Talk

Advanced search

to put children in front of dvds all day?

(21 Posts)
stonethecrows Mon 10-Aug-09 09:39:54

I have 3 children ranging in age from 2 to 5. It is raining, and I am absolutely knackered after trying to tidy the house, referee fights, little sleep last night....

Really really want to chuck them in front of as many DVDs as they can stand today, so AIBU??

PS. I have been really good through the summer holidays with activities and going places up until now, if that makes any difference to your responses..............

blinks Mon 10-Aug-09 09:42:41

i shall report you immediately to the police.

JustcallmeDog Mon 10-Aug-09 09:42:45

Message withdrawn

Overmydeadbody Mon 10-Aug-09 09:44:35

YANBU

lol at blinks

parents need time out too sometimes, nothing wrong with a bit of dvd babysitting

OnlyWantsOne Mon 10-Aug-09 09:47:27

YANBU

oveR the last 10 days DD has been taken boating, the zoo, the park (3 times)An aquatic centre, has had friends round to play twice, and has been to play at her friend's house twice, been taken swiiming too - and i felt bad about her amusing herself for a few hours last week whilst i worked.

bless, they'll be fine

Tryharder Mon 10-Aug-09 09:49:54

YANBU.

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about the unreasonable pressure on mums now to do exciting activities throughout the holidays and the resulting guilt when everyone elses kids are visiting museums and theme parks every day.

Nothing wrong with a few DVDs IMHO - you can always chuck them in the garden if it brightens up later.

sleeplessinstretford Mon 10-Aug-09 09:52:38

my little one is watching sky plussed yo gabba gabba until i can get some food down her-i will then be taking her to the park in her wellies trying to kill time so i can put her to bed.
go for your life...

OrmIrian Mon 10-Aug-09 09:53:38

Sounds good to me. I am working from home today so unless DH takes them swimming they will be watching Red Dwarf DVDs most of the day. Does no harm once in a while.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 10-Aug-09 09:54:08

Am sure when I was a child, I did have so many activities

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 10-Aug-09 09:54:51

didn't

stonethecrows Mon 10-Aug-09 09:55:25

Thankyou all - Curious George it is then!!!

RubberDuck Mon 10-Aug-09 10:02:06

YANBU... tell them it's a "home cinema" activity grin

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 10-Aug-09 10:05:28

I think it's good for kids to learn to amuse themselves, to be honest. I've been abandoning encouraging free play since ds was quite small. He's got a little friend over to play today, they've spent the last 10 minutes fighting over the same toy, despite my front room looking like a fecking toy shop. hmm

OP, YANBU. But expect a visit from Social Services for your lazy, activity deficient parenting!

trefusis Mon 10-Aug-09 10:05:54

Message withdrawn

trefusis Mon 10-Aug-09 10:07:07

Message withdrawn

hereidrawtheline Mon 10-Aug-09 10:07:14

I think children like a nice chilled day cuddled up watching dvds as much as we would sometimes! It is so not a problem! dvd babysitting every day all day is not good but every now and then why not? As it happens my DS watches cbeebees every morning while we eat breakfast as I am really not a morning person and need a tea and some food down me before I can face racing track construction etc. After breakfast I regulate it better.

Heifer Mon 10-Aug-09 10:09:00

I bought some DVDs in the sales the other day just for this very situation..

The weather is crap, I have 101 chores to do, once we have walked to SIL and feed her cat I will be putting on 102 Dalmations, Anastasia, Ice Age 2.. Well actually 102 D will be last as I quite fancy watching that with DD...

My DD (5.5) will most likely get her paints/pens out whilst she is watching, so not as it she is sat their square eyed watching (unlike myself who if had the chance would love a whole day of film watching!

OnlyWantsOne Mon 10-Aug-09 10:12:35

my dd loves watching films, but she's good at havng other things out around her, and only actually fleetingly watches the film.

My Dd has got scared of films, she's nearly 3 and can no longer watch Nemo, or Shrek, because bits scare her hmm or am i being a bad mummy, are these films not siutable for her?

princessmel Mon 10-Aug-09 10:16:27

yanbu

But my 2 would actually get bored watching tv all day! They can watch for a decent amount of time though grin

Then they wander off , which is good as they start playing.

stonethecrows Mon 10-Aug-09 13:42:03

So, we managed about half an hour of Curious George before they started fighting and destroying the house. Really wish it would stop raining!!

RubberDuck Mon 10-Aug-09 13:44:35

Yeah :/

I took mine out to McDonalds for lunch and then we walked around Pets At Home to look at the bunnies/fish just for something to do that wasn't surrounded by our own four walls.

Am now thinking of dragging out the DVDs myself, though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now