Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this was rather cruel?

(34 Posts)
Thunderduck Sat 08-Aug-09 11:08:41

This might not seem like much but I thought that it was a pretty mean thing to do to a child.

While walking along the canal the other day I saw a couple with a small boy who was about three.

They kept dragging him to the edge of the bank and saying we're going to throw you in, and then you'll drown.
The poor kid was terrified, he was screaming his head off and pleading inbetween screams. He most certainly was not having fun.

They did this repeatedly, at one point dangling him over the water, again repeating 'We're going to throw you in'

I had to say something to them. They just thought it was funny though the child was extremely distressed.

AIBU to fail to understand why anyone would find this amusing?

slyandgobbo Sat 08-Aug-09 11:09:43

YANBU. They sound insane.

Narketta Sat 08-Aug-09 11:15:56

They sound nice hmm
Good on you for saying something to them.
What did you say? <Nosey emoticon>

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 08-Aug-09 11:16:21

What did you say and how did they take it?

I think it was a very stupid thing they did. How is it funny to distress your child? Idiots.

3littlefrogs Sat 08-Aug-09 11:17:57

That is really shocking and amounts to abuse IMO. Poor little soul. Were they the parents do you think, or could they have been strangers? (horrible thoughts of James Bulger...).

Thunderduck Sat 08-Aug-09 11:19:37

I was nice at first. I said that I think he's had enough, that he's very distressed and needs to be comforted.

They just laughed and said it was only a joke. I said he doesn't know it's a joke, and if it's a joke it isn't a very funny one. It's cruel so stop torturing him.

They just said you're making a fuss about nothing, and walked off.

Thunderduck Sat 08-Aug-09 11:20:23

They were his parents. I heard the poor kid screaming no mummy and no daddy don't when they were pretending to throw him in. Twats.angry

FlightHattendant Sat 08-Aug-09 11:21:11

Nasty sad

I saw a woman in the swimming pool the other week, with a maybe 20mo? boy. She was repeatedly dragging him backwards into the water, smiling to herself (she was lying down, holding his ankles - it was the baby pool) and at first I thought he was laughing hysterically, but no, he was sobbing sad

I kept staring at her, she seemed insane, then she had a big strop with him about 'tantrums' he was tiny and rolling around screaming because he didn't want to go in.

I stared and stared and eventually she stopped grinning and picked him up, wrapped him in a towel, kissed him (he stopped crying) and disappeared.

But I was hmm at her behaviour and felt so sad for him.

shinyshoes Sat 08-Aug-09 11:23:18

Some parents have no frickin idea do they

bastards angry

Good on you for saying something

Narketta Sat 08-Aug-09 11:26:19

Bloody hell FlightHattendant thats horrible.

Its pisses me off when people get some kind of sick enjoyment out of making there DC cry, its bullying!!angry

Thunderduck Sat 08-Aug-09 11:26:32

I actually wanted to swear and tell them what twats they were but I didn't want an screaming match which would cause more distress for the boy.

That poor baby FlightHattendant.sad I can't understand people like that at all. A terrified child is not something to laugh at.

FlightHattendant Sat 08-Aug-09 11:32:42

You did everything you could

sad

I guess these people were treated that way themselves and never found their way to enlightenment, or something...my mother was there and she said 'You can tell how her parents treated her can't you'.

The girl was only about 20 I think. I reckon partly she just assumed this was publicly acceptable and he mustn't be allowed to 'win' or people would think she was a bad parent - fucked up really.

Thunderduck Sat 08-Aug-09 11:35:00

And then to top my day off I went into a shop to buy a newspaper, only to hear a man,who had a girl of about 8 or 9 with him,yelling at her to hurry up, she was trying to choose a sweet, now that wasn't what bothered me.
The shopkeeper commented on the girl saying it's difficult to choose a sweet as they all look so good to kids, and he said 'She's lucky to be allowed one.She's lucky I put up with her at all.
I don't give a shit about her, she isn't mine, and if she disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't bother me'

The poor girl heard every word.

I wanted to follow them home, not that I would,and tell the girl's mother what a complete arse her partner was,

Narketta Sat 08-Aug-09 11:37:45

angry What a complete bastard!!!

Thunderduck Sat 08-Aug-09 11:44:00

Such outbursts are probably routine from him. The girl didn't seem surprised or shocked, she just put her head down.sad

Nancy66 Sat 08-Aug-09 11:45:42

what a horrible couple. They knew damn well they were being cruel and were undoubtedly getting a kick out of it.

dittany Sat 08-Aug-09 11:49:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BedofRosesItAintII Sat 08-Aug-09 11:51:34

This makes me feel very very on both accounts.

3littlefrogs Sat 08-Aug-09 12:39:29

These stories make me feel so sad. All these poor children, and these ignorant, ungrateful people who are not fit to be parents. sad angry

edam Sat 08-Aug-09 12:41:48

Horrible.

sarah293 Sat 08-Aug-09 13:18:59

Message withdrawn

cornsillk Sat 08-Aug-09 13:25:34

That's so sad. Good for you for saying something.

Tidey Sat 08-Aug-09 13:48:11

Very well done for saying something. Any passer-by without knowing they were actually his parents, could have just seen this as a poor young child being threatened and in distress and they could have phoned the police. The parents might have got into real trouble doing something so stupid. I hope they got the message not to do it again. Poor wee thing.

SixtyFootDoll Sat 08-Aug-09 13:50:37

Why do these people have children?
Stupid stupid people.
Makes me s o angry

tootyflooty Sat 08-Aug-09 13:54:08

what monsters, tbh I probaly would have called the police discretly and followed them, that in no way is acceptable behaviour. it makes me wonder how they would treat him at home behind closed doors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now