Talk

Advanced search

to think that other people's children should not clamber all over a ride I have just paid for my son to go on

(22 Posts)
waitingforbedtime Thu 13-Aug-09 15:31:40

You know those awful Bob/Barney/Thomas rides at the supermarket and the like? EVERYTIME I put my son on one another kid clambers on and tries to shove him off, every time. I obviously tell them not to but why oh why do their parents not do that? I dont mind a kid joining ds if there are 2 seats but it's seriously beginning to piss me off.

(NB I am aware I am being unreasonable to let him go on these rides at all but I am weak)

Goblinchild Thu 13-Aug-09 15:33:59

Pick up the invader and plonk them on the ground. They're small enough to do that to.
Whilst saying 'Oh dear, do be careful, I don't want you to get hurt, the ride is moving, where is your mummy?' and all that camouflaging woffle.

LadyPinkofPinkerton Thu 13-Aug-09 15:40:22

Agree with Goblins solution. Although I am shock that people let their cihldren do this. I have never experienced it and think I would be so surprised if it happened I'm not sure what I would do.

LuvLee Thu 13-Aug-09 15:47:33

LOL - this has never happened to me. Get yourself a cattle-prod, that'll sort out the little buggers!!!

YouLukaAmazing Thu 13-Aug-09 15:50:45

Message withdrawn

ilovetochat Thu 13-Aug-09 15:55:49

this happened to me at a Haven site, put dd (2) on her first bob the builder ride and she was smiling, it started to move and 2 kids ran up, 1 jumped on the bar on the front and 1 climbed onto the back both leaning in towards dd and dd started screaming till i had to pick her off and these kids enjoyed the rest of the ride. their mom just stood there and watched saying oh didnt she like it?
i felt like saying she liked it till your 2 freeloaders loomed in her face.

moffat Thu 13-Aug-09 15:56:55

Similar thing happened to ds2 at the Science Museum yesterday. He was at an interactive screen doing patterns (after having waited for his turn for ages) and a girl just came over and shoved him out of the way. I said that ds had been there and she said she had been there first (blatant lie). Anyway, we just let the matter drop - girl's mum was nowhere to be seen and I didn't want to argue with a four year old.

But I have decided that in future I will be much firmer in a polite way and just say that people need to wait their turn. If I were you I would try say say very firmly that it is your ds' turn and they need to get off and wait. It's all in the tone of voice.

Goblinchild Thu 13-Aug-09 15:58:28

Ilovetochat, didn't she say 'They're just being friendly, they're only playing, she shouldn't be scared...'
Oh no, that's dog owners.

PuppyMonkey Thu 13-Aug-09 15:59:40

From the other side of the coin, though, DD2 was once gazing longingly at a super duper ride which had not one but THREE separate compartment/seat thingies that went round in a sort of roundabout. I had no change (and am also a meanie wink) so she couldn't go on, but then some little boy and his dad came along and put the coin in.

Now, had I been that dad, I would have immediately invited my dd to come on too - it was the same price and there were two empty seats. But the bloke just stood there not making eye contact and I felt a bit blush to ask.

Should I have just plonked her on???

YouLukaAmazing Thu 13-Aug-09 16:00:52

Message withdrawn

K999 Thu 13-Aug-09 16:00:53

Ilovetochat - the exact same thing happened to me at a Haven site..shock tbh the whole site was full of kids running around whilst their parents got hammered in the bar so I wasnt surprised!! grin

Wigglesworth Thu 13-Aug-09 16:01:50

A child tried to clamber on the Garfield ride located in a cafe/soft play area I had just paid a quid for my DS (1) to go on whilst at monkey world in Dorset the other week.
There was only one seat on the ride as Garfield was sat in the other. I told him that it was my son's turn and that if he wanted to ride Garfield he needs to wait until my DS has finished.
It pissed me off too, not the fact the child had tried to climb on it more the fact his parents obviously didn't give a shit what he was up to. We were in the cafe for over half an hour and his parents didn't come and check on him once, he can't have been older than 5 BTW.

princessmel Thu 13-Aug-09 16:04:16

LOL at 'garfield was sat in the other' seat!!

stonethecrows Thu 13-Aug-09 16:33:57

Puppymonkey - no you shouldn't!!!

superduperminder Thu 13-Aug-09 16:41:15

Confession time....my children have NO idea that these kinds of rides move. They just happily sit away for free while they are still. If I see a moving one, I hastily distract.
It's like the age old - 'the tune means he's run out of ice cream' when you hear an ice cream van.
What a meanie I am grin

hocuspontas Thu 13-Aug-09 16:49:39

I think that maybe other people's children aren't aware the things move. When they do they probably don't realise that you've put money in to make it start and assume it's a free for all! I know my children would have. Honestly, as you youself acknowledge, the rides are an abomination and I think you should just lie in future and say they are out of order. Be like our children and assume they are just there to climb over!

charis Thu 13-Aug-09 17:12:52

It makes me incredibly cross that they put "garfield" or some other character on the other half of the seat so that you can't get two children on. What is the thinking behind that?

waitingforbedtime Thu 13-Aug-09 17:18:01

My son never used to know they moved either but his delightful grandma now leaves his £3 every week shock to spend on rides and he knows it angry. It's not my money so I dont care and once he's used up his £3 (or less if I can get away with it) he doesnt get any more shots.

I always invite other kids on if they're around and there's a spare seat btw. x

Confuzzeled Thu 13-Aug-09 17:28:20

Thats so annoying, I'd tell the little invaders to go ask their parents for some money.

There's one of those 3 seater merry go round things outside my local supermarket. DD likes to watch other kids on it but is too scared to go on. People ask us all the time if we want to go on when they're putting their own kids on. I always say thanks ask dd if she wants to go on but she always shy's away.

AnnieLobeseder Thu 13-Aug-09 17:32:01

Goodness, some of you are softies! grin I have no issue with yelling at little shits darlings who get in my DDs' way on something I have paid for or we have queued for to fuck right off (though I put it more politely, obviously!)

cancantcan Thu 13-Aug-09 20:51:37

I have to say this with extreme embarassment I admit I had to remove my 2 kids from a 3 seater bus ride and offer to pay the mother of the poor kid whose ride they had hijacked! Mine are 4 and 3, but dont really get the concept of my money and other peoples money not being the same thing, as far as they can see if its moving and looks like fun, its fair game......blush they are under control, honest!

waitingforbedtime Thu 13-Aug-09 21:35:17

But cancantan - you reacted so all is ok in the world. My point is when people just ignore their kids doing it. Also, if its a 3 seater I wouldnt have minded them getting on and sitting down, it's when they push ds out the way / demand to drive that I get irked!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now