Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed at SIL

(15 Posts)
jerin Sat 15-Aug-09 20:33:41

Sorry but I am! My SIL and her partner are putting their names down for a council house. They currently rent privately and live with their 2 year old daughter. He earns 40k a year (thats what he puts thru the books anyway) and she works cash in hand on top of that. Does anyone know if they are eligible to get housed? They have a large debt they're paying off but thats nearly paid now. They, he in particular are so tight.... my DP used to help him out at work and even took a week off work -unpaid-to work for him full time (we were completely skint at the time and I was pregnant) and he never paid him. My other BIL has recently been helping him out and he has now told him he cant pay him either. And given him an old car that he couldnt sell! My SIL promised me some of my neices bits when I found out I was expecting twins and still a year later I've not got them.... even though she says she'll bring them everytime she comes.
Sorry - so long but feel better now I've had a rant!!

CarGirl Sat 15-Aug-09 20:36:02

anyone can put their names down, doesn't mean they'll be offered anything soon. In fact they may have to put their name down to go through the shared ownership route, I had to do that but it was 9 years ago?

OrangeFish Sat 15-Aug-09 20:36:27

If they don't qualify for it, they won't get it. No matter how nice or awful they could be. End of story.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Sat 15-Aug-09 20:36:48

I don't think the fact they are tight, dishonest people will stop them getting a council house.

StayFrostyBoobNazisCureCancer Sat 15-Aug-09 20:39:51

Anyone can put their name down for social housing. That is why it is so great and there is nowhere near enough of it. They will be assessed on need, awarded points, and then depending on circs will have to wait. They could be on the list for > 10 years.

yanbu to dislike them - no one likes everyone - but yabu to resent them doing something they are perfectly entitled to do, ie put their names down for a council house. It's nowt to do with you.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 15-Aug-09 20:49:46

As others have said, anyone can put their name down for a council house - a friend of a friend got one because she was homeless (had sold an untraceable house in ROI for £100k profit). She is now living there for £68 a week (a lovely 3 bed semi that normal market rent would be £900- £1200 per month)and slowly spending her money on a really great lifestyle - has offshore bank account.

There are always going to be some people who cheat the system.

I think the best thing is to have an attitude towards life that just looks at yourself and what you are culpable for - anything else just ties you in emotional knots.

jerin Sat 15-Aug-09 21:06:57

Wow..... I'm a bit niave when it comes to the system but always imagined that if you could afford your own house you'd not get a council house. Sorry just got a little annoyed when they smugly told me that they wanted a council house in idyllic rural village and would start claiming housing benefit. Thought there would be a cut off point as to when you werent eligible for benefits ....

RealityIsHavingAPartay Sat 15-Aug-09 21:14:15

Message withdrawn

danthe4th Sat 15-Aug-09 21:19:12

We have neighbours who suddenly had the parents living with them.They had sold there house and put there name down for a council house stating overcrowding, it took 6 months but they have now moved into a nice 2 bed bungalow, have a nice new car and been on holiday.It seems very unfair.

StayFrostyDMisaVileRag Sat 15-Aug-09 21:45:04

Why? Why is it unfair? You don't know why they had to sell their house. They only did what anyone else is entitled to do, including you, if you really want. Why do you care about what other random people have or do?

imo there should be more social housing and more long term tenancies.

NightShoe Sat 15-Aug-09 21:54:17

YABU. It has sod all to do with you actually. Worry more about your own life.

choufleur Sat 15-Aug-09 21:59:45

if they're in private rented and can afford it then they probably won't get a council or HA home (unless they are threatened with homelessness or are overcrowded, even so if they can afford the deposit on another privately rented they shouldn't get as many points)

RealityIsHavingAPartay Sat 15-Aug-09 22:04:15

Message withdrawn

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 15-Aug-09 22:04:31

The Queen could put her name down if she wanted to!!!! grin

Many councils / HA (cos a lot of councils turned much of their stock over to HAs!) have things like a points system.

top points - unintentionally homeless with children! (unintentionally is key cos if they decide you have intentionally made yourself homeless, they won't help you!)
then things like overcrowding, disabilities, medical problems, etc, etc.

If you don't have a lot of points then, depending on where you live, you've got feck all chance of ever getting a council house!!

landrover Thu 20-Aug-09 12:18:58

ponts make houses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now