Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up with neighbours or should I just put up with it for a quiet life?

(17 Posts)
SH27 Sun 02-Aug-09 12:41:18

We moved to a new house 4 years ago along with the rest of our neighbours as it was a new development. None of the gardens were turfed, had patios etc. We live in a cul de sac of 5 houses on a large estate. Over the 4 years everyone has eventually got round to finishing their gardens apart from one house.

They have been doing their garden every weekend during the past 4 summers. When I say doing, I mean drilling, crashing about, sawing paving slabs for hours on end, deliveries of materials blocking the roads, mud everywhere. I know it sounds as if I am exaggarating but I promise you I am not. We can't open windows or sit in the garden as the sound of drilling and grinding of the slab cutter he uses is awful. He starts at 10am and finishes at 5pm every weekend and sometimes during the evenings if he is home from work early. I think he is building the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!!!!

They are not the type you could say anything to and stay on friendly terms. The wife is quite scary!!

We have spoken to other neighbours who are equally fed up.

I am sure he will be finished one day, but was just curious as to what other people would do.

K999 Sun 02-Aug-09 12:43:21

Every weekend for the past 4 summers? Christ, how big is the garden?? shock

QueenEagle Sun 02-Aug-09 12:45:18

Could you approach them in friendly neighbour stylee and enquire how they are getting on with their garden, drop in a comment that bet they can't wait to get it finished etc, do you think you will be finished in time to enjoy it with however much summer we have left, blah blah etc etc???

They surely couldn't object to a friendly enquiry could they? <hopeful>

SH27 Sun 02-Aug-09 12:52:14

Their garden isn't that big, but he is building a really elaborate patio that goes down in tiers. Nobody can believe how long it is taking.

We have tried asking how long tackfully, and the response we had was 'well we are doing it ourselves, so it could be ages yet, unlike you lot who got someone in to do it for you!' So you can see what we are up against.

I really hate the idea of falling out with them as I would hate to feel uncomfortable living here.

The funny thing is we know they would complain if the shoe was on the other foot!!

The wife moans about everything.

K999 Sun 02-Aug-09 12:53:37

Start playing very loud music and if she complains tell her it is to drown out the noise that they are making! grin

Nancy66 Sun 02-Aug-09 12:56:46

if a few of the neighbours got together it would have more impact than just one lot complaining.

He's entitled to 'improve' his property but you might be able to come to some sort of agreement that he only doesn't do it Sunday afternoons or something? Could you set up a neighbourhood meeting - keep it very friendly but, hopefully, reach a compromise.

Four years of non stop noise is a lot to put up with.

SH27 Sun 02-Aug-09 13:03:12

love the music idea but would hate to upset the rest of the neighbours, as we live three doors from them.

I can't believe no one else has complain, there are a lot of babies around here and it must be hard getting them to sleep during the day as the noise is really really loud. I have the windows shut right now and I can still hear it.

Devendra Sun 02-Aug-09 13:21:33

The thing is.. if you do complain.. what can they do? seems they are already working really hard and probably cant afford to get smeone in. I guess you are just going to have to put up with it.

SH27 Sun 02-Aug-09 14:24:02

I agree with what is complaining going to do, but they do have the money as she continues to tell me this, but 'they want the satisfaction of doing it themselves'!

Blu Sun 02-Aug-09 14:43:00

I think it IS unreasonable to do work of that kind every single weekend day. Building companies are not allowed - they usually have set hours and days within which they can operate machinery etc.

I understand that peolple need to do bits of DIY and neighbourly forbearance is often needed, but if i were you, i would find out what your local council says about mechanical noise and building work, or call your local authority niose department and ask them what wold be reasonable within thier understanding. Then maybe politely, but firmly and collectively with other neighbours explain how much their noisy work is upsetting your own lives, and request that they restrict use of power tools to Saturday mornings only, say. (that was the restriction on a building site near me, once).

if they don't agree, you could choose to take it further, maybe.

risingstar Sun 02-Aug-09 16:56:25

oh sympathy, sympathy.

we had next door neighbours that spent every blardy weekend for 4 years improving their property. They told us one weekend that they were going to build an extension themselves.....we put our house on the market on the monday morning!

SecretNinjaChipmunk Sun 02-Aug-09 17:01:01

why don't all your neighbours chip in a weekend or a day and help him get it finished quicker in true friendly neighbourhood style?

Mybox Sun 02-Aug-09 17:04:01

Sounds awful - when do they expect to finish?

SH27 Sun 02-Aug-09 17:14:39

No idea when they expect to finish, it's now 5.15 on a Sunday afternoon and he is still drilling away!!!

As for chipping in and helping, nice idea but not the type of person you would want to help I am afraid.

Chrissybaby Sun 02-Aug-09 19:05:30

Keep a diary of how it is distrurbing you with dates and times, Contact your
local Environmental Health Officer who deals with noise pollution they will be able to send a letter to the neighbours about their noise. Often this works.
If not they can take action if enough nusicence is proven under the provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 80. Usually this will allow them to continue but will give them accepable times/ days to do the work
Hope this helps

SH27 Mon 03-Aug-09 12:28:04

Thanks Chrissybaby, I will start keeping a diary and see how it goes. I am going to have a chat with the other neighbours too and see if we can tactfully sort this out.

At least he is at work today so it is peaceful!

Chrissybaby Tue 04-Aug-09 20:49:47

Just a word of warning I forgot to add. If you contact the Council and it goes through the legal route, if you are selling your house you now have to declare if you have had problems with neighbours.
If it is reported and documented you may have problems if you do not declare noise If not documented it should be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now