Talk

Advanced search

To hate certain things people say.......

(102 Posts)
blondissimo Thu 13-Aug-09 14:10:04

Following on from this thread, I realised that the way other people speak sometimes really grates me!

My dp and all his family say things to my ds (who thankfully is not old enough to understand) such as:

"Was you a good boy, was you?"

"I done it as well"

"Free or four"

Aargh!

And to top it off, on my side of the family, my dsis (in Scotland) says:

"Hunners" (hundreds)

"I'll no be doin' that" (no = not)

"Ye canny do that" (canny = can't)

I do worry about my dsgrin!

Am I being unreasonable - yes, probablygrin. But I don't care.

blondissimo Thu 13-Aug-09 14:10:53

Sorry I forgot to link to the thread I was following on from, duh! here

blondissimo Thu 13-Aug-09 14:12:22

By the way, before anyone says I am being racist against the Scots - my dsis and I both have Scottish accents - just very different ones!!

notnowbernard Thu 13-Aug-09 14:12:27

The incorrect speech would irritate me (was you a good boy?)

But an accent is an accent, no?

Roomfor2 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:14:32

We have a dialect issue too, my DH and his family use it a lot and I don't use it all and don't want my DCs to use it, so I am pretty hot on correcting it.

I despise it... angry

But in DH's defence, he does try not to use it, but admits it is hard as that is how he was brought up and is surrounded by it at work.

So far, it hasn't happened too much, but I am dreading handling the 'Well, nanny says it like that!' response from the DCs, and me replying 'Well, nanny's WRONG!'.... oh joy..

AramintaCane Thu 13-Aug-09 14:15:37

"No I never"
"What with shirt buttons"

Argh

castlesintheair Thu 13-Aug-09 14:15:55

Was just about to post the same: bad grammar is annoying, dialects are not.

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 13-Aug-09 14:16:27

I am the same. We live in Scotland and my DS says thing like "bet" instead of "beaten" and "Ah'm no doin' that". This drives me batty.

However I do think that I ABU about this as I can be quite a snob about grammar etc. And I also say Irish stuff as that is where I'm from.

ilovetochat Thu 13-Aug-09 14:16:55

we live in the black country so there is a strong accent but i try and say words properly to dd (2) so she can learn to talk and then read/write easier.
The OLs on the other hand try and teach her everything wrong and it drives me mad.
at first dd said baba, mama,dada so OLs kept repeating babby babby till she started saying babby and they were so pleased with her hmm so dp and i kept saying baby baby and now she says baby.
they also teach her to say tara instead of bye and what is you doing, i hate it!

Paolosgirl Thu 13-Aug-09 14:18:27

People who don't pronounce their t's - lazy, sloppy and makes them sound thick. My biggest bugbear.

We're in Scotland and some of the locals round here also use the ones you mentioned - plus "youse" for everyone - grrrrr.

Is it unreasonable - certainly not! grin

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 13-Aug-09 14:18:58

What about when a dialect is bad grammar?

notnowbernard Thu 13-Aug-09 14:24:58

I don't think you can write people off as "thick" by the way they talk, I really don't

GibbonInARibbon Thu 13-Aug-09 14:26:17

Oh Dear God.

Never mind cockroaches inheriting the earth, I think eventually the only thing left on earth will be MN threads regarding grammar/dialect.

Over time they will evolve into threads regarding all forms of social faux pas, nutrition and cake baking.

ilovetochat Thu 13-Aug-09 14:26:51

claire, thats my problem, the black country dialect is bad grammar but how will dd ever learn to read and write english if i allow grandparents to teach her how am ya me babby.

notnowbernard Thu 13-Aug-09 14:28:17

Gibbon - you forgot the ear-piercing of babies

SURELY that has a higher thread-count than dialect/grammar

notnowbernard Thu 13-Aug-09 14:29:22

She will presumably be taught at school how to read and write correctly

blondissimo Thu 13-Aug-09 14:30:18

Oh yes "you's" is another pet hate of mine - my dsis does that too. I think what annoys me about her doing it is that she didn't always talk like that - she has picked it up from other people.

Yes Clara - eg "hunners" may be classed as dialect, but it is technically wrong and not even a word????

I always correct my dp when he says things wrong - but could not do it to IL's or SIL.
Some other classics his family have come out with are:

Pacific (specific)
Expresso (espresso)
If someone is getting really wound up they say "stop getting all hiatus"grin

So am actually looking forward to correcting my ds if he ever says anything like that!!

GibbonInARibbon Thu 13-Aug-09 14:34:26

Ahh yes NNB I forgot the ol' ear-piercing debates.

I can see the mutant thread titles now

'AIBU to refuse to let my baby wear sleepers when there is a recent report re correlation between hooped earings and an Essex Twang?'

notnowbernard Thu 13-Aug-09 14:35:31

grin

FranSanDisco Thu 13-Aug-09 14:35:45

Accent = pronunciation
Dialect = vocabulary and grammar

Therefore dialects wll have 'bad' grammar if taking standard english to be 'good' grammar. I just studied a language module for my degree and apparently "there is no such thing as bad grammar". That's alright then innit grin. Dropping the 't' is found in many accents and is called the glottal stop. Accents/dialects do not equate to intellect. [Have I passed?wink].

jeminthepantry Thu 13-Aug-09 14:36:35

YABU- I love dialects!!

blondissimo Thu 13-Aug-09 14:36:54

notnowbernard - nobody said anyone was thick. I was just ranting on AIBU as these things annoy me and I don't want ds growing up talking like it.

I even admitted that I probably was BU.

And sorry if this thread has been "done" - I didn't check through the archives before I posted shock.

notnowbernard Thu 13-Aug-09 14:39:31

No, you didn't say that but another poster has

I get a bit sensitive about this one as the majority of my family have a strong S London dialect

And they are not fick

MIFLAW Thu 13-Aug-09 14:40:24

A dialect is not Bad grammar.

The whole point of a dialect (as opposed to an accent) is that it has its own grammar and vocabulary. It's not wrong or bad, it's just not standard. And what on earth does "technically" wrong mean in terms of language anyway?

FWIW I don't like many of these things either. But to say that other people shouldn't use them or it's "worng"?

FFS.

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Aug-09 14:41:27

Sorry but Scottish grammar is just as good as English, it's just different.

no/not = nae up here, so canny = cannae = cannot

We also say things like "that shirt needs ironed", which wind up my South-of-England BIL no end, but it's a perfectly good piece of grammar up here.

It's because we've adopted English words but had our own (lowland Scots) language until relatively recently.

Children can still learn to read and write "proper" English while respecting their regional dialect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now