Talk

Advanced search

To have had a slight lump in my throat on buying my PFB his first school uniform?

(20 Posts)
SolidGoldBrass Wed 12-Aug-09 23:10:40

Where did my baby go? He just looked so grown-up trying on the school coat and pullover, and I got this wierd sensation of time being cyclical and all that, and had some childhood flashbacks... probably down to the shop being this wonderful old-fashioned emporium full of men with tape measures round their necks (it sells uniforms of every kind for children and adults; admittedly some of my fetish friends would go absolutely raving mad if they set foot in the place)...

YouLukaAmazing Wed 12-Aug-09 23:14:49

Message withdrawn

herbietea Wed 12-Aug-09 23:20:05

Message withdrawn

SolidGoldBrass Wed 12-Aug-09 23:25:01

I do remember taking him to a wedding when he was 18 months and had just had his first haircut and thinking then 'goodness he is growing up' - and of course, looking back at the pictures of that day now, he was still just a little baby really...

pointydog Wed 12-Aug-09 23:32:22

No yanbu.

I am feeling a bit emotional at dd1 turning 13. She's such a teenager all of a sudden. I'm so in love with every year of her life.

pointydog Wed 12-Aug-09 23:35:48

I cam across dd1's and dd2's reception school photos today. They looked so small and lovely.

wrinklytum Wed 12-Aug-09 23:40:58

Aww.yanbu.Time goes so quickly,doesn't it?

I remember taking ds to his first day at school and he was fine.I was in bits and managed to get out of school gates before sniffling.

He will be fine

The funniest was seeing dd off in her sn bus.I was so wobbly for her (It is only nursery)But on seeing it she shreiked with joy and signed bus and has never looked back!!

He will be fine.They look so sweet and innocent though,don't they?Take LOTS of photos.

SolidGoldBrass Thu 13-Aug-09 00:10:56

Ooh, now I am remembering his first day in nursery, when he was 11months. It wasn;t the first time I had left him anywhere, he'd had days with my parents and my friend while I worked the occasional trade fair, so it didn't occur to me how weird I would feel leaving him in the nursery and walking home without him [sniffle]. But I really do feel that everything is going to change in September - DS has only been going to nursery 2.5 days a week, now I am going to have 5 days a week without him...

wrinklytum Thu 13-Aug-09 00:30:50

I am sure I will feel the same when dd is school age,and they are both "gone"

like someone has cut off my arm or something.They will be under someone elses's care.Take heart tho they still need you for so much,and it gets muchmore interesting with the questions and ideas (Tho ds still can't remember what he did at schoolhmm)

For me I am sure that work will have more hours for me but I think I will still mourn the loss of the small child stuff (Even tho dd will prob always be in small child mode as an adult).

I think the old Mn stalwart "Its a phase" will help.I am finding ds a challenge and joy in equal measures post reception.

MummyDragon Thu 13-Aug-09 20:00:40

YANBU at all - and just you wait for his first day at school - try to keep the tears in your eyes until you get out of the classroom, although many, many of the mums/dads won't even manage that ... I sobbed all the way home! smile

All these milestones ... DS (aged 5) lost his first tooth this week, and has just started reading sentences clearly ... both these things have had me in floods of tears over the past few days!

girlsyearapart Thu 13-Aug-09 20:09:46

no way yanbu I nearly cried when my nephew started god knows how I'll be when it's my own. Besides David Beckham cried when he took his PFB to school so it's even the men. (god knows how I know that..)

shandyleer Thu 13-Aug-09 20:51:10

You are SO nbu. My ds starts in September and its just wrong somehow. I felt sad when we were buying his uniform, but the worst time was buying the school shoes - those smart black shoes on those teeny little feet....sad

Said to my friend today that, whereas I'd been glad to get my first three off to school, I would be so sad to see ds go. She said "You were NOT glad with the others, I remember you cried your eyes out every single time!" Oops, the tricks that memory plays.

cupofteaplease Thu 13-Aug-09 20:58:11

YANBU. I have never been pfb about dd1, I love her to bits but I've never been overprotective etc.

However, taking her to have her school shoes fitted today... sad I can't believe this is it. I remember my first day at school, and now it's her turn- it all seems too quick.

And incidently, £26 for such dull, black shoes?!hmm

deaddei Thu 13-Aug-09 22:11:03

Make sure you take photos of them on their first day- I still get a lump looking at mine1 And yes, when they go to yr 7- can't believe they're so big1

bradsmissus Thu 13-Aug-09 22:16:53

YANBU. I cried in the M&S changing rooms a couple of weeks ag when DS tried his on.

My BF and I had a little weep again last week when her DS tried on his high school uniform for the first time!

Phoenix4725 Fri 14-Aug-09 07:47:18

no yanbu

My last dc starts school this September and wa sonly 4 few weeks ago .I so am going be in flood of tears .Though hes got o school trousers just to small lol got me a mini rebel alrady.

Mind one starts and my eldest ds is going into his last year of school ever shock
does not seem that long ago he just was starting

Morloth Fri 14-Aug-09 09:45:36

I had a lump in my throat when they told me how much it was going to cost.

minkulus Sun 16-Aug-09 20:39:00

LOL Morloth! I too will become a school gate weepie in September. My dd looks so cute in her uniform, except even the smallest sizes are hanging off her. She looks like she's dressing up!

aoifesmama Sun 16-Aug-09 20:56:39

I cried a few weeks ago when DD (PFB) outgrew first newborn and then 0 - 3 months blush . God knows how I'll be when I return to work or she starts school!!!

landrover Wed 19-Aug-09 19:09:07

ahhhh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now