Talk

Advanced search

to expect peopleto keep their comments about my size, to themselves?

(33 Posts)
olivo Mon 03-Aug-09 14:49:50

I'm sure this one has been done before many times but today has pushed me past my limits blush I am fed up of people commenting on my not so small pg bump -I am admittedly huge but am suffering from various things making it this way. Today, an old lady pointed at me and said to her husband, "eeeh, look and we thought our DD was huge, look at her". 5 minutes down the road and a lady elbowed her friends and pointed at me as i was loooking at some normal size clothes in a normal clothes shop and said 'look at her' angry

I have 3 weeks to go, am very aware and not very happy about my size but am happy that my baby and me are ok at the moment.

its bad enough when people you know make comments but strangers? Hmmmph!

ipiratethief Mon 03-Aug-09 14:52:00

mad old bats.

It's very rude. Why do people think they can make comments about you when you are pg?!!

pleasechange Mon 03-Aug-09 14:52:32

I had this as well - people are so rude. I was absolutely massive (put on 4.5 stone) but it doesn't help to have people pointing at you. Good luck for the birth - enjoy the next few weeks if you can

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 03-Aug-09 14:52:48

sad It's terrible. I'd probably be tempted to come out with some sarcastic remark "I'm heavily pregnant, what's your excuse?". People should shut up.

nellie12 Mon 03-Aug-09 14:54:21

haven't you realised you are now public property as you are pregnant! Honestly I walked into work one night and someone commented how small I was then an hour later someone else said how big I was looking.

Yanbu

timmette Mon 03-Aug-09 14:54:25

They are being rude and tis none of their business, remember you will soon have a lovely baby and they will still be rude.
I am getting this already at 5 months and have gained 1 kilo but look huge.

Tidey Mon 03-Aug-09 14:55:31

I'd probably get the angry red mist in front of my eyes and snap 'My belly's going to shrink in a few weeks, what are you going to do about your face?' or something equally as childish blush

Rafi Mon 03-Aug-09 14:57:22

YANBU

I'd definitely respond - even if it was just to look them in the eyes & say "Look at me? Why?"

FluffyBunny's line is better though.

olivo Mon 03-Aug-09 14:58:03

I'm afraid i told them where to go under my breath blush. Ironic thing is, i've put on less than 2 stone this time due a restricted diet for GD, it's all bump!People like that make you feel like you shouldn't be out in public!

Bettymum Mon 03-Aug-09 15:02:32

I am for you olivo.
I love bumps! I want to rush up to pregnant women and touch their bumps. I don't, obviously.
I loved being pregnant and having my own bump and lying in the bath watching the alien being squirm and wriggle in my tummy. I am in the very early very nervous stages of second pregnancy and can't wait to have a new bump.
Enjoy your bump, just think very soon you will find out who's in there and it will be lovely. And you'll probably miss the bump!
Ignore these idiots angry.

GwarchodwrPlant Mon 03-Aug-09 15:03:08

I had the same problem and I went into hiding the last few weeks I just couldn't be arsed with the stares and comments. Just keep reminding yourself that it won't be forever and you are a very special person growing a beautiful little baby inside of you. Other people's opinions and poor manners are insignificant. Leave them to it.

gingerbunny Mon 03-Aug-09 15:05:15

you should carry a whoppee cushion/fart machine with you, then tell them it's all gas, turn away from them, bend over, squeeze the cushion and watch them run!
good luck, you'll soon have a beautiful new baby and no bump.

TheChilliMoose Mon 03-Aug-09 15:12:14

People can be so damn rude and unthinking. I do like the whoppee cushion idea grin

Mumcentreplus Mon 03-Aug-09 15:12:32

awww <<hugs>>...I was huge too..people thought I was having more than one grin..bluddy cheeky gits angry..when they used to comment I would say 'Yeah it's big isn't it?, big baby happy mummy!'grin

HeadFairy Mon 03-Aug-09 15:15:33

Add them to the people you'd like to punch list

I can't believe you've only got three weeks to go Olivo... we were on the ttc for an August baby thread a while back! Good luck with it all, hope it goes well.

PS I'm due in December so all's well that ends well!

lisianthus Mon 03-Aug-09 15:18:35

Argh - just one of the reasons I am glad I've given birth and am now no longer pregnant. Some people are just beyond belief, aren't they? It's like normal standards of courtesy don't apply with pregnant women. And along with the "are you having twins?" brigade, there's the ones who leap out and start stroking your stomach without so much as a by-your-leave.

Focus on the fact that all this rubbish will cease after you have given birth and it isn't long now. Good luck! I have come to the firm belief that pregnancy is such a total pain in the neck to ensure that by the time it comes to giving birth, labour is bearable on the basis that ANYTHING is better than being pregnant.

Hang in there!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 03-Aug-09 15:19:07

I'll be more then happy to design a t-shirt for you:

"I'm pregnant, you are rude, what's your excuse?"

"Blame my husband, he made me this way"

"The little darling will be out in a few weeks then I'll be thin again"

"It's rude to stare"

Satsuma1 Mon 03-Aug-09 15:23:08

Wow, what rude people! I would try my best to ignore them and focus on having a nice relaxing time before your lo arrives.

I remember a week after DS was born I was in John Lewis (DH had the pram and was standing a bit away) and this old lady came up to me, poked me in the stomach and said "what have you got in there?". I poked her back twice in her stomach and said "don't touch me, I don't even know you'!

OK, so probably an overreaction due to hormones, but I bet she won't be doing it again in a hurry!

Tidey Mon 03-Aug-09 15:26:29

AFTER he was born? No wonder you got so cross.

Why on earth do people think they have any right to touch strangers anyway, regardless of whether they're pregnant? You wouldn't go up to an old man, tweak his nose and tell him he's got hairy nostrils, or grab a complete strangers arse, so why do some folk think there's an exception for pregnant tummies?

StayFrosty Mon 03-Aug-09 15:32:22

oh god. i get this all the time. people ask how long I've got left, then do the big shocked face 'oh you look full term' (I am 33+6). I even had some twat shouting 'not long to go now' out of a convertible as I crossed the road in front of him ffs.

And SAtsuma is right, it gets no better afterwards. When my dd was 5 days old, my landlady came up to see us, looked me up and down, and went 'you're still quite big aren't you?' angry

Jaquelinehyde Mon 03-Aug-09 15:33:13

Don't worry about it, it's no that bad surely.

I'm overweight and not pregnant, so as someone said earlier I have no excuse. In public people laugh(some point), and make very rude comments.

I don't understand why there is such a fuss over these pregnancy comments. I don't want to offend anyone, I just really don't get it.

posieparkerinChina Mon 03-Aug-09 15:35:36

I never minded how big I was or who said it...... although on one occasion this woman made a comment on how close my dcs would be (14 monhts apart) when I was 6 months pg, saying something like gosh you're crazy, I looked shock and said I wasn't pg!!! You should have seen the look on her facegrin.

MANATEEequineOHARA Mon 03-Aug-09 15:37:42

Good lord how rude. I would probably stare at them intently in a 'how rude and pathetic' kind of way. However what I would do is not advice, I would probably do the wrong this and my look would be misconstrued as a look of someone in need of help or something!

screamingabdab Mon 03-Aug-09 15:58:47

I don't really understand why people feel the need to comment (out loud) about bump size, although sometimes it's just a ham-fisted way of people showing sympathy about the fact that late pg is not much fun.

I didn't take these comments as a comment about ME though, just a comment about my bump though, so I agree with Jaquelinehyde

MoonIsATiredSlayer Mon 03-Aug-09 16:09:28

I had a big DS2 and did look quite large but all bump and someone came up to me when I was about 38 weeks and asked if I was overdue. Why would you do that? I didn't know her from Adam so why would she care? It's just rude and unnecessary. I also had all the 'are you sure you're not having twnis ha ha' all the way through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now