Talk

Advanced search

To think that Tesco ought to have a trolley I can use?

(70 Posts)
FedUpWithRainyDevon Fri 07-Aug-09 14:12:48

I have a 2.5 year old and am pregnant. My son is big for his age, and heavy, so I can't lift him up, let alone put him in a trolley (I don't even want to think about getting him out). He's a good boy but it would be a nightmare trying to go round with him walking.

So at the moment I have to go to Tesco without him which means going in the evening, which is a real pain.

Their customer service took all my details 2 months ago and I haven't heard a thing.

Am I unreasonable thinking they ought to have a trolley that children can climb in themselves, with some kind of harness that comes down over their head like on a rollercoaster? (That was my idea!) I can't be the only pregnant woman with a small child going to Tesco? AIBU? Should I take it further?

TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 07-Aug-09 14:15:03

They ownt do anything! Do you remeber the Car trolleys? They had the Car in front for kids to ride in and a trolley at the back? They were a bit of a pita to stear but DS was able to get in himself, strap himself in and play nicley untill i had done the shopping, we had 2 in the whole massive store, i asked for more but they said no and then removed te 2 they had a few weeks later. Its madness!

dizzymare Fri 07-Aug-09 14:15:18

Get it delivered, then there's no hassle

lilacclaire Fri 07-Aug-09 14:17:29

Probably a h&s issue with having trolleys that kids can climb in and out of themselves.

StillNorks Fri 07-Aug-09 14:17:33

I think Yabu They do provide a wide variety of trolleys and if your son is large he will be over a safe weight limit to ride in a trolley anyway.( can he not walk next to you? If you are concerned about him running off, why not use a wrist strap?

rubyslippers Fri 07-Aug-09 14:18:53

online shopping - seriously

am 31 weeks pg with a 3 year old

a shopping trip is one hassle i can do without

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Aug-09 14:19:37

Its not likely that they could come up with the sort of thing you suggest within 2 months, if they don't already exist. Product design, safety testing...

Would it be worth asking if a member of staff could pop your son in and out of the normal trolley for you?

FedUpWithRainyDevon Fri 07-Aug-09 14:23:52

Hmm I have had home shopping here but had a few experiences where they substituted stuff and veggies were a bit rubbish, but I suppose I could try it again.

DS is a good boy and yes he could walk for some of it but it's a bit of a nightmare trying to shop with him because he's so interested in all the products, he likes to touch everything so I spend the whole time watching him and missing what I'm meant to be buying.

They had those cars in Canada TitsalinaBumsquash, and they were great, he was happy and actually loved going round the shop... I think I will ask why they don't have them, maybe there was an issue with them. You're right though, I guess they won't do anything about them.

I will only have this issue for a few more months so for me it won't be a problem but like I say it can't just be me that it affects. Stillnorks, I know they have a large variety, but maybe one more type wouldn't hurt? They make about £10 gzillion a day so I'm sure they could manage it.

How does everyone else cope who is pregnant? Just home shopping?

FedUpWithRainyDevon Fri 07-Aug-09 14:25:03

Yes Grimma, that is a simple solution I suppose... I might try that

No you're right, they couldn't come up with anything that quick, maybe IABU about that. Still if they do come up with something in the future I'll feel happy for other mums in the same boat.

sarah293 Fri 07-Aug-09 14:28:40

Message withdrawn

lilackaty Fri 07-Aug-09 14:32:55

If he will walk for a bit, could you get the rest of your shopping delivered and just go for vegetables?
I carried my 3 year old up 4 flights of stairs the day before I had ds and I must have hoiked her in and out of trollies but I don't remember.
Online shopping is good - could you try another supermarket or say no to substitutions.

ruddynorah Fri 07-Aug-09 14:33:42

how i 'cope'? well i'm nearing 30 wks pregnant and have a 3 year old.

i do a big shop online then all i need are bits and bobs i can pop out for with dd.

or dh does it.

but then i wouldn't be trying to put a 3 yr old in a trolley anyway, she'd walk.

macdoodle Fri 07-Aug-09 14:36:12

YABtotallyU, must admit to snorting somewhat at your OP!

trixymalixy Fri 07-Aug-09 14:38:10

I think you are being a little bit unreasonable!

Online shopping is definitely the way to go.

They have those little cars at the tesco near me, but you can't take them out to your car as people keep knicking them so it's more hassle than they are worth.

MadameCastafiore Fri 07-Aug-09 14:39:15

YANBU - they should design a trolley especially for you and have to gold plated and shipped to your house hmm

Are you mad woman?????

FedUpWithRainyDevon Fri 07-Aug-09 14:40:37

I'm genuinely surprised, sounds like most people don't have my problem then, guess I am being unreasonable! Thought it would be an issue for a few women but maybe it's just me.

lilackaty, I admire your carrying your DC and I don't mind doing that nearer term but at the moment I think trying to put a child who weighs around 38lbs in and out of a trolley might be asking for trouble.

I find it weird that everyone's telling me to walk around with him - I see plenty of children older than him in trollies, I don't think I'm being that weird am I?

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 07-Aug-09 14:42:05

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 07-Aug-09 14:43:13

Message withdrawn

oysterpots Fri 07-Aug-09 14:43:19

YABU to shop at Tesco! It's the devil's pantry wink

Like others have said, do an online order with a different supermarket, say no substitutions.

MadameCastafiore Fri 07-Aug-09 14:44:55

No I don't think people have your problem - if they did and Tesco produced them there would be fights for whay I guarantee you my two would call the 'fat kid' trolley!

ruddynorah Fri 07-Aug-09 14:46:16

i think the key thing is to get your bulky main stuff on line then just do a top up shop now and again. toddlers can cope usually with a quick 10 minutes in a small m&s or lidl for bits and bobs but not a massive tesco for an hour with you heaving a massive trolley about, packing it all, loading the car up etc etc. the lifting them into the trolley aspect is kind of by the by.

hobbgoblin Fri 07-Aug-09 14:47:33

I lifted my lazy but skinny 7 year old into the trolley when pregnant. I'm only 5'2" and it was tricky. Get some dumbells?

FedUpWithRainyDevon Fri 07-Aug-09 14:50:53

My DS isn't fat by the way and he doesn't need an extra wide trolley, it was purely the lifting of him in and out (he is just tall like his Dad so getting his legs out of the trolley is hard enough at the best of times)

While I agree that online shopping probably is the easiest answer, I am really surprised that as a group of mums you're not more supportive of something that would help other mums do their shopping. I've had my eyes opened today!

I'll have a look into other shops online but there aren't any round here, that's why I am using the devil's pantry!

MrsBadger Fri 07-Aug-09 15:00:40

yabu

but you are heavily pregnant and sound a bit irrational so we forgive you

life's a bitch sometimes, isn't it?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 07-Aug-09 15:05:41

Ocado are good, I've been using them for over a year and they have only ever substituted an item once. I wasn't too impressed with the oranges they delivered last week but everything else has been fine. The also bring a free copy of the Times. You can see what's in stock when you place your order, the screen also shows how long you should expect the item to last for aswell and the reciept has the used by dates on them aswell. The vast majority of things are tesco price matched, you can also get the waitrose essential stuff (own brand) from them aswell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now