Talk

Advanced search

to think that workhouses definitely have a place in today's society?

(87 Posts)
expatinscotland Wed 05-Aug-09 11:48:01

if people are poor, it's their fault.

if they just worked hard they wouldn't be in such a state of penury.

'the poor' by definition are lazy and feckless.

and those who won't fit in the workhouse definitely require some indoctrination!

they should never be allowed indoor plumbing, central heat, food other than rice and pulses or toilet paper.

this will inspire them to achieve more.

Lizzylou Wed 05-Aug-09 11:50:04

Am completely with you

If the poor people were all shut away doing something productive, like packaging fruit or making M&S ready meals, then we wouldn't have to share the same air as them.

Or trip over their smelly dogs

expatinscotland Wed 05-Aug-09 11:53:29

Or breath in fag smoke and alcohol fumes.

I don't get why they're allowed to share the same air as other people.

Tamarto Wed 05-Aug-09 11:53:35

I'd rather they weren't touching my food tbh, set them to work scrubbing sand for rich peoples sandpits.

expatinscotland Wed 05-Aug-09 11:55:11

Breaking rocks never did anyone any harm.

Lizzylou Wed 05-Aug-09 11:55:51

V true Tamarto

They could be let out to scrub swimming pools and David Lloyd Centres.

The more dexterous could sew Boden clothes or make WAG handbags

OrmIrian Wed 05-Aug-09 11:56:14

And let's not forget that MN is full of people ready and willing to identify the undeserving poor.

StinkyFart Wed 05-Aug-09 11:57:55

har har top thread expat

expatinscotland Wed 05-Aug-09 11:59:21

Well, Orm, I think MN should hire such people out to the government, to ferret out these serfs and get them to the workhouse where they belong!

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Wed 05-Aug-09 12:01:09

Compulsory sterilisation! That's what we need!
Stop the 'poor' feckers breeding.....

expatinscotland Wed 05-Aug-09 12:03:52

Exactly, kidcreole. If you can't afford kids you shouldn't have them! If you get into a state where you can't afford them after they're here there's always adopting them out to loving homes or workhouse for them as well.

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Wed 05-Aug-09 12:07:50

Mmmm i'm not sure adoption would be that easy Expat as the babies would have the 'poor gene' and would be prone to lazy,chavvy,scrounging behaviour. Hence the compulsory sterilisation....it's definately the way forward.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 05-Aug-09 12:10:42

(((couagreegh))

stick all the drinkers who sit on benches all day in them, it will give them something to do. Parents that beat their children/neglect them should be in them aswell.

dilemma456 Wed 05-Aug-09 12:11:37

Message withdrawn

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 05-Aug-09 12:14:55

Lentils?? Don't you mean gruel?

sarah293 Wed 05-Aug-09 12:16:15

Message withdrawn

mollyroger Wed 05-Aug-09 12:24:45

you lot seen the price of rice these days?Tis a rich man's food, I tell 'ee....

(

wastingmyejumication Wed 05-Aug-09 12:29:42

Thank God, I thought this was going to be a piss-take thread!

Well, I have a modest proposal...

onagar Wed 05-Aug-09 12:32:15

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 05-Aug-09 12:43:34

Go on then wasting smile

pagwatch Wed 05-Aug-09 12:47:56

I agree but I would want to be the person who chooses between the deserving andthe undeserving poor. The undeserving would then be tattooed and the deserving would be allowed to smile on Thursdays as long as they were grateful

Habbibu Wed 05-Aug-09 12:50:40

Oh, hang on now. Are you saying that the State should provide this workhouse? Do you want MY taxes to pay for the bricks, the roof, the plumbing? You'll be insisting on windows and doors next. That's not what someone's grandfather fought the war to preserve my right to decide who gets the benefit of my taxes for.

karala Wed 05-Aug-09 12:50:59

they would be tattoed on their foreheads so it would be completely obvious? I've heard that sometimes undeserving poor people can look like other people.

pasturesnew Wed 05-Aug-09 12:55:52

I know you are kidding expat but I am so glad workhouses are no longer with us. Men and women and children separated, living on gruel, orphans / unmarried mothers / the mentally ill forced into the workhouse (often treated as one and the same issue), getting diseases, dying young ...

The history of workhouses is really interesting www.workhouses.org.uk/

pasturesnew Wed 05-Aug-09 12:59:26

Ah but karala the modern science of physiognomy can help us here, someone with small eyes is clearly a thief and someone with thick lips is a rapist. Be very careful who you dare to mix with! Only those with golden ringlets are innocent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now