Talk

Advanced search

To think the gym staff running summer activities are incompetant?

(16 Posts)
Blottedcopybook Mon 10-Aug-09 21:58:26

Eldest son is attending a daily sports camp this week at our local leisure centre. The kids all had name tags on and yet again, my son's name was spelled incorrectly on the name tag he has to wear. Not a huge deal the first or even second time he was booked onto a class, but this is at least the tenth booking I've made for him where his name hasn't been right. When I noticed, I asked him if he'd mentioned it to the staff and he said they told him that he'd "just have to deal with it" because they'd "photocopied the name sheets for the week".

I'm fairly reasonable and if they'd corrected this for the rest of the week I'd have been fine, but to tell me they couldn't write out four sticky labels because the sheets had been photocopied just smacks of no common sense whatsoever. I'm trying not to be precious about it but it's his name - his identity - and they consistently get it wrong. It's not a bizarre or weird name and I've been polite each time I've pointed out the error.

Am I being unreasonable to think that if they can't get the brain cells together to solve the issue then they really shouldn't be responsible for large swathes of children?

piscesmoon Mon 10-Aug-09 22:14:55

I would insist that they change it-we have a constant problem with our name and it drives me potty!

babyignoramus Mon 10-Aug-09 22:14:57

I don't think it's a reflection on their organisation as such, but it's bloody disrespectful!

Blottedcopybook Mon 10-Aug-09 22:20:03

I'm so glad it's not me, I was beginning to think I was being ridiculous

piscesmoon Mon 10-Aug-09 22:32:59

I don't think it reflects their organisation but it shows a lack of interest in the individual. It also irks me when people take no notce if you ask them politely-I should hand them some sticky labels and insist that they cover the wrong spelling.

mamas12 Mon 10-Aug-09 23:44:51

It is sooo disrectful and rude, get them to change it. I would deliberately get all their names wrong and see how they like it too.

MollieO Mon 10-Aug-09 23:52:53

First name or surname? If first name I would want it changed if surname and pronounciation is unaffected then I wouldn't bother. I speak as someone whose surname is always misspelt although the misspelling doesn't alter the pronounciation. Irritating but nothing more than that.

piscesmoon Tue 11-Aug-09 08:03:45

It is my surname that is commonly misspelt and I find it more than irritating-we have changed banks because of it!

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 11-Aug-09 08:07:22

My dc's surname is regularly spelt wrong. VEry usual name just has an extra letter in it, mi-spelling doesn't affect the pronunciation in any way but it is still annoying. It's their name and as such I like to see it spelt right.
Was mis-spelt in optitian the other day pointed it out mainly for next time but the re-printed everything so it was correct.
So no YANBU in the slightest.

Blottedcopybook Tue 11-Aug-09 08:36:21

Thanks everyone. It's his first name which is why I'm so irked. We'll see if they sort it today!

ssd Tue 11-Aug-09 08:45:09

so blotted if they are so stupid I take it you are withdrawing your son immediately and looking after him yourself?
or are you just bitching about the staff and then leaving him there anyway?

firsttimemama Tue 11-Aug-09 08:54:37

Hardly crime of the century IMO

Heifer Tue 11-Aug-09 09:04:33

I would be irked, and would think about sending her in with her own name tag on!

Overmydeadbody Tue 11-Aug-09 09:08:21

It doesn't make the gym staff incompetant.

MmeLindt Tue 11-Aug-09 09:14:08

It would not bother me. Tell him to use a pen to correct it if it annoys him.

Blottedcopybook Wed 12-Aug-09 08:10:52

ssd - I really don't believe I'm bitching, I'm upset that an issue I have raised on multiple occasions hasn't been dealt with by an organisation that I pay a fair amount of money to. Additionally, he's at a sports camp for two hours in the morning which I stay and watch with his three siblings so I'm hardly NOT looking after him myself.

firsttimemama - Och I know in the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal but it is frustrating that after over a year of membership at this place and all the classes & clubs he attends they still can't get it right. In fairness, he's not overly bothered by it but I don't think it's fair he is expected to deal with it all the time. His registration forms and club membership all had his name spelled correctly and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to copy it over without error.

Overmydeadbody - The first error doesn't, but the fact that they repeatedly have not corrected it and then refused to correct it because the name tags had been photocopied has me doubting their capabilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now