Talk

Advanced search

to be honest about our nuisance neighbours?

(9 Posts)
MamaLazarou Wed 05-Aug-09 16:32:56

We are moving in October. Our current neighbours are absolutely unbearable b****s: noisy, smelly, rude, inconsiderate... just the worst neighbours you could possibly imagine.

Our landlady (who is really lovely) is planning to find new tenants when we leave.
The question is, if we have to show people round the house and they ask what the neighbours are like, should I be honest? They are usually in all day, making a racket anyway, but if they are being strangely quiet, and the prospective tenants ask me what they are like, should I tell them that the neighbours are the main reason we are moving?

I feel like I should be honest, because that's what I would hope that people would be honest with me in the same situation. But I don't want to fall out with our lovely landlady, who has been brilliant (she even offered to lower the rent when she found out we were having a baby).

AIBU to be honest?

daisydora Wed 05-Aug-09 16:35:37

No YANBU to be honest, but out of respect to the landlady who has treated you so well I wouldn't be totally honest.

Say you don't have much to do with them if they ask - don't lie just don't tell the whole truth!!!

MorrisZapp Wed 05-Aug-09 16:36:56

I'd be honest. Your lovely landlady doesn't have to put up with the hell of bad neighbours. We have noisy neighbours too and it affects your whole life.

If you were selling, that's a different story. Buyer beware etc.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 05-Aug-09 16:37:00

Why don't you tell your landlady that your neighbours are so unpleasant that you can't take responsibility for showing new tenants round?

It would be unfair to lose her potential new tenants, on the other hand it's unfair to potential new tenants that they don't know. But it's equally unfair to put you in a position where you feel you will be 'telling'.

So showing prospective new tenants around shouldn't be your responsibility but your landlady's.

GentlyDoesIt Wed 05-Aug-09 16:37:29

I think in these circumstances your loyalty should lie with your landlady, TBH, since she has been supportive of you. You don't owe the new tenants anything.

I've rented quite a bit and I've never asked about neighbours - if I get to meet a current tenant, I'm more likely to ask whether the landlady is any good!

If you're directly asked and the dishonesty makes you feel very uncomfortable, maybe just leave it as "We don't get on with our neighbours, so we'd rather not comment."

JemL Wed 05-Aug-09 16:37:35

I wouldn't volunteer the information, but wouldn't be able to lie if asked directly about the neighbours.

I wouldn't go into massive detail and say that they are why you are moving, but it is only fair to make them aware if there have been "incidents"

GentlyDoesIt Wed 05-Aug-09 16:39:32

Actually, change mine to what BecauseImWorthIt said. Very honest and very fair.

MamaLazarou Wed 05-Aug-09 16:41:52

The landlady is aware of how we feel about the neighbours!

There are no particular 'incidents', just constant bastardry.

Thanks for your comments so far.

MummyDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 17:04:00

I agree with MorrisZapp and I also like BecauseI'mWorthIt's approach.

Btw I am a landlady smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now