(9 Posts)
Kayugaduck Sat 08-Aug-09 07:47:44

I would really love to:

1. Get my paints and easel out

2. Get to grips with maths so I can keep up with and understand dd's homework

3. Write creatively

4. Do more gardening

5. Practice a language I used to be good at

I am sahm (don't like it as confidence seems to have gone)and don't end up doing any of the above as just feel overwhelmed (lazy) by all there is to do. Me being SAHM (not by choice but job gone now)has taken the stress off our family (less money but I can do more with dc)but I find that my self discipline has gone with it.

Am I alone in this? Why have I created so many obstacles in my head.

posieparkerinChina Sat 08-Aug-09 07:54:14

I think the less we do the less we want to do. Creative writing, do a day course (very cheap) and start a journal.... three pages/20 minutes a day. Make a date with your easel. Get a language CD for the car, you can all learn! Do gardening with the dcs and Maths, do it with dd and teach each other!!!

Kayugaduck Sat 08-Aug-09 08:03:14

Thank you posie, I do keep a daily diary (since I was 15, now 45!)

I've signed up to do a free maths course at the local college starting Sept (but want to practice a bit over hols as can't even do percentages anymore shock

Why is the sheer motivation just to whip out a cassette so difficult I avoid doing it?

The garden is shouting at me to tend it but I go out there and ignore it (but feel guilty)

My paints are unused for many years but the willpower just to gather it all together just is not there.

Of course not doing these things makes me miserable as I know I would be happier if I did them. I suppose I worry I won't be any good.

I h

Hassled Sat 08-Aug-09 08:09:08

I think the more time you have available the less you do. I'm the same - between Easter and July I was going to re-decorate the stairs, landing and hall. I haven't even picked a paint colour yet.

But don't knock the fact you have mastered the art of procrastination - it's a much maligned skill.

Kayugaduck Sat 08-Aug-09 08:30:52

grin The adage 'If you want something done ask a busy person' is so true.

I used to be highly organised and efficient going from one meeting to the next and then getting a train with seconds to spare, it was an adrenalin rush that kept me going and now the only adrenalin rush I get is if someone gets stung by a wasp.

I want to be fired up again as there is lots to do here....

NancysGarden Sat 08-Aug-09 08:50:03

of course you're not alone. I am on the long summer hols atm and in 3ish weeks I have done a lot less than I had planned and anticipated. The more time you have, the more you can afford to be generous with the time you spend on things. I take longer to do the bloody washing-up for goodness sake, the washing the hoovering, the lot.

I too would like to be more time efficient. A lot more. Esp when I have a bit of time. But also the rest of the time.

If you know it will make you feel better, make make make yourself do it. Go on!

Hassled Sat 08-Aug-09 09:36:53

I think a lot of it is also to do with age - I certainly started slowing down when I hit 40. In my late 20s/early 30s I was a single parent with a full time, demanding job; I couldn't begin to sustain the pace now. It's hard to tell how much is because I don't have to (and back then it wasn't a case of choice), and how much is because I've just got old and lazy.

Kayugaduck Sat 08-Aug-09 12:50:21

Went for a run to fire me up then have spent time until now weeding!

Easel remains unused

NancysGarden Sat 08-Aug-09 13:41:47

Excellent start.

(Re easel, how about taking it and your paints somewhere picturesque for inspiration and when you get back, leave it up somewhere you have space to paint. It's easier to just pick it up when it's all set up <says she with the folded easel and canvases under the sofa blush>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now