Talk

Advanced search

To think that A child living in a house without a toilet, Bath, Central heating and Hot water

(59 Posts)
beanieb Thu 13-Aug-09 09:57:51

is not grounds for calling Social Services?

What do you think?

hereidrawtheline Thu 13-Aug-09 09:58:36

need more info surely

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 13-Aug-09 09:59:31

Message withdrawn

halfbakedcookie Thu 13-Aug-09 10:01:11

Depends, agree need more info. DS's best friend is living in a house like that at the moment as his parents are renovating and the builders have been held up.....so in a case like, it would be a no.

PeachyLaPeche Thu 13-Aug-09 10:01:32

No it's not at all, many people don't have all those- we don't have CH or a shower.

however I would want to know the comlpete story. If it's becuase of building work and the family ahev access to a portapotty / use the gym showers then there's no story there; OTOH if it's because the entire life is in a state i of collapse, there is no access to sanitation or washing facillities then something is seriosuly remiss. In that case SW input could be anything from investigating for neglect to filling in a form to support an apllication for LA Housing.

clemette Thu 13-Aug-09 10:02:20

Plenty of children live in this situation when work is done on their homes. Or if they are the children of travellers (the bath and CH at least). So, no, not in itself a ground for calling SS.

StealthPolarBear Thu 13-Aug-09 10:03:16

for how long? also need more info.
I would hate to live like that! But on the other hand if you're having work done it's unavoidable and I would imagine Social Services would quite rightly laugh if they were told. On the other hand living without a toilet or hot water with no plans to ever change that is a bit concerning.

BigGobMum Thu 13-Aug-09 10:04:45

Unless undergoing renovation, I didn't think there were any houses without access to a toilet! Are there?

harleyd Thu 13-Aug-09 10:04:56

not keen on the no toilet bit
but if its only a temporary arrangement then why would ss need to be called?

Goblinchild Thu 13-Aug-09 10:05:00

Do they have access to toilet facilities when they need them?
Do they have the means to wash in warm water with soap?
Can they heat water using the cooking facilities?
And when has central heating ever been an essential?
I have acquaintances living happily in a welsh cottage that doesn't have a bath, central heating or a flush toilet. They and their children are fine, I hope you're not talking about them.

StealthPolarBear Thu 13-Aug-09 10:05:03

I was trying to say the same as Peachy but she put it better than me. I can quite imagine you're having work done and you're meant to be without a toilet for a day or two but these things drag on and it ends up being a week or two - majorly inconvenient but not neglect!
I'm sure someone will be along in a sec to tell us how 98% of the human population manage without any of those things for their entre lives and they are fine

StealthPolarBear Thu 13-Aug-09 10:06:05

Goblinchild, just out of curiosity do they have some sort of toilet - chemical toilet or somethign?

OP, why do you ask?

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 13-Aug-09 10:06:26

not in itself, no. There are children all over the world without those things!

terramum Thu 13-Aug-09 10:07:08

Need more info before forming an opinion either way.

shonaspurtle Thu 13-Aug-09 10:09:52

The child needs to be clean, fed and warm. How those things are achieved are up to the means and ingenuity of the parent/carer.

(We don't have central heating but we're never cold due to a combination of electric heaters, heat rising from our neighbours, reduced loss of heat due to living in a flat surrounded by others on all sides.)

beanieb Thu 13-Aug-09 10:10:04

Just wanted to see what the reaction would be. grin

with all this talk of baby neglect and stuff.

What about 3 children under the age of 6 living for 5 years in the same conditions with no attempt to change them, in a 'first world' country? Or 3 children aged between 8 and 13 in similar conditions for a year?

Goblinchild Thu 13-Aug-09 10:12:15

They are hardline crusty ecotypes and have a sort of compostable toilet system that doesn't flush.
Didn't investigate too closely.smile
They have 4 children that are poster types for the happy 'what Rat Race?' lifestyle and are all-round good people. Excellent parents too as far as I can see.
Do you think the OP will return, or is there not enough Les Dawson bosooma-hoisting for her?

beanieb Thu 13-Aug-09 10:14:51

Ok - sorry grin

Basically I am describing how I grew up.

At the age of 6 months my family moved to a emote area where we had no toilet (Just a bucket in the outside shed), no bath (just a sink in the sitting room/kitchen) etc. My mum gave birth to my brother in these conditions and had 3 kids in a 3 roomed house (not 3 bedrooms just 3 rooms) and we were there for 5 years. Later we lived in similar conditions only this time we had a comode in a shed (which we took turns emptying) and a bucket on the landing at night!

My Qualified as a Social Worker while we were living there.

I just wondered, with all the recent talk about people being more aware of neglect/abuse and being encouraged to report it, how might this have effected me as a child.

I was very happy by the way.

beanieb Thu 13-Aug-09 10:17:00

that should be remote and my mum qualified

StealthPolarBear Thu 13-Aug-09 10:17:44

I suppose it just proves you can't have a tick box when it comes to neglect.
If I heard that parents had no toilet as a matter of choice then I'd be thinking hmm I have to admit (and also probably about no hot water and no bath or shower - only need one of those!) but if the circumstances are explained then it appears it's fine.

(I assume you're not 110??)

HeadFairy Thu 13-Aug-09 10:17:48

I think that's the key difference beanie, you were happy, presumably loved, you had access to cleaning facilities and toilet facilities, albeit not as sophisticated as the average household, but sufficient. We don't all need fluffy white towels and heated floors to have a happy home life.

I think the difference is wilful neglect through lack of empathy or pure disdain and hatred (I'm thinking of the little girl in Manchester who was starved to death and Victoria Climbie who was made to sleep in a bath with the window open and no blankets of any sort)

StealthPolarBear Thu 13-Aug-09 10:18:56

would love to have had your parents gas and electricity bills (unless you're about to tell me you had a huge TV, Playstation cinema system....)?

ThingOne Thu 13-Aug-09 10:19:05

I would hate to live like that beanie but I'm sure I would have been fine as a child!

hocuspontas Thu 13-Aug-09 10:19:19

It sounds like camping. Just for longer.

Agree with others. Not grounds for neglect unless other factors involved.

PeachyLaPeche Thu 13-Aug-09 10:19:55

BeanieB I was reading about the Welsh valleys in the seventies recently and what you describe was not uncommon tbh.

As a child, we ahd no hot water except for a switchable geyser my dad would only run up on a Sunday; heating was in one room only (Mum used cooker burners to warm kitchen up), we had a bath and shower but couldnt use bath more than 1 / 7 due to water

We had a toilet mind

It wasn't negl;ect- every family on estate the same. however it did affect us; I didnt do homework on the instigation of school in wonter as there was nowhere warm to do it that wasnt filled with family members and homework grades were pulling my marks down. In cold spells we all slept in one room, and I remember thinking of defr4osting frozen solid clothes over the fire as a noem.

Wasn't abusive though, was normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now