Talk

Advanced search

What and how much exercise do you do on a weekly basis?

(46 Posts)
sunfleurs Fri 14-Aug-09 18:49:38

I am interested in this. I run 4 times a week, swim once a week and sometimes go on a cross trainer in the evening if I have time.

Exercise is a huge part of my life. Out of all the women I know, apart from my sister, not one of them goes to a gym or swimming or anything really. I just wondered what people on here do? If you do exercise, why do you do it?, if you don't why don't you do it?

I think I do it because my dad was in the army and then I was and being fit was a big part of that. It helps with my depression too. Just nosy and interested in other peoples exercise habits really.

sunfleurs Fri 14-Aug-09 18:51:12

Just realised I have posted in AIBU. I mean't to post in chat so don't give me a hard time please. Will put it there.

nekonix Fri 14-Aug-09 18:54:08

i have wii fit at home which i do when i can and i also do a lot of walking.

i find it hard to find the time to exercise.

i work in a school running around after children all day so when i get home and finish all my home chores im pretty tired and cant get motivated to do anything.

i do try and exercise 3 - 4 times a week tho.

Minxie1977 Fri 14-Aug-09 18:54:24

I swim twice a week (ish) and walk my dogs every day. I used to go to the gym but I find really boring. TBH, I hate exercising alone, or doing anyhting on my own really, so having my dogs with me is a great motivator - if only they'd let them in the pool!!

watsthestory Fri 14-Aug-09 18:55:43

Message withdrawn

nekonix Fri 14-Aug-09 19:02:53

whats your secret watsthestory?

i cant seem to get motivated - even at home.

sunfleurs Fri 14-Aug-09 19:08:44

My motivation is thinking how great I will feel after I have done it. I feel restless and sluggish if I don't exercise. Can't stand that feeling.

nekonix Fri 14-Aug-09 19:11:34

with me the intentions are there and extremely genuine. i have lots of support from dh but when it comes to it well, i just don't know.
i am working on it but its a slow progress,

Lizzylou Fri 14-Aug-09 19:14:01

I have got back into running again, so run at least 3/4 times a week, and do exercise DVDs when I can.
I am trying to lose weight though, it is when I reach my goal weight that my enthusiasm for exercising drops right off.
So then I gain weight....and it goes on.

watsthestory Fri 14-Aug-09 19:16:18

Message withdrawn

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 14-Aug-09 19:17:50

bugger all. blush

have got one of those mini exercise bikes, you know, you sit on your sofa and pedal! I used that for a while then it started to make my knees crunch, so I'm having a break.

nekonix Fri 14-Aug-09 19:19:05

more motivation and determination is needed on my part i think.

watsthestory Fri 14-Aug-09 19:22:37

Message withdrawn

nekonix Fri 14-Aug-09 19:28:45

after talking about all this exercise i have just promised myself that im going to give it a go.

am getting married next year so that can be my motivation.

will give it a go.

15 minutes each day starting from tomorrow.

Morloth Fri 14-Aug-09 19:31:30

I do 3 1 hour cardio sessions a and 3 1.5 hours resistance sessions per week.

Though having said that, with the school holidays I haven't been working out as much. As soon as school starts again I will be back into it.

If I am going to skip something it is usually the cardio cause I don't enjoy it much.

AchduLieberHimmel Fri 14-Aug-09 19:42:02

I run 5 times a week. Between 5 and 12k depending on time/weather and do some basic stomach/back work and stretching at the end of each run. Also do a long swim on a Sunday. Work in a couple of resistance workouts in the week.

I don't drive so cycle everywhere with dd on my crossbar.

I exercise because it makes me feel better, fitter, stronger, more positive, energised, boosts self esteem, gives me time to order my thoughts and I miss it when I can't.

Seona1973 Fri 14-Aug-09 19:59:56

I go to a couple of classes at the sports centre - body pump and an aerobics/body conditioning class. I can only go to classes between 10am and 12pm as the gym only has a creche for 2 hours a day and ds has to go to it as he isnt in nursery yet. I dont go at night as dh gets in late and I have 2 kids that need sorting out. I have managed to keep it up quite well in the holidays although it has meant paying double in creche fees as dd has had to go there too as she is not at school.

lovechoc Fri 14-Aug-09 20:05:53

I use an exercise bike three times a week. I do it because I have one at home and I enjoy the buzz I get from this kind of exercise (I don't need to worry about the cost of a gym membership - It's great!!).

It is hard work, but I do notice the difference to be honest. I feel a bit fitter, and have been doing this kind of exercise for three months now. Hope to keep it up for good.

Besides this kind of regular exercise, I also enjoy walking. If I had a swimming pool close by I'd probably go for a swim too.

Heated Fri 14-Aug-09 20:13:19

20 mins a day cross-trainer & 10 mins weights.

Have damaged my knee so am limited as to what I can do. Really miss running.

racmac Fri 14-Aug-09 20:14:44

I go running 3 times a week - about 6 miles wice a week and about 3 miles on the other day.

Hoping to increase this with some resistance work when the little darlings have gone back to school

I feel really fed up if i dont get out and run - it helps clear my head and although its hard i feel great afterwards

weegiemum Fri 14-Aug-09 20:16:31

I walk 2-3 miles a day (in term time)
I swim twice a week
I run around like a fly with a blue bottom in the holidays.

I do it cos it makes me feel better, and the walking cos I really have no other option.

I wish it made some difference to my weight. I think as I am doing the same as I have done for years I need to step it up if I want to lose weight.

ElieRM Fri 14-Aug-09 21:11:11

2 mile jog everyday, and walk 2-3 miles a day. and running round after dd
feel like i'm going mad if i don't run, it helps me sleep and am starting to lose the weight i put on when i was pregnant.
although the fact i'm not eating 8 packets of wotsits,12 slices of cheese on toast and a family ize bar of galxy everyday probably helps.
those who say you don't exercise- looking after dc's, housework, work etc probably means that if you had apedometer you'd see you were doing enough steps a day to equal the recommended amount of excercise

slowreadingprogress Fri 14-Aug-09 21:22:38

I've found it really hard. When ds was pre school age I was at home with him, unless I was at work for 2 days per week. Basically I've been either at home WITH him, or travelling to work or from work. I simply did not have it in me to stop off on the way home from work and go to a gym or something, A) I was always desperate to see him and B)I've used my mum or MIL as childcare and I want to relieve them asap because they are there while I work, not anything else.

Then I was the one to take him to school, and work for me went to 5 days a week so was at home till 9 then trying to get to work like 5 minutes ago!

Evenings for us have meant a very full on routine with ds who has never been able to sleep and needs visits/reassurance - yes we take turns, and I can go out in the evening but I know that this disrupts DS' ability to drop off so I know that my swim or whatever may mean a child awake till 10 instead of 8 iyswim.

Oh and add into that I've had an underactive thyroid which has meant that, come the evening, I am more shattered than I can explain so getting out or even up to exercise has been more than I've been capable of.

Sorry to ramble but you said you wanted to know why some people haven't exercised.

Having said all that, DS is older now and things are easier and we fit exercise in more. We play badminton as a family at the weekend, and swim together at the weekend as well. We have a Wii fit and I love doing that and do it most nights now....so we're getting there but for some people I feel there are reasons which do make it difficult to get into the exercise habit

And I would rather gnaw off my own limbs than go to a gym, I hate them and find it SO boring

forehead Fri 14-Aug-09 21:41:46

I don't do any kind of structured exercise.I just walk everywhere. I don't like gyms as they resemble torture chambers. I also find that when i go to the gym my appetite increases and i put on weight. Since i started walking , i have become fitter and much slimmer.

deste Fri 14-Aug-09 21:50:59

Body Balance 3 times a week, Power yoga/Yoga twice a week. 45 mins on cross trainer, (power walking) 3 times a week and 10 minutes on the ski machine 3 times a week. Half hour abs class once a week. I also cycle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now