Talk

Advanced search

to really *not* want to provide these details

(20 Posts)
leaningtoweroflaundry Tue 04-Aug-09 23:04:05

i have been a member of my local freecycle group and the group in the adjacent group for nearly a year now. i have just recieved an email stating

In order to approve your application/maintain your membership we need you to respond to this email within 13 days. Your doing so will be taken as your agreeing to abide by the current rules and etiquette (and any future amendments to them). These are summarised on joining.

In your response you MUST tell us:
* YOUR FULL NAME (We're not being nosy, but we are a community of real people with nothing to hide from each other).

* YOUR FULL ADDRESS (We need to be sure you're not a chancer, spammer or automated joiner).

* ALL OTHER FREECYCLE GROUPS YOU ARE ALREADY IN, HAVE APPLIED TO, OR ARE INTENDING TO APPLY TO. AND WHY. (Being in a few groups is not a problem. It's just that if you don't tell us and we see you popping
up in other non-neighbouring groups then you begin to look like you're up to no good!)

Your application will NOT be approved without these responses and your details will not be kept or shared deliberately with others.

Your current membership application will self-destruct in 13days. So take a few minutes to read the summary of our rules & etiquette and, if still happy to join us, send the details we need to our owner address

so AIBU to not want to give theese details??? i don't mind giving my name seeing as it is in my email address for this group, but what the hell relevance does my membership of any other groups have to do with it???angry

liahgen Tue 04-Aug-09 23:05:30

would be a bit hmm at that tbh.

Contact the moderator outside of this email. It may be a scam

Seabright Tue 04-Aug-09 23:06:19

I'm a member of 2 groups (one where I live, one where I work) and neither have asked for all this (yet).

Maybe they're having a lot of problems with time-wasters or traders?

preciouslillywhite Tue 04-Aug-09 23:07:02

Ere, wasn't there something on here a little while ago about people going on freecycle so they could flog stuff on on Ebay?

Do you think they might be maybe trying to weed out the chancers and just keep genuine people on?

BONKERZ Tue 04-Aug-09 23:09:49

i didnt provide the information you have listed......to join my local freecycle you have to write an essay about why you want to join and provide all the info you listed.....i refused and they revoked my membership.

Curiousmama Tue 04-Aug-09 23:10:21

I'm a member of 2 groups and only 1 has got a bit like this but not as nosy. Only want postcode.

I'm always shocked at the things people ask for...caravan...motorbike....even a car! shock

MissSunny Tue 04-Aug-09 23:11:26

Message withdrawn

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 04-Aug-09 23:11:28

hmm at info needed. I would like a good explaination and reassurances of their application of data protection before i would consider giving those details. But i am funny about data protection stuff at mo. angry

leaningtoweroflaundry Tue 04-Aug-09 23:12:30

the moderator seems to be rather overzelous IYSWIM. i was thinking of leaving it because if you didn't phrase things just so your messages wouldn't be approved. my local one is easy going about asking/offering livestock/cats/dogs etc and has a really good rate of responses but this other group refuses to have anything to do with stuff like that so has had a few defectors to "our" group.

FAQtothefuture Tue 04-Aug-09 23:13:40

we had a car given away on our freecycle just a few days ago - apparently had been sat in the garden (and was almost hidden by weeds grin) - so needed work doing to it and taxing/MOTing etc - but it was offered.

Also remember last January in Edinburgh browsing at my brothers freecycle group and someone offered a running car shock!

leaningtoweroflaundry Tue 04-Aug-09 23:17:00

misssunny any time i've had people collect i only ever email the person who's "won", never the group. unless it's a big item i meet them and because our local group is small you tend to get to know the people and there's an informal rating system ISWIM.

so the group tends to report amongst itself and it keeps thing friendly.

leaningtoweroflaundry Tue 04-Aug-09 23:17:58

we had a portalooshock

who has one of those lying about???

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 04-Aug-09 23:20:17

Message withdrawn

BitOfFun Tue 04-Aug-09 23:21:41

I don't like the hectoring tone of the admin emails I get from freecycle, and it has put me off participating tbh. I haven't heard from them for ages now though, so maybe I've been struck off? hmm

daisymaybe Tue 04-Aug-09 23:21:58

i hate jaunty exclamation marks. hate hate hate them. if you're being bossy, just do it, don't make it jaunty-bossy. doesn't work.

FAQtothefuture Tue 04-Aug-09 23:22:01

so I suppose a car that's only going to sell for £100-200 (and lots of just about runners go for that one ebay) isn't really a huge thing for someone to give away. Especially if it needs taxing, moting, insuring - it's going to cost more than what the car is worth to get back on the road grin

<<<<<<<<<reminds herself to head off to ebay to look at 7 seaters for future purchase>>>>>>>>

EachPeachPearMum Tue 04-Aug-09 23:24:02

leaning- I wouldn't be happy with giving out those details... hell, not even all my family have those details! wink

I love your username though smile (I have one of those too... my ironing pile)

leaningtoweroflaundry Tue 04-Aug-09 23:24:27

yea but shiney, would you give the reasons you joined a group? WTF! why is that relevant to membership???

i'm a member of a group which communicate in one of the languages i speak and am sorely tempted to reply to the email in that languagegrin

leaningtoweroflaundry Tue 04-Aug-09 23:27:15

Eachpeach, it breeds i tell ya! 1 towel suddenly becomes full load in a blinkwink

sayithowitis Tue 04-Aug-09 23:56:07

I tried to join my local group but ended up not bothering because they sent me a similar e-mail to the OP. frankly, I wanted to join in order to give away stuff that DH, me and the DCs no longer need - toys, baby equipment, clothing and occasionally bits of furniture etc. I objected very strongly to the tone of the e-mail as well as to the things they wanted to know,so now, my stuff either gets given to people I know would use it or, sadly, goes to the dump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now