Talk

Advanced search

to be slightly annoyed

(6 Posts)
HollyBunda Thu 06-Aug-09 15:20:33

I arranged a camping outing with some friends & their kids (4 families who all know each other).

Two of the friends have gone ahead and invited their friends as well, ones that I don't know and the other families don't know.

Normally I wouldn't care, I love meeting new people, but I'm very pregnant (will be 35 weeks at the time) and just wanted a chilled relaxed time with my good friends, not loads of others that I may not get along with (and their kids may not get along with the others).

The other concern I have is now with loads of people, there may be more alcohol involved.
We recently found an idyllic camp spot & the owners are really friendly and we want to stay on good terms with them.
One of their policies is that you keep alcohol to a respectable minimum.
I love a good drink and would myself be partaking if not so damn pregnant, but with all these people who don't know each other, I wouldn't be surprised if the alcohol starts flowing so that everyone feels more comfortable, and we are the party who gets kicked out of the camp.

There is nothing I can do/say about it either because they just went ahead and booked their spots.
I'm just a bit meh now about the whole thing.
Tell me I'm not BU please, but if I am, how do you suggest I deal with this.

porcupine11 Thu 06-Aug-09 15:26:27

I'd be annoyed - you had a holiday in mind, not a meeting-new-people extravaganza. It does change the atmosphere when people don't know each other that well. You'll have to try and look on the bright side though - more people to share chores so you can sit back and relax, more kids to make friends with your kids, and sometimes it is really nice way to liven up conversation to have some new faces, as things get stuck in a rut with groups of long term friends. Surely you can't have THAT much alcohol involved if everyone has kids to look after - it's not as if anyone (of the adults) will start letting down other guests' tents and peeing in the wrong place?!

IsItMeOr Thu 06-Aug-09 16:03:38

YANBU at all to be slightly annoyed, but I suspect that your hormones may be making this seem worse than it is. As you say, you'd normally be up for it, so perhaps your friends didn't realise that you wouldn't now?

And don't worry about the camp site, it is for the owners to make their policies clear to everybody, not you. Last time we had a party with parents and kids they mostly drank coffee, but perhaps that is just our friends!

I think you can still have a lovely time if you just try to chill, and not worry about things that haven't happened yet. Sounds like you need a good break, so I hope you get it.

Stigaloid Thu 06-Aug-09 16:09:11

I agree with IsitMeor - YANBU to be annoyed but they may be absolutely lovely people who don't want to get wasted on booze and just want a lovely weekend camping with like minded people. The kids would probably love having more to play with and they may be lovely.

We just went camping without knowing anyone but the people organising it (everyone was friends of organisers but not of each other). Kids ranged from 8 months to 16 years and all got along beautifully. was a tremendous time and my 2 year old loved it.

It may be a real joy - hope it is and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

HollyBunda Thu 06-Aug-09 16:13:45

you are all very right.
This pregnancy has not been very easy, and I am pretty stressed at the moment. I suppose I wanted a stress free hols, without the added what ifs.....

I will try to chill out, but I suspect I'll spend the next 3 weeks coming up with all sorts of silly ideas about what might happen.

IsItMeOr Thu 06-Aug-09 17:46:37

Well at least you have the pg to blame - I suspect I would do that anyway. My name is IsIt and I am high maintenance grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now