Talk

Advanced search

Does "Bring it On" mean "I'm ready to have sex with you" ?

(15 Posts)
lljkk Thu 13-Aug-09 15:34:47

Because that's what they were saying on Radio 5 Live phone in yesterday.
Or good as. It was all about how parents shouldn't buy their daughters t-shirts with slogans on them because that will encourage sexual attacks.

They talked at great length about an example of a young teen being chatted up by an older male because she worse a shirt saying "Bring it On", and how the parents had been so irresponsible to let her wear that.

I thought that "Bring it On" meant "I'm ready for anything", not necessarily an advert for sex.

But hey ho, maybe that is what it means, I'm usually out of touch, or am I?

Oh, and isn't the T-shirt slogan rant tantamount to suggesting that women who get raped should blame themselves for dressing wrongly?

HairyMuff Thu 13-Aug-09 15:36:07

Well I must be out of touch too as I didn't think it had sexual connotations either.

screamingabdab Thu 13-Aug-09 15:37:00

No, me neither. Naff thing to have on a t-shirt, IMO, but not sexual

Tamarto Thu 13-Aug-09 15:39:50

Not far different from the whole 'a woman wearing a short skirt and low cut top is looking for it' hmm

Bring it on = ready for anything ime too.

LuvLee Thu 13-Aug-09 15:41:10

O pur-leeze don't get me started on those berks on 5 Live - they drive me insane with the shite that they spew.

SixtyFootDoll Thu 13-Aug-09 15:41:57

bring it on to me means that you are ready for a challenge, a bit like lets get on with it.
Not sexual IMO
Rubbish for a tshirt,]another reason why all slogans should be banned!

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Aug-09 15:46:05

FFS! Are we still in the Middle Ages?

I can imagine someone might see a girl with a "confident" slogan on her t-shirt and choose to chat her up rather than the one in the Laura Ashley dress, but since when did "chatting up" and "sexual attacks" become the same thing?

dittany Thu 13-Aug-09 15:47:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Aug-09 15:52:39

Even if wearing a t-shirt with that slogan meant "I'm prepared to consider the possibility of having sex" (which it doesn't), it still wouldn't mean it was ok to rape her. Even falling out of taxis in a miniskirt and no knickers doesn't mean it's ok to rape someone. Or walking down a dark alley at night, taking a shortcut across the fields, or anything else.

It's time men accepted the responsibility for keeping their dicks in their pants unless they get a clear "yes" to a clear question.

Tamarto Thu 13-Aug-09 15:56:44

Exactly even if the top said, 'I want sex' it doesn't give someone permission to rape her.

starynight Thu 13-Aug-09 15:58:12

well said AMumInScotland i totally agree!

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 13-Aug-09 15:58:33

"Bring it on" is usually used in the context of "Would you like a nice plate of chips". It is not something I would say in the bedroom. Ever.

lljkk Thu 13-Aug-09 16:02:06

Ta so much. Agree about the Berks on R5.... I just couldn't believe what both callers and presenters and expert guests were saying and all agreeing on; I could have lived with a few callers saying Toss, but they were all agreeing with each other.

duchesse Thu 13-Aug-09 16:02:46

"Bring it on" sounds more like an invitation to a fisticuffs than sex. Why can't men who think it's a carte blanche to them just bloody well take responsibility for their own actions?

dittany Thu 13-Aug-09 16:04:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now