made it much worse. Think that if I did have swine flu I would have had to consider going into work to ensure that I actually had a job.

mankyscotslass Tue 18-Aug-09 09:02:48

YANBU.

But I agree with babyball. More and more work places are protecting themselves by more vigorous absence policies, and people are frightened to be off if they feel they can struggle in with a cold or mild flu symptoms.

So while I would be horrified in your position, and annoyed, I can see how it might happen. sad

landrover Thu 20-Aug-09 12:37:39

yanbu

Iklboo Thu 20-Aug-09 12:40:26

I'm possibly on a disciplinary interview next week because last week I came into work with a heavy cold (knowing I was near the disciplinary 'threshold'). I was sent home by a manager as a swine flu precaution and took the next day off too. Luckily I only had a heavy cold. I'm still going to get a bollocking nect week even though I was sent home by a manager

mankyscotslass Thu 20-Aug-09 12:44:54

Iklboo, DH will be on a disciplinary if he is absent again. In the last 12 months he had 3 days off for a terrible D&V bug, then had an operation which meant he was absent for 2 weeks in total. He has been told any further absence will result in discplinary action.

Also, when looking at potential redundancies attendance has been mentioned, so everyone is dragging themselves in when they really shouldn't.

I hope next week goes ok for you.

Iklboo Thu 20-Aug-09 12:51:23

Thank you - I'm using the 'but YOU sent me home' defence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now