Talk

Advanced search

to consider giving up on VBAC at 39 weeks pregnant?

(20 Posts)
SmallScrewCap Sun 16-Aug-09 19:07:31

I have posted about this in childbirth, but I am attention-seeking as I have a big decision to make tonight!

I have been preparing for VBAC all through this pregnancy but was admitted to hospital on Monday night (then 38 wks) with pre-eclampsia. Since then I've been in and out, nearly had an induction (which was halted when I asked a consultant to explain why I needed it - luckily the new consultant on duty felt it wasn't urgently necessary), then went into labour but failed to progress, had a section booked and then cancelled, all sorts. Trying not to worry family/get their hopes up.

By Thursday afternoon I agreed to book a section closer to due date because I just wanted the whole thing to be over at some point (and really wanted to be off the very noisy ante-natal & labour wards). Hospital agreed to bring me in for regular checks, rather than keep me in.

Came home and slept, bathed, ate, sniffled on DH, and cuddled confused DD, who by this time had made about 300 presents for the baby that keeps nearly arriving.

Here I am 4 days later feeling much better, and test results from today's hospital visit show that baby is perfectly happy and I am much improved.

I am going to speak to the registrar tomorrow and I may return to plan A and cancel the section.

What would you do? Go towards the great unknown of VBAC with renewed purpose and potentially have 3 weeks or more to wait, or take a section next week just in case things go belly-up again?

katiestar Sun 16-Aug-09 19:19:45

What was the reson for your first c section - is that relevant to your decision ?

llareggub Sun 16-Aug-09 19:34:43

I had a VBAC and had a 2nd degree tear. However my recovery time after the VBAC was much quicker than the c-section, which for me was the deciding factor.

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Sun 16-Aug-09 19:41:48

Hi I am hoping to go for a VBAC and after my emergency C Section last time which really affected me badly ending up with PND and problems with BF, so if it were me I would carry on with the VBAC plan A unless something else comes up or your consultant thinks its a really bad idea.

Best of luck.

sherazade Sun 16-Aug-09 19:47:34

I had a vbac with dd2.
Best thing that happened to me in my life.
well, that, and having 2 lovely dd's

CarmenSanDiego Sun 16-Aug-09 19:54:02

I've had two lovely VBACs. So much easier to recover from.

But it's your decision. What feels like the right thing for you to do? Would you look back on another C Section and regret it? Are there any medical indications for a C Section?

It sounds like you have a good case for VBACing if your test results are good.

Chances are you won't have to wait three weeks if you do go for it, especially if you've already had early contractions.

SmallScrewCap Sun 16-Aug-09 19:54:30

First section was for transverse lie. This baby is in a lovely head-down, spine-forward position, thanks to me busting a gut with optimal foetal positioning since June, so that's not an issue this time. It's more about my health and stopping the clock at a point before it begins to affect LO.

It's all about my health and its potential affect on the baby, but now that this seems to be improving, I'm torn again. This week has been so confusing, I'm worried that by Friday I could be poorly again and need to book another section for even further into the future.

SmallScrewCap Sun 16-Aug-09 19:58:06

please excuse my repetition and bad typing, bit strung out here!

katiestar Sun 16-Aug-09 20:22:31

Unless something happens which indicates that a C-section is necessary I would hang in there and hope for a VB.In the grand scheme of things , waiting a bit longer isn't all that bad.just plan lots of fun things to do to keep you occupied.I had a CS with my 3rd baby and a VB with my 4th and it was very straightforward

BetsyBoop Sun 16-Aug-09 21:00:48

if your BP etc has calmed down again & you are still happy to wait & wnat a VBAC, then I say go for it.

There is nothing to stop you changing your mind again if your feelings/health change

FWIW I planned a VBAC, but DS had other ideas, at 10days overdue & my BP rising I decided enough was enough & went el c/s (probably good choice in retrospect as DS was 10lb 10.5oz & had a HUGE head grin) I still felt suprisingly good about it, I think that was from being in control of the decisions made, rather than feeling things "happened to me" like first time round

superduperminder Sun 16-Aug-09 21:20:27

Hang in there! I had a failed VBAC last year but would still do it all again. I think it helps if you have an understanding consultant - mine let me go through 34 hours of labour before I actually demanded another section!
I think that unless there is a medical reason for needing a section, you should at least give the vbac a go hun x

However, if you decide to have the section, don't beat yourself up.

Ultimately only you can make the decision....

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Sun 16-Aug-09 21:28:00

Message withdrawn

SmallScrewCap Sun 16-Aug-09 21:39:24

Thanks everyone this is really helpful, especially to hear that if it all gets too much and I go for another section that I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

It's easy to be gung-ho for VBAC when you're fit, well, and 30 weeks pregnant - quite different when you're 39 weeks, feeling a bit crap and being piddled about by the hospital!

Have had some chats this evening with friends and family who have had straightforward vaginal deliveries and it's really helped. Of course I know plenty of people who have had difficult vaginal deliveries, but I am trying to give them a miss for the next couple of weeks ;)

At the moment I'm thinking VBAC is on again, but to take a section if it's indicated again in a week or so.

superduperminder Sun 16-Aug-09 21:49:53

Oh I agree things can certainly look different when you are full term and huffing and puffing everywhere!

Even though my vbac failed and I had another (unwanted) section, I have no regrets and the main thing was, I got a lovely fat, squidgy, healthy baby at the end of it.

Go with your heart - take it day one day at a time. They can't physically pin you down and force you to do anything you don't want to do!

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know what happens smile

SmallScrewCap Sun 16-Aug-09 22:03:06

Thank you superduperminder

and thanks for reminding me that babies are squidgy, mmm, squidgy babies... I will take that one into labour or theatre with me!

SmallScrewCap Mon 17-Aug-09 10:17:58

I have phoned the hospital and they have agreed to leave me alone to try and VBAC for 2 weeks (besides monitoring) if nothing changes.

The decision feels so right, and if I do need a section later, at least I will be able to tell myself that I didn't give up and tried everything to make VBAC work.

Thanks everyone for talking it through with me last night.

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Mon 17-Aug-09 11:10:37

Message withdrawn

BetsyBoop Mon 17-Aug-09 22:44:40

great news SSC

As you said, you can change your mind whenever your like (I was having major wobbles on the morning of my el c/s at 40+10 & almost called it off, but with hindsight, glad I didn't ) - I'm sure hospitals are used to women changing their mind wink

philmassive Mon 17-Aug-09 22:55:42

Good luck, and glad that you've been able to have the breathing space to think it through.

I'm sending happy and hopeful vibes to you - my vbac with ds2 was the best and most healing experience of my life. smile

landrover Thu 20-Aug-09 12:22:30

Any news?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now