Advanced search

to be really pissed off about this?

(18 Posts)
herbietea Wed 12-Aug-09 20:36:13

Message withdrawn

Sheeta Wed 12-Aug-09 20:38:08

YANBU.

hayes Wed 12-Aug-09 20:39:06

I would be upset by this too perhaps she was asleep when the board was written and they forgot to get back to it when she awoke. But then again you would hope they could have referred to her notes to get her name? You are right to feel pissed off

Sheeta Wed 12-Aug-09 20:40:19

Just had a thought though - if the person writing the sign had to decipher a consultant's handwriting to do so, it may be understandable. Still horrible, but understandable.

daisyj Wed 12-Aug-09 20:43:04

shocksad. YANB at all U - that makes me want to cry. Thankfully she obviously has a lovely family who care about her. Imagine all the older people who are anonymous to health'care' professionals as well as being alone. Grrrr.

herbietea Wed 12-Aug-09 20:46:49

Message withdrawn

MrsEricBana Wed 12-Aug-09 20:47:36

Agree that is absolutely awful and actually quite scary in that if they can't decipher her name from her notes, how on earth can you be sure whether they have got the other facts about her straight. I think you should ask the ward sister and see what she says - there may be a plausible explanation though I struggle to think what it could be. Hope she is being well cared for now.

chegirl Wed 12-Aug-09 20:50:10

YANBU. How could they not know her name? She will have notes on her bed and a wrist band. Before they give her any treatment her name would have to be double checked against these.

Its laziness and there is no excuse.

herbietea Wed 12-Aug-09 20:56:06

Message withdrawn

HuwEdwards Wed 12-Aug-09 21:01:31

Complain, really. To PALS (Patient Advisory Liaison Service) - ask at reception next time you go.

Complete laziness, unnecessary and very upsetting for you.

chegirl Wed 12-Aug-09 21:11:06

Try not to get too upset herb. You will drive yourself demented because you cant get up there and sort it out.

I think it very unlikely that nurses will be horrible to your Gran. The board was probably written up by an auxillary anyway.

I am quite sure it is a breach of protocol to not correctly identify a patient. That is what the boards are for, to double check wristbands, notes and charts.

I hope your dear Gran is out of hospital soon.

scottishmummy Wed 12-Aug-09 21:11:06

oh,that is appalling.sorry this added to your pain at such a worrying time

righty ho
>written letter to Ward manger and Nursing director
> contact PALS they can support you
>write to chief exec (this will be on trust website)

of course gran is a loved,liked woman not reducible to a question mark

do take care

herbietea Wed 12-Aug-09 21:21:41

Message withdrawn

mamas12 Wed 12-Aug-09 21:24:59

That is so slack.

Please get them to show some respect.

My dsis in law was a nurse and when they moved to England she got a job on a geriatric ward and was confronted with a very frustrated old lady shouting and muttering and trying to move about and was told don't mind her gibberish, she's just batty we are waiting for her to move to psyche ward.
When she went over to that side of the ward she realised this lovely old lady was speaking Welsh and managed to find out that she had family to contact who would wonder where she was!!

scottishmummy Wed 12-Aug-09 21:25:15

maintain contact,phone for updates ask for a staff nurse

this is a really stressful time for you

chegirl Wed 12-Aug-09 21:26:42

It is a worry herb but try to remember that the majority of health workers are lovely and caring.

I have spent a lot of time in the system and I can rember the horrible ones because they were so rare.

I think that patients do better when they have someone to advocate for them though. Particularly the oldest and yougest of us.

It might be worth phoning the ward regularly. This will help remind them that your Gran is a dearly loved person and not just another case.

Best wishes.

herbietea Wed 12-Aug-09 21:33:38

Message withdrawn

PeachyLaPeche Wed 12-Aug-09 21:35:50

YANBU

bloody rude

OMG Mamas! Not surprised though- having spent time on a geriatric ward myself (both as in patient and staff member)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now