Talk

Advanced search

to hate drivers who flash you in to traffic but don't actually slow down very much?

(6 Posts)
WhatFreshHellIsThis Wed 05-Aug-09 16:46:49

Driver (often of van or other large vehicle like a bus) flashes you into the traffic in front of them but only slows down enough to let you in if you spot their signal instantly and move like greased lightning.

Then when they have to brake a bit more because you haven't instantly sped into the space, they get all huffy.

For some reason this gets me very annoyed. Especially as sometimes they're still going so fast that I'm not convinced they're letting me in, so I hesitate, and then they flash and flash and flash and glare.

Bah.

claricebeansmum Wed 05-Aug-09 18:54:08

I hate this too. I nearly had a huge accident because I was at a T junction and the lorry flashed - to the person turning left and not me who was turning right shock. I was really lucky that I had a second thought and did not pull out.

However, I do like the lorry drivers on m'way who flash to let you know when it is safe to pull back in in front of them after you have overtaken them. I think it is a Dad thing to do - I feel shepherded!!!!

Pan Wed 05-Aug-09 19:09:45

Well it's a bit confusing. According to the Highway Code, using lights like this merely means "take note of my prescence when you act" i.e. it doesn't mean "you go first" though people often intend this.

Foreign lorry drivers in particular may not appreciate the subtle difference??

NorthernLurker Wed 05-Aug-09 19:12:09

This happens to me when cycling too and I hate it. Feel like shouting 'oh pardon me for not instantly hurling myself and my offspring under your wheels. After all you slowing to 29 miles an hour gives me so much more time' hmm

WhatFreshHellIsThis Wed 05-Aug-09 19:50:26

Yes, that's exactly what I mean NorthernLurker - it's that 'I'm doing you a favour, can't believe you have thought twice before risking your child's life by pulling out in front of a double decker bus/ten ton lorry/articulated juggernaut' type thing.

But I do like the motorway thing, claricebeansmum. I feel looked after too grin

Pan - you're absolutely right, you shouldn't use lights like that. But hand gestures are even more open to misinterpretation! I have gestured at my passenger for emphasis once or twice and accidentally let someone into the traffic....blush

AnyFucker Wed 05-Aug-09 21:48:15

what irritates me is when people flash their lights at you to try to make you break the rules of the road

to explain, when you are waiting to turn right into a side street and someone oncoming slows down, flashes you and gets peeved when you don't move because you YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF FECKIN' WAY"...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now