Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if it is a tad over the top to start getting threads deleted in case the DM are watching

(21 Posts)
Trillian Sat 15-Aug-09 17:05:28

I know they have done some out of order stuff and caused distress to some posters and I do think that is very bad, but this is the internet, anyone can view it and if people do not want the chance of someone reading they don't like the MIL or they were upset someone told off their child for being naughty then do not post it.

I understand if it is something with too much personal detail in, but some of the ones are not very interesting here let alone in a newspaper

It is very annoying when threads just vanish

KIMItheThreadSlayer Sat 15-Aug-09 17:12:25

Where did the mailbaiting thread go?
The one with thresa from london

beanieb Sat 15-Aug-09 17:17:50

if they are not very interesting then surely it doesn't matter if they are deleted? grin

KingCanuteIAmAndTheDMCanFOff Sat 15-Aug-09 17:19:04

AFAIK HQ are rufusing to delete ones that do not have identifying info in them so perhaps there was another problem with those threads?

KIMItheThreadSlayer Sat 15-Aug-09 17:26:37

The mail baiting one was interesting and I was half way through reading it when I lost it, that will teach me to go to the loo when MN-ing grin

anyoldDMfucker Sat 15-Aug-09 17:27:21

if i wanted the daily garbage to know that stuff id post it straight on there thanks. i knew that lots of people i dont now would read when i joined mumsnet but i didnt take into account a few million more from the daily garbage including people who would probably never think to look on mumsnet as theyre not a parent.

Trillian Sat 15-Aug-09 17:31:14

Would people be this upset over it if it were any other news paper and not the Mail?

GrimmaTheNome Sat 15-Aug-09 17:34:35

Less upset, I think because:
a) another paper might have a more responsible level of journalism
b) less likely to be stumbled on by ones DM reading MIL.

Morloth Sat 15-Aug-09 17:37:58

I hate it when people want to delete threads. I pretty much write them off as hysterical. Might not be very fair or nice of me, but there you go.

MrsMattie Sat 15-Aug-09 17:40:31

They Daily Mail is so unbelievably shit it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that a few of the woman haters (including the God awful self-hating female 'journalists') over there are reduced to trawling internet forums for fodder. Leave 'em to it, I say.

RafiToreTheDMUpForCatLitter Sun 16-Aug-09 09:06:28

The baiting thread still seems to be up:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/808080-Daily-Vile-baiting-is-this-bad-of-me

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 16-Aug-09 10:33:40

I can't help thinking that most of what is written here doesn't actually MATTER and nobody cares and I can't think of many examples where someone would be harmed by being included in the daily mail.

I mean, if you are fleeing an abusive ex, and you decided to post details of that, and your whereabouts, on MN and the daily mail took that thread and reproduced it and your ex happened to see it and decided to see if it was you and joined mn and searched your history and decided it was you and looked at your profile and you'd put your pic up and the town you lived in and he went to the town and walked round it till he found you...

hmm

The thing to remember is that most people don't care enough about you to even bother. None of us are that important to anyone!

KingCanuteIAmAndTheDMCanFOff Sun 16-Aug-09 13:11:19

Hecate, I think part of the point is that there are times where you are recognisable by your style, phrases etc and so it may not need all the skullduggery, creeping around, signin up to MN etc. One thread being published could be enough to out you to someone who knows you well and potentially cause some pretty terrible situations - even without posting anything obviously identifiable like your town etc.

SoupDragon Sun 16-Aug-09 13:13:06

Yes, it's utterly ridiculous.

If you don't want people to read something, don't post it on a public forum.

It is no secret that there are journalists posting here.

KingCanuteIAmAndTheDMCanFOff Sun 16-Aug-09 13:14:34

grin

Have you got that on copy/paste Soupy? wink

SoupDragon Sun 16-Aug-09 13:24:29

[shrug]

Just like the people making the same comments about privacy.

MamazontheDailyMailtakingadump Sun 16-Aug-09 13:28:49

i do think it is slightly vain to think that what you post is so fascinating a newspaper would want to print it. but tbh i am quite happy that i only post things i am happy for the world to see so its not an real issue for me.

KingCanuteIAmAndTheDMCanFOff Sun 16-Aug-09 13:48:48

I know soupy, I was attempting levity about the situation, never mind.

Mamazon, I would suspect that, of the threads lifted so far, the ops did not think they were fascinating enough to make a newspaper article (wasn't one about spray tanning?) so no, not vain really, just recognising that the DM, apparently, have no standards shock wink

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 16-Aug-09 14:12:34

I just think it is a bit pathetic for them to lift qyotes tbh. I can see that Mn is very zeitgeisty in that what we are interested in/problems we experience are likely to be of interest to other people, but Ithink it is shabby journalism to just lift quotes.

Personally fine with it highlighting actualy issues of interest to women, but I guess innaccurate crappy quoting has just made people more self-protective.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Mon 17-Aug-09 23:54:14

How about if they changed the names?

horriblemonday Tue 18-Aug-09 11:10:44

I have posted on mumsnet knowing that close friends and family do not use the site. It is also highly unlikely that they would buy a mumsnet book. So, I felt kind of protcted and able to ask for advice on sensitive issues.

However, some people I know do read the daily mail. This is probablly true for many mumsnetters. For example, a drunk and abusive partner is unlikely to use mumsnet, but might read newspapers. This will put people off posting. Of course we should be able to delete threads, especially now that we are all unpaid journalists for the mail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now