Talk

Advanced search

to think that you should at least hoover before having a kids party?

(111 Posts)
allaboutme Thu 13-Aug-09 16:47:05

I'm probably being a middle class snob, but have just taken DCs to a birthday party at a boy from school's house.

The cream carpet was black with dogs hairs. There was dog hair in the party food.
There was a washing bin overflowing with dirty underwear all on the floor in the bathroom.
At one point my DS dropped his dummy and it was so dirty when I picked it up, I stuck it straight in my bag!

On top of that there were only fizzy drinks on offer - i had to ask for something non fizzy

and the house stank of smoke. Birthday boys Mum nipped out for a fag a couple of times during the 2 hour party.

AIBU to think they could have at least hoovered or tidied a little bit before inviting 15 kids and their parents round???

beanieb Thu 13-Aug-09 16:49:25

Oh dear! I won't be inviting you to mine then grin

K999 Thu 13-Aug-09 16:50:52

Why bother? After a kids party the place would be trashed anyway...grin

OneStroke Thu 13-Aug-09 16:51:15

It's terribly common to notice let alone comment on other peoples' housekeeping skills. They've probably got more important things to do than housework. I know I have.
YABU.

allaboutme Thu 13-Aug-09 16:55:29

grin thought i might be unreasonable

just cant imagine living in house in that state, let alone other people seeing it

i actually feel a bit sick at the thought of it, feel like i've got a dog hair stuck in my throat -perhaps i have ocd.....

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Thu 13-Aug-09 16:56:33

I'm not inviting you to mine then

poopscoop Thu 13-Aug-09 16:56:48

snob!

Get a life

poopscoop Thu 13-Aug-09 16:57:21

No chance of you being middle class. They would not comment.

dal21 Thu 13-Aug-09 16:57:45

YANBU

You dont have to make the place immaculate by any means. But the rest of the stuff (other peoples dirty underwear on the floor) - is gross!

ilovesprouts Thu 13-Aug-09 16:58:40

yanbu ,she could of given it a quick vac round !! dirty bitch grin!!hair in party food yuk !!

gingernutlover Thu 13-Aug-09 17:00:10

no way would my house ever get to that state let alone anyway else see it like it

but

other people have different priorities, what is important to you is obviously not to them

to be fair i would be feeling the same as you about the dog hairs in the food though - it is unreasonable to give other peoples kids food with dog hairs in it - yuk

allaboutme Thu 13-Aug-09 17:00:49

oh i'm not middle class at all grin

mrspnut Thu 13-Aug-09 17:01:26

YANBU - a bit of mess is fine, dog hair in the food is certainly not.

SoupDragon Thu 13-Aug-09 17:02:47

snob.

ilovesprouts Thu 13-Aug-09 17:05:30

i dont think shes been a snob, no way would i have a kids party with my house like that !!

Greensleeves Thu 13-Aug-09 17:05:34

I am so heartened by the responses on this thread grin

we don'[t have a dog and I would clean before a party, so there certainly wouldn't be hairs/grot in the food

but my house is a pigsty, if you popped in to see me unexpectedly this week you OULWD find piles of grotty washing, piles of ironing, carpets not hoovered, unwashed pans on hob etc

In my defence I have been ill for ages (now have UTI, fever and seem to be coming down with another cold/fluey thing - joy unbounded)

but if you popped in to see me without calling ahead you would probably think I was a disgusting slattern

in fact I am keeping my friends at arms length and not letting them pop in and see me because I think they would run a mile if they saw my filthy floors and overflowing washing pile blush

proverbial Thu 13-Aug-09 17:06:04

Its snobby to not want dog hair in your food? I'm practically a communist but if that makes me bourgois nose in the air then count me in! grin

herladyship Thu 13-Aug-09 17:06:13

smoking - yuk
hair in the food - yuk

carpet - tbh i can understand why someone might wait unitl AFTER the party to hoover grin

brave woman to invite 15 kids & parents round though, sounds like a nightmare to me!!

Sn0wflake Thu 13-Aug-09 17:09:45

YANBU - it should be clean..... I don't care if a place is untidy but if you have kids you should keep it hygienic. Is it really snobby to have a few standards? Then I'll be one thanks.

junglist1 Thu 13-Aug-09 17:09:53

Just be grateful you were invited to the party. The rest is neither here nor hair really

Greensleeves Thu 13-Aug-09 17:10:56

what do you do when you are ill then snowflake? I can't afford staff hmm

HerBeatitude Thu 13-Aug-09 17:13:57

God this middle class snobbery about hygiene.

Thinking dog-hairs in food is not OK is not snobby, it's sane. Thinking it's OK is some kind of perverse middle-class reverse snobbery - as long as we're not Hyacinth Bucket, who cares if there's salmonella on the piano? Stuff and nonsense, pass the parcel.

Gawd 'elp us.

HerBeatitude Thu 13-Aug-09 17:13:59

God this middle class snobbery about hygiene.

Thinking dog-hairs in food is not OK is not snobby, it's sane. Thinking it's OK is some kind of perverse middle-class reverse snobbery - as long as we're not Hyacinth Bucket, who cares if there's salmonella on the piano? Stuff and nonsense, pass the parcel.

Gawd 'elp us.

allaboutme Thu 13-Aug-09 17:14:30

but if you are ill then its not usual standards and of course thats fine
if you were having a party, even if you felt ill before hand and didnt have time to clean up, surely you'd ask a friend to help out or something, just so it was a bit hygenic?

HerBeatitude Thu 13-Aug-09 17:15:45

I'd just cancel the party if I was ill. Imagine 15 kids runnign around when you're feeling like shit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: