Talk

Advanced search

To want to yell GET A JOB THEN at a couple of my friends?

(51 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Wed 05-Aug-09 10:38:54

Message withdrawn

MitchyInge Wed 05-Aug-09 10:40:24

hmm

trefusis Wed 05-Aug-09 10:42:31

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Wed 05-Aug-09 10:44:58

what are they doing running a car at all if they're all about saving the planet?

CyradisTheSeer Wed 05-Aug-09 10:46:28

Message withdrawn

StinkyFart Wed 05-Aug-09 10:46:36

hmmm must be 'let's have a go at people on benfits' day today

sleepymommy Wed 05-Aug-09 10:47:49

Before you get flamed, I'd just like to say I agree with you. I wouldn't generalise, and I know that there are lots of people who don't work for good reasons. I don't judge people for making different choices to me. BUT, I hate people who complain about not having money when they don't work, and don't have a good reason.

Now I'm going to get popcorn and see what everyone else thinks grin

MitchyInge Wed 05-Aug-09 10:49:07

If this is real (neither of these benefit-bashing threads ring particularly true today) isn't it a good thing that people, even people who shock horror don't work, have causes they believe in and support?

thighsmadeofcheddar Wed 05-Aug-09 10:50:20

I don't understand how they can just decide they don't want to work. It's not like their circumstances prevent them from working is it?

sleepymommy Wed 05-Aug-09 10:50:22

Stinky, it's not about people on benefits, it's about people who don't make a contribution to society even though they are perfectly able to do so.
I can't see any way to defend that, I really can't.

Lizzylou Wed 05-Aug-09 10:51:29

They do seem very hypocritical.

Have you ever said "here's an idea..get a job!" to them?
Why don't they work? For a Green Charity/Ethical company or somesuch?

trefusis Wed 05-Aug-09 10:52:13

Message withdrawn

SolidGoldBrass Wed 05-Aug-09 10:52:45

They sound like a right pair of twunts. I bet the dole is subsidised by a trust fund or general Mummy and Daddy Handouts as well.

It's also true that you can be a smelly self-obsessed hippy planet saver and earn money, or at least some money, though - flogging handicrafts or aura healing or some other unnecessary twaddle to other self-obsessed hippy twats is one way to do so, the other is to work on worthwhile project (organic farming, conservation, care work - care workers are often 'alternative'-looking because it's a profession where your willingness to get stuck in is what matters most).
But this pair of Modern Parents are a type I have encountered once or twice before, basically they are spoilt, thick and lazy and always will be.

JemL Wed 05-Aug-09 10:53:14

Both the benefit / job / wastrel laybout OP's are friends with people whose lifestyles they abhor; why?!?! If it annoys you so much, why are you friends with them?!

MitchyInge Wed 05-Aug-09 10:53:34

how do you know they are able to work? how does everyone know so much about everyone else?

sleepymommy Wed 05-Aug-09 10:55:19

Well I would assume that as the OP is friends with them she knows their circumstances. And if they're able to go on protests etc, they're able to work.

BrieVanDerKamp Wed 05-Aug-09 10:56:12

what the hell does waxing their dreads mean???

literally putting wax on them???

OR

waxing off the stray hairs, hahahahaha

I just find that histerical

no idea what it means pleae tell me wink

MitchyInge Wed 05-Aug-09 10:57:28

I don't think going on a protest march is the same as being capable of holding down a job really.

ZZZenAgain Wed 05-Aug-09 10:57:30

I don't have anything against people being on benefits generally. I don't want people sleeping in cardboard boxes and starving to death on my doorstep so I think you need to be prepared to allow some people to be shouldered by the welfare state who perhaps don't strictly speaking need to be. I just prefer it to the alternative version which is those who really cannot provide for themselves are just not provided for.

However, I do understand the OP when it comes to people who don't choose to work because they are a bit comfortable/lazy moaning on about money. I rmemeber when I was a student one guy who would always say he couldn't come and have a coffee with us because he couldn't afford it and I thought hmm if I couldn't afford a cup of coffee, I'd get a Saturday job. He'd expect someone to buy him a coffee but would he contemplate ever working in a holiday job or something? No way.

That kind of attitude gets my goat a bit. Also SAHM (such as myself) who complain they cannot afford something or other for the dc and I think well, if I really wanted something for my dd, I would be able to earn enough to pay for it. I mean nothing dramatic here but say music lessons. Not everyone always can get a job but most people could get a bit of money in if they really really wanted to.

I admire a Kenyan friend of mine whose dh is a knob with a good job yet he will not pay for the dd to do singing/music so my friend goes out to clean privately. This on top of her regualr part-time job btw. They are on the face of it well-off, so few people know she does this, I admire her for that personally.

trefusis Wed 05-Aug-09 10:57:53

Message withdrawn

CyradisTheSeer Wed 05-Aug-09 10:58:18

Message withdrawn

JemL Wed 05-Aug-09 10:59:04

Anyway, you need people who do these things...I might work, but I never go on protests, and apart from working for a charity <polishes halo> I do fuck all to save the planet / challenge authority / stand up for a anything at all really. I just have a standing order to greenpeace, and think I'm doing my bit. Perhaps it isn't ideal that the only people who actually do anything have dreadlocks, wear hemp trousers and smoke weed, but hey, no-one else is bothering....

BrieVanDerKamp Wed 05-Aug-09 11:00:38

Again.....what the hell does waxing their dreads mean??????????????

CyradisTheSeer Wed 05-Aug-09 11:00:48

Message withdrawn

BrieVanDerKamp Wed 05-Aug-09 11:01:48

that is disgusting, do they smell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now