Talk

Advanced search

to think that I have just been a bit OTT and PFB ish???

(25 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:10:22

Last week I picked my DS up from nursery and he had a large bump to the head. Staff explained he fell from the last step of the climbing frame, I signed the accident book and went home without any worries.

Got him in the bath that night and a larger bruise under the eye had started to appear along with serveral small round finger tip like bruises on his back under the ribs. He does bruise very easily but this worried me. I thought about phoning the nursery the next day but the manager was on holiday and I didn't want to come across as being OTT, but as the week has gone on more and more people have asked how he got the bruises, so today I called.

I got the impression the manager thought I was being a bit PFB and OTT. He isn't 100% so I am thinking about getting a GP to see him tomorrow and felt I needed to know where these brusies had come from as any good GP would ask.

Oh what would you have done???

sarah293 Mon 10-Aug-09 19:11:42

Message withdrawn

Overmydeadbody Mon 10-Aug-09 19:14:10

I'm not sure.

Bruises are hard to identify really aren't they?

I often have fingertip-like bruises on my legs after a day of climbing, it sometimes looks like someone has squeezed really hard but no one has actually touched me.

If he fell he could have bruised himself.

TotalChaos Mon 10-Aug-09 19:15:49

not at all unreasonable. you will know what's a normal rough and tumble type injury for your DS, and you clearly don't feel that the fingertip bruises fit into that....

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:15:50

Well he is a little underweight and very hard to feed. He is even more so off his food at the moment........I am worried.

Today, he liked the jam off his toast. Eat 1/4 slice of bread with soft cheese at lunch, and picked the greated cheese from his main meal tonight. This has been the same for months. We are seeing a dietition and he is having an oral assessment next week.

Morloth Mon 10-Aug-09 19:19:35

DS has always gotten spots of bruises on his back - he still gets them now but as he doesn't fall over as much not as often.

I would recommend taking photos of them now if you are concerned. They will fade and it could be useful to show the doc what they looked like a bit fresher.

It is probably fine, I was always worried someone was going to call DOCS on me because DS was always covered in bruises, he just was so active (still is) and has a ridiculously high tolerance for pain when he is enjoying himself.

Giving him his bath the other day, he has a bruise the size of an apple on his upper right back thigh. I asked him what happened and he said he got it when he fell out of the tree (I saw him fall, but he got up again and didn't say anything).

Kids get bruised - it is usually a sign of an excellent day. But you know best and if you are worried you must follow it up.

sarah293 Mon 10-Aug-09 19:22:09

Message withdrawn

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:22:56

Thank-you everyone. The manager said she would look into it.......not quite sure what she will be able to do though.

Riven are bruises a sign of anaemia?

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:24:15

Sorry he is 21 months. I am desperate for him to eat. We make no fuss, eat together, he just ignores what is on his plate.

Morloth Mon 10-Aug-09 19:29:43

How about plain pasta with butter (& maybe garlic)?

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:32:01

Pasta is a funny one. He looks at it and gags???!!! He will play with dry pasta, but when nursery put cooked pasta in the sand tray he ran away crying hmm hmm hmm. Having said that he did touch it yesterday just didn't put it to his mouth.

sarah293 Mon 10-Aug-09 19:34:43

Message withdrawn

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 10-Aug-09 19:41:07

TTBMP - re the food issues, have you had him checked for a tongue tie?

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:47:08

12oz follow on milk a day
bread (white)
Cereal
Hummous
Fruit pouches
nibbles fish fingers (never eaten 1/2)
cheese but no melted
rasins
cake
bite and melt snacks (organix)
Yoghart/custard
marmight

I think thats it!

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:48:47

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad no we had that looked at. Nice long tounge!

sarah293 Mon 10-Aug-09 19:51:05

Message withdrawn

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 19:56:05

Its really hard. The rule was he got what we are having, if he ignored it it was taken away and nothing else offered. We thought this would work.......wrong he lost 1kg and the nutritionist started to panic and wanted him to drink a special milk to build him up.

We didn't want to do this as it wouldn't solve the problem........trouble is nothing is working. We all eat breakfast and lunch togtehr, tea he eats at 4:45pm whilst watching Cbebbies as otherwise he wouldn't stay in his chair, often he has touched things (pasta) as he is so ingrossed in the TV.

I just don't know what to do.

Morloth Mon 10-Aug-09 19:56:12

That doesn't sound too bad TBH.

Is he growing and just skinny or going backwards? Does he eat sometimes and then not at all for it seems like days?

DS seemed to live on air for a lot of the time, but he was still growing so I didn't worry too much. He is a skinny thing and always has been. Looks healthy though, clear skin, sparkly eyes, rosy cheeks, lots of energy etc.

Morloth Mon 10-Aug-09 19:58:35

Turn the telly off. Pop him in the high chair in the kitchen while you are cooking the adult's meal and give him bits as you go.

sarah293 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:02:59

Message withdrawn

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 20:04:10

See this is the thing. He is very tired. He sleeps 6pm -7am then 9am-1pm everyday. He is happy most days between 1pm and 6pm but there are days he won't be put down. He looks pale too. I am getting him weighed again tomorrow, last month his weight was static for the 2nd time in 3 months.

He is so lovely in so many ways. He cuddles other children, is very cheeky, funny little boy.

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 20:05:52

Cooking is a good idea. He likes to serve up, just doesn't eat it! We will have a cooking day tomorrow.....pizza a good idea???

I will try anything.

sarah293 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:09:09

Message withdrawn

Morloth Mon 10-Aug-09 20:11:27

Pizza is always a good idea.

DS would quite happily live on a pizza made of tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni.

That is a LOT of sleep - there is definitely something going on.

tryingtobemarypoppins Mon 10-Aug-09 20:14:55

Thanks Ladies. He was on Minadex (sp?) but his poo was black and we had to give it to him in his sleep as he won't take anything from a spoon....... you can imagine how stressful it is when he has a temp.......we have to give him suppoitories (sp?) if its a massive temp and we feel like we are being evil sad

Doctors tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now