Talk

Advanced search

to expect mums to supervise children in restaurants?

(10 Posts)
deaddei Sat 08-Aug-09 08:47:46

I had a lovely day yesterday- the dcs were at friends houses 10-6 (bliss!) so I thought I'd take myself off for a nice walk along the river, a coffee (or two), spot of window shopping and a nice lunch.
Restaurant was busy, and I was put next to 2 yummy mums and 2 dds- about 8 and 6. They'd eaten, but were lingering over coffees. The ds were shouting "mummee, mummee" over and over again- mums just said "not now darling" and resumed their conversation.They then started playing chase round the table, knocking off a wine glass. Then came the banging of spoons on the (wooden table) and finally jumping down a set of stairs in the middle of the place.
Everyone was looking- the mums were absolutely oblivious,looking at the makeup purchases they'd made and just kept saying "don't do that darling" etc.
When more coffees arrived i nearly wept, but of course being British, sat there stoically with my magazine and glass of wine.
Put a real cloud on my otherwise lovely, child and husband free day.

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Sat 08-Aug-09 08:49:55

8 and 6!!!

bloody hell
thats ridiculous

they should definitely have said something

Thunderduck Sat 08-Aug-09 08:51:01

YANBU.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 08-Aug-09 08:51:07

Not unreasonable. They were being totally inconsiderate.

What is it with people who think they live in a bubble and never spare a thought for those around them?

VinegarTits Sat 08-Aug-09 08:54:08

yummy mummies? pair of inconsiderate bints morelike

bigchris Sat 08-Aug-09 09:02:55

god if I was without the kids I'd have gone somewhere/anywhere where there were no kids

I guess lunch in the school holidays is bound to involve kids though

ridingjoker Sat 08-Aug-09 09:04:02

i had to reread the ages.... toddler i could slightly think about overlooking

but 8&6 ! shock

deaddei Sat 08-Aug-09 09:05:39

Yes bigchris, I deliberately chose a place where children don't normally tend to go- wish I'd gone somewhere else.
Unfortunately, school hols- they're everywhere!!

monkeypinkmonkey Sat 08-Aug-09 09:08:56

Unfortunatly this kind of behaviour (by mums) seems rather common ime. When I worked in a v v busy restaurants some (not just yummie mummies types)just ignored their dc's. With the dc's running in waiters way (hot food drink etc). We even had one mum who let her poor ds wee himself (must have been 7 ish)and continued talking until staff alerted her and offered spare clothes, poor lil thing.

proverbial Sat 08-Aug-09 10:20:25

YABU, but YANBU fo not saying something if it was that irritating. A quick word to the mananger to tell them to sort it or leave would have helped both yourself and everyone else. Bet no-one said a word though...stiff upper lip and what ho! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now