Talk

Advanced search

In thinking that the national flu pandemic helpline should be manned by people with some grasp of written and spoken english?

(4 Posts)
hadachangeofname Wed 05-Aug-09 14:16:07

I have rung twice. The first time because I said I was tired, and kept sleeping, I was told I was seriously ill and to call an ambulance - which even I with my limited medical knowledge knew not to be the case. The second person managed just about to establish that I had swine flu, but i could hear someone standing near them and whispering the "long words" (like temperature) for them. My Ds(10) can read better than that and it's very hard to go through that when you are feeling c**p. Also both operators had very strong accents and were very quiet on the phone. AIBU?

blondissimo Wed 05-Aug-09 17:31:03

YANBU - when it comes to your health I feel you need to be given clear and concise information. Imagine if someone who was a hypochondriac had been told they were seriously ill and to call an ambulance?
To be fair to the operators, they are just reading from flow charts (I think?)

stuffitlllama Wed 05-Aug-09 17:33:00

There's been a lot written about the crappiness of this service. I'm sure it can't be as bad as hauling people in off the streets and handing them an info sheet, but some of the things you read seem to give that impression.

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 05-Aug-09 17:36:43

I was reading about this. Apparently they have employed a lot of people for whom there is a clear language barrier. I think it is important to be able to communicate clearly with the people you have been employed to serve and if you are unable to do this - that is unacceptable.

It has happened because having the line and being seen to do Something is more important than what you do actually being helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now