Talk

Advanced search

To think this woman was not honouring the deal?

(8 Posts)
muggglewump Sat 08-Aug-09 17:49:18

I shop in Charity Shops regularly, I love them.
In our local Salvation Army, they have a deal where you buy a big bag for £1.99, and everytime you bring it back full of donations, you get a £2.00 voucher to spend there.

I was in earlier, with 2 bin bags full of books, clothes, and shoes, all in excellent condition to donate.

I dropped them off and then went for a browse finding a cardy I liked for £3.99.

I asked could I just swap it for the donations.
OK so I hadn't filled the bag because what I'd brought wouldn't have all fit in it at once, but was easily 4 times as much, so worth £8.00 at least in vouchers, and I had the bag with me as I use it for shopping.

The woman was really sniffy and reluctant, stating that she wasn't happy giving me anything, as I hadn't used the bag to bring the donations!

She did let me have the cardy in the end, but I'm quite unhappy about it, and think she was BU.

Was she?

Tamarto Sat 08-Aug-09 17:50:39

Yes she was.

CarGirl Sat 08-Aug-09 17:51:49

Yes she was

dizzymare Sat 08-Aug-09 17:52:14

The words, jobsworth spring to mind! I don't think you were being Unreasonable, especially as it's their policy to give out vouchers not yours. I'd have stood there and showed her how many times I could fill one of her bags with all my stuffblush

muggglewump Sat 08-Aug-09 18:07:45

I should have done that.
I could barely carry one of the bags, the taxi driver helped me lift it out of the boot of the car and no way could I have got them on the bus!

It is their deal, not mine. I am happy to donate, but I chose there to get some vouchers back, as we shop there a lot and money is tight.

I was made to feel like I expected something for nothing, and considering I'm in there at least once a week, usually wearing something I've bought from there, and always with the bag, as it is my shopping bag, was out of order I thought.

I'll make a point of saying something next time I'm in.

cheshirekitty Sat 08-Aug-09 19:38:55

YANBU. Obviously a jobsworth.

Enjoy your new cardie. What colour is it?

thisisyesterday Sat 08-Aug-09 19:55:42

pah.
i'd have got the bag, filled it twce and then got the cardy.

then i'd have told her i was taking the rest of the donations to another charity shop.

muggglewump Sat 08-Aug-09 20:53:33

It's grey, a wraparound one and really nice. It has originated from M&Co, and I'm not happy with them this week either but I liked the cardy.
I'm wearing it now with a white long sleeved t and boyfriend jeans.
It looks good if I do say so myselfgrin

I will go back and say something to her.
I shop there a lot, I am a good customer and I didn't like the way I was made to feel for asking for less than what their deal offerred.
I'm actually tempted to contact head office too but I don't know if I'm just over reacting with that.

I don't have much which is why I shop in Charity Shops and why I donated there, so I could get something back and I'm thinking perhaps I am being over sensitive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now