Talk

Advanced search

To expect DP to cope with ONE simple task

(39 Posts)
dilemma456 Wed 05-Aug-09 09:52:50

Message withdrawn

steffibabes Wed 05-Aug-09 09:58:38

Did you see Top Gear on Sunday? Richard Hammond admitted that men cannot do more than one task like breathing and something else.

So now it has been admitted on national TV, maybe you are being unreasonable wink.

PS This is not necessarily my personal opinion.

MummyDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 12:17:37

Hang on ... he managed to locate the swimming costme AND the bag? All by himself? BOTH items?

Give the man a medal and leave him alone, you harpy wink grin

dilemma456 Wed 05-Aug-09 13:45:00

Message withdrawn

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 05-Aug-09 13:46:32

I thought the title was GP.

I lucked out as my DH can do more than one thing at once. grin

MoonIsATiredSlayer Wed 05-Aug-09 14:10:32

I'm amazed he knew that she went swimming.

cat64 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:20:04

Message withdrawn

randomtask Wed 05-Aug-09 14:24:07

Ah see my DH could do it but depending on his mood he might have to be told what goes in.

I've found if he has to cope, he is amazingly organised, if I help he's lazy.

Incidentally though, after a 'talk' this weekend about his need to be more organised (he started it although I'd been thinking it) he's spent the morning packing our bags for a night and day away, now is off food shopping and will cook our 'picnic' for later before picking me up from work. grin I shall make sure he realises how much I appreciate this later.... wink

So, I think it's all about them wanting to do things properly....

MamaVoo Wed 05-Aug-09 14:24:34

My dh might manage to put the towel in, but only if given very precise instructions as to which towel. He'd panic if he had to choose one himself.

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 05-Aug-09 14:45:26

such twattery would irk me tbh.

I suspect he has been swimming more than once in his life and could work out the bare essentials if it were him going.

sleeplessinstretford Wed 05-Aug-09 14:50:57

i started a thread about this on the weekend,where i nearly knifed my dp due to his inability to listen to a FUCKING WORD anyone says to him...

CMOTdibbler Wed 05-Aug-09 14:52:56

Surely your DD could tell that she didn't have a towel though ?

dilemma456 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:56:41

Message withdrawn

hercules1 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:59:05

I know you know and everything but I can't help but say that it's not a "man" thing. It was your dp. I hate it when "men" are excused from being stupid and we all laugh at them being "men".

MorrisZapp Wed 05-Aug-09 15:02:05

It's a puzzle innit. Richard Hammond and lots of other men manage to create, build and drive amazing cars, hold down fandango jobs involving all kinds of analytical and logical thinking, and ran the country single handed until women pitched up in the last couple of generations.

Yet they can't do the joined up thinking to realise that swimming kit includes a towel.

I'm suspicious. I think men are just as practical, capable and intelligent as normal people, they just want us to think they're rubbish at the tasks that bore them, so that eventually we'll stop hassling them to do them.

Which is a bit of a masterstroke.

MoonIsATiredSlayer Wed 05-Aug-09 15:13:48

Have you only just realised that morriszapp?

notyummy Wed 05-Aug-09 15:16:50

No doubt there are many pieces of scientific research to show that men and womens brains are wired differently and so they are less suited to certain tasks.

I think men are just better at completely ignoring things they dont want to do.

Having said that, most of the time DH is brilliant and just as efficient as me (not that I am any sort of role model...)

lynniep Wed 05-Aug-09 15:22:52

A list - you need to give him a list. You shouldnt have to, but see the consequences when you dont!

I have a list for DS's swimming bag just in case I need him to pack it, cos I KNOW DH wont think of everything.

He might manage a swim nappy, but he wont remember a cossie as well (not the end of the world as its the nappy that matters)

He definately won't remember to bring a normal nappy to put on DS afterwards. Its unlikely he'll remember more than one towel and its unheard of that he'd remember to pack my/his cossie too.

Its the same with DS's everyday bag. If DH takes him out on a weekend, I have to oversee the bag packing, otherwise I get 'He (DS) was really whingey because he didnt have any snacks/dummy/wipes/nappy/juice' and so on. Well, thats because the fairies dont magically put it in there and daddy really should know what is required by now as DS is nearly 2 and a half.

But I am thankful he takes him out at all so its no big thing to oversee bag packing wink

hercules1 Wed 05-Aug-09 15:26:21

I knew it wouldnt be long before someone mentioned a list (shudder).

randomtask Wed 05-Aug-09 15:30:33

MorrisZapp - I work with 4 women, all of whom tell me that men need things packing for them (otherwise they go on holiday without pants apparently) and that they can't cope with simple things like doing the food shopping. I'm on a one woman crusade to prove, as you said, they're doing it badly so someone else does it for them. DH does more than his fair share around the house and as I said earlier, can be organised when he wants to be. I ignore certain things (bad washing up, ironing etc) as I suspect he's hoping if he does it badly enough I'll do it instead.

When DH popped into the office for my car keys earlier (to empty the boot and pack it again for tonight) my female colleagues told them how impressed they were. He just looked confused!!

Pan Wed 05-Aug-09 15:46:40

god, your dp is such a useless wanker. Utterly inadequate, the brain power of a nucleus. Thoughtless. Stupid. A really shit father all round, as well.

What on earth are you doing with him?

Have you thought of Relate? Or just putting him down and so not wasting any more of the earths scarce resources?

MorrisZapp Wed 05-Aug-09 15:46:48

Let's start a campaign!

Most soldiers are men aren't they - look how immaculate and organised they are able to keep their kit.

Butlers are traditionally male.

My DP is very vain about his appearance and won't let me iron his shirts even when I (once!) offered. He is capable of cooking, cleaning, packing a suitcase and planning ahead like anybody else.

We don't have kids so perhaps if we did I'd see the syndrome in action.

randomtask Wed 05-Aug-09 16:03:14

We have DSS (aged 8) from DH's first marriage. His first wife died after being ill for a long time so he had to be organised whilst looking after his baby (she got ill just after DSS was born and died when he was 3). Saying that though, he says his first wife didn't like housework, paperwork or anything related to being a grown up so he'd always done it all anyway. It's worked in my favour as if I do a bit of cooking and cleaning he thinks I'm really helpful. grin Who knows what'll happen when we have babies though....

MoonIsATiredSlayer Wed 05-Aug-09 16:36:27

I dream of a useful/helpful person living in my house.....

dilemma456 Wed 05-Aug-09 17:48:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now