Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed when DP is constantly dipping his fingers/spoons in pots and eating the not yet ready dinner?

(20 Posts)
happynanny22 Sat 15-Aug-09 11:15:48

This gets me so mad. I am the only cook in our house - DP can't cook to save himself. Well - he feels he can but I wouldn't eat anything he made. He does things like cook mince in the microwave and then adds it to make sauce. Yuck. So basically it's down to me pretty exclusively.

Anyway, had a huge row last night because I am so sick of him coming into the kitchen and dipping his finger in the saucepan when I'm cooking - and getting under my feet! He is always snacking on the meat or whatever I have finished first. It just drives me mad. I try to be patient but he just won't stop!!!!!

AIBU?

generalunrest Sat 15-Aug-09 12:40:07

You should take it as a compliment that your DP can't keep his hands off what you're cooking smile The way to a mans heart is through his stomach and all that!

It is annoying to have children/pets under your feet when you're going backwards and forwards all the time, but so long as he's appreciating the work you're putting in, I wouldn't worry about it.

picmaestress Sat 15-Aug-09 12:48:38

Sounds really annoying, YANBU. You have to be honest in these situations, they become a really big annoyance if left unchecked.
I'd make him a snack to eat elsewhere and say 'please leave me in peace to cook' ;)

bigchris Sat 15-Aug-09 12:51:44

cant you just tell him to pack it in?

ComeOVeneer Sat 15-Aug-09 12:52:43

I find this the heaight of bad manners and it isn't allowed in my house, so I totally sympathise!

GypsyMoth Sat 15-Aug-09 12:55:36

is it really worth even worrying about? in the grand scheme of things what is it? a minor irritation......

Sn0wflake Sat 15-Aug-09 13:38:31

I personally find it infuriating. YANBU

Confuzzeled Sat 15-Aug-09 13:52:15

YANBU, I hate this. I especially hate it when he eats and snacks and then says he doesn't want much dinner because he's already quite full, aaaaaaaaaarrrrgh.

famishedass Sat 15-Aug-09 13:52:33

Oh my dc do this. I've found the answer is to keep a wooden spoon close at hand and immediately rap them on the knuckles if their fingers go within a foot of my cooking pot.

Works for me!!!

Trikken Sat 15-Aug-09 13:53:28

Dh knows better than to interfere with anything whilst im cooking, unless specifically asked to, like cheese grating. next time he eats the meat before you've finished cooking eg bolognaise give him less then everyone else, when he asks why tell him he's already eaten his share.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 15-Aug-09 14:28:10

mine does this. Drives me crazy! I hit him with the spoon. Really really hard. And tell him to get lost. He gives me a big grin and nicks another bit. I tell him that if he takes any more, that'll be all he gets for dinner. He tells me it's my fault for making such lovely food. hmm

I've taken to yelling at him to get out as soon as he sets foot in the kitchen!

CyradisTheSeer Sat 15-Aug-09 14:28:43

Message withdrawn

differentID Sat 15-Aug-09 15:03:02

Oh God I've shouted at mine to stay out of the effing kitchen or I'll chop his effing hands off. Said whilst holding a knife has a great effect. He now gets his drink and gets out quickly.

2rebecca Sat 15-Aug-09 15:06:10

I'd get annoyed with this, it sounds as though you should have moaned at him the first time he did it though, like you would with a child, rather than tolerate it for years then explode. Just shoo him out if he comes in the kitchen and don't let him snack/ tell him if he insists on snacking he can sort his own dinner out if he's not got the patience to wait for you to cook. Tell him he's behaving like an impatient small child.

oneopinionatedmother Sat 15-Aug-09 15:12:47

YANBU

so not unreasonable - my MIL does it and it drives me crackers - she once picked at a pudding i had served before i finished the custard, and took a different one leaving me with the one she'd picked at!!

never forgiven her.

I think if DH did this divorce would not be unlikely.

fortunately he does lots of cooking himself, and keeps busy with the babies whilst I cook.

NightShoe Sat 15-Aug-09 22:06:56

YANBU, I find a good whack with a wooden spoon teamed with a 'just sod off out of the kitchen!'helps the situation.

Greensleeves Sat 15-Aug-09 22:08:45

generalunrest the way to a man's heart is through his chest grin

I am the infernal nibbler of unready dinners in this house blush

but I do cook! when I was a kid it was called "cook's privilege"

landrover Wed 19-Aug-09 19:01:58

yeuch

ABetaDad Wed 19-Aug-09 19:40:36

happynanny22 - aww give him a break. This sounds a nice and loving and appreciative thing. I do all the cooking in our house and actually would not mind if DW came and dipped her fingers in all my pots. Kind of sensual I think.

I do often feed her bit of a taster of a sauce sauce on a spoon or nice crispy bit off the joint on Sunday before lunch. I like it when she just sits at the island in our kitchen chatting to me and sipping wine and maing appreciative noises about my cooking. She does set the table .... though what does really annoy me is when she starts tidyng up before I have finished. Now that does cause me to think 'leave me alone!'.

landrover Thu 20-Aug-09 13:22:31

bin him!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now