Talk

Advanced search

To want to play a CD of Tom Paulin talking

(15 Posts)
Swedes Mon 10-Aug-09 21:59:35

while the lights are out in our bedroom?

I am not at this stage asking DP to wear the Tom Paulin rubber mask; I think we should save something for our fifties as I doubt we'll take up golf.

He's offered to do the voice so that we don't need to resort to external props but his timbre is all wrong.

Swedes Mon 10-Aug-09 22:27:21

Oh please help me, I'm sorry if I've disgusted you all with my depravity.

RedLentil Mon 10-Aug-09 22:30:25

Not disgusted exactly. Frightened by the fact that I can see where you are coming from on this though.

DH sat next to him in the Bodleian Library one day and apparently he just huffed and muttered under his breath at his book for about three hours.

I would happily have taken DH's place ...

The one time I spoke to him face to face he was extraordinarily rude, but not, I think, on purpose. hmm

Swedes Mon 10-Aug-09 22:38:54

<Oooh Red Lentil, I used to live (for 2 years)where you now live.>

How exciting that you've met TP in the flesh.

RedLentil Mon 10-Aug-09 22:41:38

It was years ago in Leeds (where he spent quite a lot of his childhood). I was a callow postgrad and asked him what was admittedly a stupid question. blush

Cork is fab - we live just outside Bantry which is just perfect when the weather is co-operating. Did you like it?

Swedes Mon 10-Aug-09 22:46:28

Red Lentil. We loved it. We lived in the city, in Douglas. We spent most of our weekends down on the coast (Skib and Kinsale) sailing, tapping our feet, drinking and eating. And funnily enough I remember it as always being very very sunny. grin

pointydog Mon 10-Aug-09 22:51:41

oh dear oh dear. Tom paulin - that's plain weird.

OldieMum Mon 10-Aug-09 22:53:43

I'm afraid I don't share your taste in TP. I had the misfortune to commute to London from Oxford for several years. I always sat in the 'quiet carriage'. Sometimes, so did TP. His droning, know-it-all voice boomed along the carriage for much of the journey, making reading, or even thinking, almost impossible .... It was like being trapped on an endlessly looping edition of Newsnight Review.

RedLentil Mon 10-Aug-09 22:54:27

Ah, my sister is in Douglas. TIs where I go when I need a fix of busy life ...

Your memory is doing an excellent editing job there. Can you not remember any rain? grin

Bizarrely enough I used to live where you live now ( we were based in watford for a few years and made great friends there)

Your children are gorgeous by the way smile

LadyG Tue 11-Aug-09 00:18:29

No not with you on TP although DH, disturbingly, has a slight crush on him I think. However the Naxos version of Sean Bean reading the legends of King Arthur-often have I suggested it as bedtime listening...In fact have given up all pretence that I bought it for DS originally.

RedLentil Tue 11-Aug-09 00:30:33

The fanciability of a good voice is high though isn't it?

DH's Lancashire tones are v. lovely. smile

Swedes Tue 11-Aug-09 10:11:56

LadyG - grin at your DH having a crush on TP.

RedLentil - So agree about the high importance of voice in the fanciability ratings.

Excellent
Lancashire
Northumberland
Newcastle (so long as not too Geordie)
Scots (so long as not Glasgie)

Please Sleep in the Spare Room
Estuary
West Country
Suffolk
Cockney (especially if too much rhyming (sp?)
Bristol

pointydog Tue 11-Aug-09 11:21:02

oo. A north/south divide.

Swedes Tue 11-Aug-09 12:13:04

Pointy - A politically correct north south divide.

pointydog Tue 11-Aug-09 13:09:36

I'm sure many would disagree with you, swedes wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now