Talk

Advanced search

To think the Samsung ad about impatience is a crime to humanity

(23 Posts)
NancysGarden Wed 05-Aug-09 09:29:25

I'm sorry if this has already been done on MN but I'm not on here much atm.

Have you seen it? It is the single most vulgar thing I have seen on TV in a long time. Admittedly aimed at possibly younger/ childless audience but my goodness. I could weep every time I see it.

Impatience never got you anywhere. What ever happened to good things coming to those who wait? Aren't we trying to teach our children the value of delayed gratification. I find it the most socially irresponsible ad of them all (and there are a few, eh).

Outraged.

NancysGarden Wed 05-Aug-09 13:23:57

Just me then?

famishedass Wed 05-Aug-09 13:27:05

All advertising is purile and patronising in my opinion - the Samsung advert you refer to is too. This is why it's harder for us to raise our families with good values today than it was for our parents. They weren't up against shit like this.

As you were.

Mintyy Wed 05-Aug-09 13:32:32

Hard to comment. Haven't seen the ad. Perhaps you could link?

claricebeansmum Wed 05-Aug-09 13:38:40

It's on youtube.

It clearly sends out the message that it is OK to barge in and be completely selfish. I think aimed at the 20 somethings probably. Also all seems to revolve around drinking and partying because those are the only two things in life that matter.

Not a brilliant ad anyway.

serajen Wed 05-Aug-09 13:58:02

Yup, totally agree Nancy, it's the me, me, me generation stuff and it's really sad, instant gratification at expense of all others, that seems to be what makes the world go round these days, we have lost so much

NancysGarden Wed 05-Aug-09 13:58:19

And drinking and partying really get the job done!

Grrrrr

NancysGarden Wed 05-Aug-09 14:03:36

And you can bet the makers of the ad (middle aged fat cats) will laughing all the way to the bank as they cash in on vapid hedonists (or those aiming to be, now they've seen the ad, they know it's ok...oh I know people aren't that simple but if the young watch the ad often enough it might sink into their consciousness, that's what they're hoping for anyway isn't it?)

thefatladyscreams Wed 05-Aug-09 14:04:42

Another one who absolutely hates it here.

Awful message to send out but unfortunately it probably appeals to a lot of people.

Feel better for reading this though grin

LouieStrumpet Wed 05-Aug-09 15:01:43

Oh I hate it as well, saw it at the cinema a couple of weeks ago.

I guess the thing that bugged me the most was the fact the 'patient' people are all normal looking, old, bald, rounded, bearded whatever - just normal.

And the 'impatient' ones are model-type.

Urgh - just awful - sends out the wrong message entirely.

Vegemitelover Wed 05-Aug-09 15:07:54

exactly what i was thinking Louis Strumpet. Why are the 'gorgeous' people able to afford fancy clothes and still party hard without working.

terrible ad - i agree.

i woke up today and decided that the tv was not to be turned on AT ALL! we are having a lovely day - especially now that the sun is shining.

LouieStrumpet Wed 05-Aug-09 15:11:04

This thread has got me thinking - it will be a bit like shovelling shit uphill- but I might email Samsung and complain. Hopefully lots of other people will too and the horrid thing will be taken off-air.

monkeyfeathers Wed 05-Aug-09 15:11:30

Also, it's totally inaccurate. It definitely wasn't impatience that got us jet engines and other such technologies. The numerous people who worked on all the little incremental steps which led to these technologies definitely had to be patient and diligent and hardworking. I'm clearly a pedant, but this annoys me every time I see the advert.

thefatladyscreams Wed 05-Aug-09 15:17:50

Oh monkeyfeathers this is like therapy! Every time the ad is on I moan to my DH that surely all those inventions were due to the patience of engineers. Would you want to fly on a plane built by a load of impatient prats grin

NancysGarden Wed 05-Aug-09 16:44:11

monkeyfeathers you hit the nail on the head. I might give Samsung an e-mail myself. Blethering idiots. Or the company thet commissioned to do the ad.

fattybumbum Wed 05-Aug-09 20:39:23

I agree. There are so many adverts these days which seem to think they are being trendy by espousing antisocial attitudes. We're all going to hell in a handcart...

OrmIrian Wed 05-Aug-09 20:41:07

It is horrible I agree.

bruxeur Wed 05-Aug-09 20:42:56

"Samsung Jet - the phone for twats".

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 05-Aug-09 20:53:48

Absolutely, totally agree. Appalling message of instant gratification with no effort required. Like being an instant celebrity, famous just for being famous. Grrrrrr.

I don't know if it's supposed to be witty or tongue-in-cheek or something, but it is just going to appeal to vapid teenage airheads who actually will have their thoughts reinforced that anything that requires time/effort/patience is boring and uncool.

Actually I do think advertising in itself is largely responsible for this shortening of our attention spans in the first place.

MuffinToptheMule Wed 05-Aug-09 21:05:32

Dh and I love this advert. Well we love the saying 'Patience is knowing you're bored and doing nothing about it'.

MuffinToptheMule Wed 05-Aug-09 21:13:43

Gah, not Dh, Dp!!!!

MummieGee Wed 05-Aug-09 21:25:31

So glad I'm not the only one who HATES that ad!! Vile and stupid. Think most of them are and always switch over to a BBC channel when ad breaks start but that one I find particularly offensive. That and the Corsa 'come on!' ads! Just bluergh!!!

squeaver Wed 05-Aug-09 21:28:58

Meh...it's just another wanky ad.

The funny thing is, Samsung is probably the world's most conservative, risk-averse, uptight company.

If they're saying this, it's probably 3 years out of date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now