Talk

Advanced search

to dread a trip to the dentist

(34 Posts)
arolf Tue 04-Aug-09 11:14:54

more than I'm dreading giving birth?

I was at the dentist last week, having not been for 5 years (due to never being able to find an NHS dentist, plus my irrational horror of dentists), and was told I'll need 2 fillings, although everything else is fine. So I have an appointment next week for these fillings, and I am unable to sleep with fear about it - I just HATE having anyone's hand in my mouth, and a hand with a needle, then a drill, then filling for 45 minutes makes me want to boak (I'm actually feeling queasy just writing this).

However, I'm also 33 weeks pg now, my first time, and will (presumably) be going through labour and childbirth sometime in the near future. so far as I'm aware this is unlikely to be a pain free experience but for some reason I'm not dreading it - I'm actually looking forward to something finally happeneing, and getting to meet my baby at last. Of course, I'm apprehensive, but know that pain relief will be available, my DP will be there with me, and I'll finally get to meet this alien who's been sharing my body for the past 8 months!

I mentioned to my mum that I'm weirdly dreading a dental appointment more than giving birth and she told me to stop being a prat, as having fillings is a lovely experience compared to giving birth, and if I think birth will be all sunshine and buttercups (which I don't) I'll be in for a rude shock. I don't think it'll be easy, I just have an irrational fear of dentists (actually quite rational if you ask me...) and know what to expect there, whereas with birth I have no idea what to expect, so cannot be so scared of it.

Am I being totally unreasonable to have this fear?

(btw, I know I would be unreasonable to expect brith to be less painful than fillings - that's not what I'm asking though! I'm asking if my fear is unreasonable )

Pinner35 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:22:40

No, not BU at all. My brother has the same phobia. About 20 years ago, my mother took us for a check up and as soon as the dentist went to put the mirror inside my bro's mouth, he said, "no, don't want to do this" and walked out of the surgery and hasn't been back since. Until recently that is, as he had cause to get himself to the dentists....as soon as he sat in the chair he vomited. The dentist was kind (I know as I used to use him) and treated him gently. He needed an extraction and a couple of fillings so he made an appointment to go a week later. He was truly dreading it but he went, had the stuff done and was out within 20 mins. He said he was absolutely terrified but kind of steeled himself to get through it......and he did. Not sure if that helps, but you are certainly not alone in this fear.

ginnny Tue 04-Aug-09 11:30:19

My friend is so terrified of the dentist gets panic attacks at the very thought of it.
When she needed fillings a few years ago (she wouldn't go to the dentist till she was in absolute agony) they used gas to knock her out while they did their stuff.
Could you ask if that is something your dentist would consider.
Good luck with the birth - it doesn't hurt at all - its all a myth grin

pjmama Tue 04-Aug-09 12:56:37

Phobias are irrational by nature, but you also can't help it! Tell your dentist how you feel, they're probably used to dealing with nervous/phobic patients as it's very common. However, a tooth abcess CAN be as painful as childbirth!! Get your fillings sorted asap and then look after your teeth really really well. We're all entirely responsible for the state of our own teeth wink

Also won't it be done for free at the moment? Bonus grin

arolf Tue 04-Aug-09 13:08:48

thanks

both fillings are apparently ones that could wait - both in very early stages of needing attention - but I'd prefer to get them done before baby arrives, as it'll be one less thing to worry about!

Don't think I can be completely knocked out due to baby though, so if I am not offered some decent local anaesthetic I'll be out of that chair as fast as my enormous bump will let me! we'll see how it goes - I'm sure it'll be fine in the end, and I was told that I must have pretty good dental hygiene because I haven't had any gum bleeding at all so far, and dentist said the two fillings are in difficult to reach places with a brush - I need to start flossing more though. Oh well, will just have to grin and bear it, and hope I get some sleep between now and then so I'm not shaking too much with tiredness by the time of the appointment!

arolf Tue 04-Aug-09 13:09:52

oh, and yes it is for free, hence going now - although I have to pay for one of the fillings as I can't have metal fillings now due to being pg, but NHS doesn't cover cost of white fillings unless on front teeth.

heliotrope Tue 04-Aug-09 13:45:10

YANBU at all. Dentists are very scary and childbirth much preferable.

SecretNinjaChipmunk Tue 04-Aug-09 13:52:02

tell your dentist, they are used to dealing with scared patients. and it will be quicker and less painful to have it done now when only small ones are needed by the sound of things.

hippipotamiHasLost54lbs Tue 04-Aug-09 13:56:45

No, not unreasonable at all smile
I had a check-up at the dentist yesterday and was told I needed two fillings. I nearly burst into tears right there!
Have managed to get the dentist to keep an eye on one cavity and only fill one (such is my fear, I was begging blush) and have booked the filling for the 7th September (far enough away not to have to fret)

So I know just how you feel....

Incidentally, it is the pre-filling injection I fear the most. Dread it, absolutely dread it...

SerendipitousHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 14:01:55

You should worry. On the 12th August, I have to have ROOT CANAL shock

And I have a MASSIVE fear of the dentist... But it got to a point where I literally couldn't live with the pain anymore. Well, that, and risking a painkiller addiction grin

deaddei Tue 04-Aug-09 14:41:01

God root canal- never had it but dh has.....
I'm off now to take dd (12)for 3 milk teeth extracted- they refuse to fall out of their own accord and are stopping 2nd teeth eruting properly. So as she has OCD, and hates the sight of blood.....anyone join me for a glass of wine in an hour???

funkybuddah Tue 04-Aug-09 14:52:22

I broke a tooth in labour with DC2 and a few weeks later it really hurt and it hurt so much more than labour, they said to me at the dentist 'it cant be that bad, you have hjust had a baby!'

But labour pain is productive, you know its for a reasona and you get something lovely out of it, toothache just sucks big time lol

sleeplessinstretford Tue 04-Aug-09 14:58:48

deaddi-i held my dd1 as they took her tooth out,she didn't feel a thing but jesus-the way they do it...they literally just pull it out...i don't know what i thought they did possibly some kind of incision but it's more brute force.My face must've been a picture.
On the other hand-i am currently going through the most pain of anything ever with my teeth-had an abcess 6 weeks ago,have so far had 2 sets of antibiotics,root canal,an infection in my jaw bone and fucking hell i'd rip the tooth out myself if it'd stop the pain...
am on prescriptions painkillers for the pain-6 weeks now trying to save having the tooth removed (it's near the front and i may be a simpleton but i don't want to look like a toothless simpleton) rubbish. get your filling sorted!
(for the record i had a 9lb8 baby with no pain relief at all and suffered a broken coccxyx and broken spine and the pain of those combined do not touch this tooth shit)

deaddei Tue 04-Aug-09 18:21:05

Well we got one tooth out- as soon as dd saw the needle, she freaked out. Anyway dentist was great- managed to do one with an anaesthetic gel but she has to go back next week to get the other one done- and she needs an injection for this one.
I think the tooth fairy will have to be very generous.

hippipotamiHasLost54lbs Tue 04-Aug-09 19:14:40

Oh deiddei, your poor dd shock Are you having that glass of wine now?

sleepless, that sounds awful - I have never had root canal work, but it sounds no fun. (incidentally your labout did not sound too pain free either shock)

deaddei Tue 04-Aug-09 21:16:19

I've had 3 glasses.....better go and sort out that tooth fairy before I fall asleep!

sleeplessinstretford Tue 04-Aug-09 21:41:53

1st labour was HORRENDOUS-well the after effects were.2nd one i loved-i can't wait to be pregnant again as i am looking forward to giving birth again. Next time I am going to stay at home and have no pissing around with a 6hour wait to come home.

deaddi-often it's the worry before hand that's worse than the reality. i do hope she's ok.

deaddei Tue 04-Aug-09 21:53:38

I will let you all know next Weds after she's been....dh is taking her this time as I really can't bear it!
In the meantime, good luck to all of you having dental work- think how much better you'll feel or how gorgeous you'll look afterwards.

hippipotamiHasLost54lbs Tue 04-Aug-09 22:04:18

Good luck for next wednesday mini-deaddie!

Sleepless, you are a braver woman than I am - I would have stopped even contemplating more babies if my first labout had been like that...
Mind you ds was stuck and distressed so it was not all plain sailing, but still a doddle compared to a broken coccyx and spine!

hippipotamiHasLost54lbs Tue 04-Aug-09 22:04:48

oops, sorry, mini-deaddei blush

sleeplessinstretford Tue 04-Aug-09 22:23:00

christ,just read what i said-i didnt break my spine and coccxyx during labour- i was using it as a measure of my pain threshold=i broke those falling out of a shower (see mumsnet classics for 'how to show yourself up and nearly kill yourself in the process'

PerArduaAdNauseum Tue 04-Aug-09 22:24:38

Tell me Arolf - is it safe?

<<Runs away laughing>>

PerArduaAdNauseum Tue 04-Aug-09 22:26:40

(under no circumstances follow this link)

hippipotamiHasLost54lbs Tue 04-Aug-09 22:27:01

OMG sleepless - perhaps I misread blush

Either way - it sounds painful!

arolf Wed 05-Aug-09 09:46:30

oh hippo - I was so tempted to just get one tooth filled, and wait and see how the other one goes - but then thought if I'm having a needle shoved into my palate anyway, I may as well get both done.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is terrified of dentists though
my DP hasn't seen one in 15 years, as last time he went to the dentist he bit the guy hard enough to draw blood. He was 17 at the time... I'm trying to convince him that UK dentists aren't as bad as all that, but me coming home shaking with THE FEAR after seeing dentist last week may not have bolstered his confidence!

PerArdua - is what safe? not sure I understand...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now