Talk

Advanced search

To think this list of nursery packed lunch rules is unreasonable?

(148 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Sat 08-Aug-09 19:11:28

Message withdrawn

cornsillk Sat 08-Aug-09 19:12:28

Foodzillas. I would be put off as well.

TotalChaos Sat 08-Aug-09 19:13:57

yanbu. I can top that though! DS's school has similar rules, but in addition also wants us to make sure that lunch has portions of both dairy and non-dairy proteins in it everyday hmm!

ElieRM Sat 08-Aug-09 19:14:53

I'm sorry, but they're your children. Youcan feed them what you like. I'm sure yourself, and most other parent whose children are in attendance feed their dcs a well-balanced diet. Nut business, fair enough, but the rest of it is patronising to say the very least.
are you sending dcs there? or just browing nurseries?

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Aug-09 19:15:35

oh i hate that.
if you wanna be like that about it then provide the kids with a decent school dinner.
if you don't then keep your big fat noses out of it.

argh. i am geting cross just htinking about it! lol

bruffin Sat 08-Aug-09 19:16:50

actually anaphylaxis campaign advice to schools is that they should not ban nuts.

nickytwotimes Sat 08-Aug-09 19:17:38

Yanbu.
Ott.

snickersnack Sat 08-Aug-09 19:17:40

The final line would definitely put me off. dd likes a cheese sandwich every day. Sometimes she has pickle on it. Big deal.

cornsillk Sat 08-Aug-09 19:18:00

Message withdrawn

LaurieFairyCake Sat 08-Aug-09 19:18:01

I wouldn't have a problem with it. The advice is aimed at people daft enough to think that crisps are ok daily for toddlers (lots of people think this). I also can't believe the amount of people (not on mumsnet wink, who think that coke is a hydrating drink for a child who doesn't like water)

I would be the opposite in that I would be happy that my kid wasn't surrounded by other kids eating crisps/haribo/coke every day.

CyradisTheSeer Sat 08-Aug-09 19:18:42

Message withdrawn

hatesponge Sat 08-Aug-09 19:19:59

evil food dictators!

YANBU to be put off, although I wonder in practice whether this is enforced? What would - or could - they do if you sent DC in every day with the same foods?

juuule Sat 08-Aug-09 19:23:10

YANBU.

Recommendations might be okay but not dictating what you feed your children.
As someone else has said if they feel that strongly perhaps they should provide the food.

slowreadingprogress Sat 08-Aug-09 19:37:03

weeeell, I know what you mean, it sounds over the top but this is a nursery we're talking about. Would people really send their kids in with a bag of crisps, a bag of sweets, a cake and a sandwich? The kids have got to be under 5, and that would be a very junky diet indeed. No harm in withdrawing your consent to that if you are a childcare setting taking seriously it's responsibility to the health of kids...

though agree it's over the top to stipulate different foods; lots of kids at this stage do want a very routine diet. So long as it's not full of sweets cakes and crisps I would have thought that's enough for the nursery to be going on with.

Also I'd want to remember that the nursery are dealing with maybe twenty or thirty kids a day instead of us at home with one or two; twenty or thirty hyped up on squash and sweets would not be the best fun for anybody, surely.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 08-Aug-09 19:52:12

YANBU - DD will only eat most of the time a ham, tomatoe and cucumber sandwich, I'd prefer to send that in everyday knowing that she will eat it then something different and it being wasted.

treedelivery Sat 08-Aug-09 19:54:49

I dunno.

I went to a luch club at our place and one kid had a tube of fruit pastiles and some mini cheddars. No drink. She was just turning 3.

Some families need all the help they can get. Although if the the tone was as the op post, then they might have been a bit more relaxed about it.

BitOfFun Sat 08-Aug-09 19:55:37

Exactly FiveGoMad. My dd2 is quite fussy and odd because of her autism, and if she had to adhere to those sort of guidelines I'd be stumped, frankly.

teamcullen Sat 08-Aug-09 19:58:10

Is this a day nursery?

Why dont they provide the meals?

Im a cook in a nursery and I try to make sure the children have things from each food group. But thats with breakfast, a hot lunch and a snack. Its easier when your providing meals for a large group and also theres much more choice in hot meals.

My DCs also have to have a healthy packed lunch for school.
water or pure fruit juice
no crisp or biscuits or cakes
no sugary treats
1 treat on a friday

they are not too strict because the school is in a deprived area, but some children would come to school with their packed lunch full of junk without even a sandwich. I find it very hard to keep their packed lunches interesting!

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Aug-09 19:58:17

i'm sorry but it is up to the poarents to decide what they give to their children to eat if the nursery doesn't provide food.

if the nursery happen to notice that particular children often bring in very unhealthy lunches then they can speak to individual parents.

there is no need IMO, to treat parents as if they're idiots, and presume that they won't provide a decent lunch for their children.,

it would definitely put me off using the nursery. I can't abide people telling me what to do lol

piscesmoon Sat 08-Aug-09 19:58:31

I think that they should treat the parents as responsible adults who can cope with feeding their own DC a balanced diet!
I don't have the time or inclination to do a lot of variety-there is more to life than planning a packed lunch! If I have one myself it is more or less the same every time-quick and easy.
People who write these things always assume that the DC is interested in food! I have DSs; they didn't have packed lunches until they went to school but they wanted something that was quick and easy and got them out to play in record time! Fruit came straight back home-it took too long to eat-the same with anything messy. There was no point in slaving over an imaginative, varied lunch box, it wasn't what they wanted.I just made sure that they had a good breakfast and evening meal, and fruit once they got home and had time to unwind.

juuule Sat 08-Aug-09 19:59:39

That's how I'd feel too, thisisyesterday.

juuule Sat 08-Aug-09 20:00:33

Same here, Piscesmoon.

lljkk Sat 08-Aug-09 20:01:19

List in OP is control-freakery, but.... ime, most parents ignore at least some of those sorts of rules at least some of the time, the school/nursery just has to shrug and get on with it. I wouldn't let a list like that put me off (nor would I feel obliged to follow it particularly, except probably the nuts thing, there is a child at DC school who is very contact sensitive, I wouldn't want him having a near death experience to be on my conscience).

sarah293 Sat 08-Aug-09 20:01:42

Message withdrawn

piscesmoon Sat 08-Aug-09 20:04:19

I think it is another thing that shows how out of touch people are with the needs of boys! They really don't care as long as they get out to play. DS1 used to bring his home when he was at secondary school-most of the time-he claimed he didn't have the time to eat it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now