Talk

Advanced search

to expect a new cot after one of the bars has sheared in half...

(10 Posts)
DebInAustria Wed 12-Aug-09 11:10:56

I know the rules may be different here in Austria but what do you think?

I have a cot from a national chain of shops here, bought 13 months ago so over the guarantee. 2 days ago when getting my son up I saw that one of the struts/bars has sheared in half , diagonally so very sharp- thankfully the broken half was outside the cot and nothing had happened. BUT it could have been so dangerous. There was obviously a fault in the wood for it to happen. So I telephoned the shop yesterday - they never returned my call, so I called again, they said the woman in charge of the baby dept was off and she would get in touch today. So I also e-mailed her with photographs and my phone numbers. By 11.30 this morning - still no call, I phoned and they said they would order a new side for the cot and it would take 2 weeks.

Was I unreasonable to demand a whole new cot , as what happens if the other side also breaks, I said I knew it was the fault of the manufacturer and I would contact them or their manager and they are calling me back later. I have no confidence in the cot so why would I just want a new side?I just keep thinking about what could have happened if he had fallen on it...

LIZS Wed 12-Aug-09 11:15:53

Even in UK I don't think you'd be entitled to a completely new one after 13 months. If they have offered to replace the faulty side that is probably reasonable.

girlywhirly Wed 12-Aug-09 15:56:33

Could you make a claim on your home contents insurance if the shop/manufacturer won't exchange/repair/supply new part?

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 12-Aug-09 18:36:18

I think after 13 months I would be pushing for a new cot as well. They aren't cheap and this isn't just a little fault this is a big fault there is no wya I could have broken one of the bars on my cot so certainly wouldn't expect a baby to be able to shock you buy a cot and expect it to last at the very very least until you put your baby in a bed and better still for more than one child.

DebInAustria Wed 12-Aug-09 21:02:16

Thanks, I've put a photo on my profile of the cot!

littleboyblue Wed 12-Aug-09 21:08:21

I don't think you were UR at all.
The other night, I went into my ds's bedroom because I heard ds2 crying, the side of his cot had come off and he was laying on the floor.
He is 6 months old.
I got his cot from a major store and demanded a full refund.
When you buy a cot, it has to be fit for purpose, which your cot isn't. Do you have some form of Trading Standards over there?

DebInAustria Wed 12-Aug-09 21:19:42

Was your ds OK Little Blue?

littleboyblue Wed 12-Aug-09 21:25:14

Yes, he's fine. Luckily I'd moved the mattress down to the lowest setting or else could have been nasty.
Thank you for asking Deb
It's just the kind of thing you don't exect from a product that is surely designed to keep little ones safe when you cannot be there isn't it?

DebInAustria Wed 12-Aug-09 21:53:54

That's just how I feel.

littleboyblue Wed 12-Aug-09 21:57:19

I'd probably push for a new cot if I were you. Someone needs to take responsibility for an unsafe item. Ok, it's not the sellers fault, but the manufacturer may be able to help. Can you contact them directly and let them know how disappointed you are in this product. They may give you an exchange as goodwill?

We bought my ds1 a proper single bed and when it is delivered on friday, we will put the sides back on his cotbed and have ds2 use that. Atm ds2 is in a travel cot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now