Talk

Advanced search

to want a conservatory?

(29 Posts)
stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 20:51:52

we dont really need one, but i really want one, i love them and I love the idea of them, and it is a lovely place to sit and look at the garden...but my concience is telling me it is an un necessary extravagance

so help me with my inner turmoil!! please smile

K999 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:52:49

if you dont get heating in them then they are bloddy freezin things....grin

Nancy66 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:54:23

They're now considered really naff.

MerlinsBeard Sun 02-Aug-09 20:55:28

They are freezing in winter, BOILING in summer and always look like a colony of flies live in them

nickytwotimes Sun 02-Aug-09 20:56:30

Wel, in two weeks, I will be living in a house with a conservatory. grin
It only has 2 bedrooms, but I can't wait.
And if you get a half brick one, they are easy to heat, btw.

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 20:57:21

oh bim not getting one to impress Nancy...i just really like them....could give a toss about naffness grin i just love the sound of the rain when you are in them...and lets face it we get a lot of that atm

Good point about the freezing....would look at underfloor heating in there i think.

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 20:58:58

ohhh nicky hope you like your new place envy at already haveing a conservatory grin

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 02-Aug-09 20:59:55

Our house has a sun lounge (it has a proper roof) it is half brick and the rest glass and if the sun isn't shining it is bloody freezing and if it is then it is far too hot to actually sit in hmm

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:00:13

and DP will be doing the building type stuff....now he has mastered plastering grin, must keep him busy so need another project for him to think about

nickytwotimes Sun 02-Aug-09 21:00:14

Ooh, yes.
Get me.
wink
You may come and take tea if you wish. grin

I don't care if they are naff either. That's why they are stuck on the back of the house. wink

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:02:22

cant you get those windows in the roof that open to let the heat out if it gets too hot ?

I like the sound of a sun lounge grin

ChasingSquirrels Sun 02-Aug-09 21:03:50

we have an orangery (hahahahaha - sounds v posh, it isn't).
apparently a conservatory is closed to the house whereas an orangery is open - ie no doors between.

anyway, ours does get hot (east facing) but because it is open to the house the heat disperses through the rest of the house.

it is open to the kitchen and we use it as a dining area throughout the year - in winter you wouldn't linger after a meal but it is perfectly comfortable to sit and eat it.

we have underfloor heating.

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:04:18

nicky...when I have mastered carrot cake I shall come for tea grin and we can sit in your lovely conservatory and survey your garden...very civilised grin

ChasingSquirrels Sun 02-Aug-09 21:05:04

also is half brick and proper glass roof.
has a roof vent that is permanently open in summer, but that isn't enough to let heat out, when we are home and it is nice the windows and door are usually open.

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 21:05:13

Have half brick, solid roof with opening roof vents

It's cheaper to heat, easier to keep cool & more stylish imo

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:06:15

oooh chasingsquirrels.....more fantastic ideas....to open it up into the back room would be fantastic.....(metinks if i suggest it to DP i shall end up under the conservatory but hey its worth a try)

nickytwotimes Sun 02-Aug-09 21:07:06

More tea?

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:07:26

katymac...to you mean like a tiled roof with velux or a solid glass roof?

CyradisTheSeer Sun 02-Aug-09 21:07:38

Message withdrawn

ChasingSquirrels Sun 02-Aug-09 21:08:33

having it open to the house actually is an issue with building regs now, so probably not an option.

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 21:10:58

Tiled (esp if south facing)

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:13:59

ikwym chasingsquirrels... ...you need blardy fire doors everywhere.

Nicky......2 sugars please grin

stoppinattwo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:18:43

it is south facing KM...i shall consider that thankyou

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 21:22:38

I have a south facing & it is SO SO hot even atm

ChasingSquirrels Sun 02-Aug-09 21:22:50

it is more to do with SAP ratings I think, and heat loss.
I'm not sure I would have a south facing one, we had one on our first house (there when we brought it) and it was only usable in spring and autumn. Muc too hot in summer, and too cold in winter (though I guess heating would have sorted that!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now