Talk

Advanced search

To want and encourage my son to leave his job??

(19 Posts)
twinkletoescare Fri 14-Aug-09 19:35:45

Now hear me out ladies.........!!!
Ds2 is training at a well known salon and i want and am encouraging him to leave and work for the same chain of salons but in a different local town....
He has been there a year and is getting little done in the way of training,works with a load of hurtfull bitches,the boss is utterly useless and seldom there to oversee the running of the place,the cleanliness of the salon(and this is a highly priced well known global chain of salons!) i find appaling and all in all its just a bit slack...
I know hes fortunate to have a job in this current climate but i feel he is not getting the right start in his career by being at this salon.
He likes some of the girls that work there and i suppose being a 17yr old lad kinda likes the layed back (slack) attitude of the place...
So should i be encouraging him to leave or just let him get on with it?
AIBU?

twinkletoescare Fri 14-Aug-09 20:01:38

Oh lord i am BU arent i?!!!

KIMItheThreadSlayer Fri 14-Aug-09 20:04:08

If you feel he is not being given the training he is supposed to be getting can you get him to talk to someone about it?

twinkletoescare Fri 14-Aug-09 20:27:33

he has Kim...whoever he talks to always passes the buck and nothing gets done!
Extremly frustrating angry

SerendipitousHarlot Fri 14-Aug-09 20:50:17

Part of me is screaming IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, HE'S AN ADULT!!!

And the other part of me would feel exactly the same as you blush

So no, I don't think you're BU grin

slowreadingprogress Fri 14-Aug-09 21:04:06

well he's not an adult yet! If it were me I'd be thinking that until he's 18 I'm entitled to a wee bit of at least attempting to influence things. Maybe you could look out any possible opportunities in other salons and discuss them with him....I mean, it's not a crime to be interested and want your son to be in a place which will help him meet his potential....

twinkletoescare Fri 14-Aug-09 21:22:03

Slowreading,yes i have noted a vacancy at the other local slaon where he will still get the same training. smile

SerendipitousHarlot, hes not an adult yet,hes just turned 17 and im still supporting him finacially as his wages are pittance so i think its very much my buisness! wink grin

slowreadingprogress Fri 14-Aug-09 21:29:20

good for you twinkletoes.....I think there's no harm in discussing it with him and him knowing that you're interested in him getting on in life. I guess if he's adamant then at his age you can't really force the issue but I think it's basically good that you are role modelling to him that if we want to meet our potential in life we don't just coast, we go out and look for places that will be better for us in the long term.

I think it's fine - you're not trying to influence him to another career or to an area he's not going to be happy in. You're just being a mum who wants the best for her child within the area they've chosen. Go for it.

twinkletoescare Fri 14-Aug-09 23:28:31

slowreading, thank you. smile

Thats the way i see it.
Ds does want to leave its the couple of girls he really gets on with that stopping him....

twinkletoescare Sun 16-Aug-09 17:16:28

any more views on this?

ruddynorah Sun 16-Aug-09 17:18:14

is he at college as well?

twinkletoescare Sun 16-Aug-09 17:34:16

No Ruddynorah he trains at the salon. smile

ruddynorah Sun 16-Aug-09 19:12:10

so will they give him some qualifications at some point? is there an internal course he's following?

could he sign up for a hairdressing course at college alongside working in the salon part time? best of both kind of thing?

twinkletoescare Sun 16-Aug-09 19:18:14

Yes he will be fully qualified. he works for Toni&Guy and they do there own training at the salon and then at the T&G academy.
college is not an option as T&G have their own unique way of training.smile

ruddynorah Sun 16-Aug-09 19:23:09

he needs to ask for a review of his progress with his manager. and get a proper plan set up. sounds like a waste of time though. better if he was at college.

twinkletoescare Sun 16-Aug-09 19:27:59

I dont think he would be better at college TBH as the training he gets at T&G is 2nd to none.
however i think he does need to move salons and this is what i am encouraging him to do. smile
Thanks for your advice. smile

ruddynorah Sun 16-Aug-09 20:21:03

um you said the training isn't happening smile

twinkletoescare Sun 16-Aug-09 22:25:16

did i?
i think i said little is happening in the way of training....
regardless,he wouldnt get T&G training at college..

landrover Wed 19-Aug-09 19:34:15

its up to him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now