Talk

Advanced search

to hate it when parents 'hold' little girls when they need an emergency wee?

(109 Posts)
cheekster Fri 14-Aug-09 21:14:11

I know emergencies happen, but it just looks awful.

Saw this happen today in a shop doorway shock

MmeLindt Fri 14-Aug-09 21:15:52

What else are they supposed to do? My DD is now 7yo and can wee alone but it takes some practice.

Would not let her wee in a shop doorway though, that is disgusting. Would not even let my dog wee in a shop doorway.

gingernutlover Fri 14-Aug-09 21:16:40

if you dont hold them up, it goes everywhere grin

not that i would ever ever do it in a shop doorway (that is unreasonable) only ever done it at the side of a road and behind a very large bush in a massive country park - we now have a portable potty!

lockets Fri 14-Aug-09 21:19:17

Message withdrawn

morningpaper Fri 14-Aug-09 21:19:22

Do you have any girls? Or have you, yourself, tried pissing freestyle? It just goes straight into your shoes. You need something to balance against.

never had to do it tbh, but would not dream of doing it in doorway, that terrible shock

Sawyer64 Fri 14-Aug-09 21:20:26

I'f you don't "hold" them, they wee in their knickers and down their legs.Whats the problem with holding them?

I would never let them wee in a shop door way though.hmm
I'd know before I went in the shop usually that they we desperate and not able to hold on any longer.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 14-Aug-09 21:20:39

What do you mean it looks awful? Please explain.
Wee all over the child looks even more awful no? Very few girls of two have the coordination to wee standing up without being held.
Now if you had posted regarding parents allowing their child to wee in a shop doorway I would have agreed with you.

cheekster Fri 14-Aug-09 21:22:58

I havent any DD, no. But when I childminded my 2 neices I would take a potty with me in the buggy basket if i knew there were no public toilets around.

lockets Fri 14-Aug-09 21:23:38

Message withdrawn

GrimmaTheNome Fri 14-Aug-09 21:25:01

What do you suggest they do instead?

Obviously the shop doorway part is a no-no, and it should be done discreetly as possible, but even now she's 10 DD needs an occasional 'hold' in the depths of a forest or behind a wall on the fells if we're too far from loos. I'd really love to hear a practical alternative! grin

deepdarkwood Fri 14-Aug-09 21:25:07

If you hold them, they won't wee on their legs/shoes/socks/pants.

Although clearly, this is more fun up against a tree, rather than in a doorway

theyoungvisiter Fri 14-Aug-09 21:25:10

I have literally no idea what you are on about. Why on earth shouldn't parents hold children who need a wee? I sometimes hold up DS as he is too short to wee into a grownup loo and his bottom is too small for the seat.

Weeing in a shop doorway is offensive full stop - whether held, standing, sitting or spraying with your leg cocked. Nothing to do with being "held"

lockets Fri 14-Aug-09 21:25:11

Message withdrawn

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 14-Aug-09 21:25:31

IIRC you have a baby DS, Cheekster. So wait until you are in the situation described and then see.

KingCanuteIAmAndTheDMCanFOff Fri 14-Aug-09 21:27:29

YABU - and silly, I seem to be saying that a lot on MN recntly hmm

GrimmaTheNome Fri 14-Aug-09 21:28:36

I am NOT carrying a potty in my rucksack or bike pannier! grin But you won't see us anyway unless you deliberately wade through an awful lot of undergrowth and peer behind the largest tree or boulder.

misdee Fri 14-Aug-09 21:28:50

lol. only had to do this once, for dd1 who is 9. she found it hilarious and begged me not to drop her in the wee.

me and dd1 were giggling loads, dh just shook his head at us

theyoungvisiter Fri 14-Aug-09 21:29:31

why is it better to wee in a potty?

Is what you are really saying that you don't like seeing little girls genitals in public?

Out of interest, is it any better letting your little boy pee against a tree in your book?

cheekster Fri 14-Aug-09 21:29:56

I just think weeing on a potty is much more discrete.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 14-Aug-09 21:31:27

Prudish, are you?

K999 Fri 14-Aug-09 21:31:27

ladies, check out the history of this poster.......there are a few weird threads on MN tonight....

Heated Fri 14-Aug-09 21:31:41

DD (3) is convinced she can wee standing up like dh and ds. Having tried all different angles and permutations, she thinks she's cracked it - today she proudly weed through her clothes onto the lawn.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 14-Aug-09 21:34:43

Of course weeing on a potty is more discrete. All the wee goes in one place.

Its not more discreet though. Lugging a large plastic object around in case your DD needs to go. And they've still got to wipe and re-knicker, I really don't see how it helps.

lockets Fri 14-Aug-09 21:35:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now