Talk

Advanced search

(not too contentious I hope) - AIBU to want to take my breadmaker on holiday?

(53 Posts)
Woollymummy Fri 31-Jul-09 19:25:47

Obviously not me and just the Panny eloping to Devon , but with the whole family, you understand. We use it almost daily, I would rather keep doing that while we are away rather rely on local bread from bakery or supermarket (in a seaside town, very hilly, lots of sloggin with double buggy) or rely on my parents' tendancy to either have SH*T loads of cheap cr*p white from Somerfields (yellow label only) or no bread at all. Let me know what you think, should it stay or go in the back of the car (bearing in mind it will be heaving with too much of all our other essentials). Hmmmmmm.............

by the way, I have already mentioned it to DP, he laughed at me shock

nickytwotimes Fri 31-Jul-09 19:31:58

Leave the thing at home.

Give it a holiday too. grin

rubyslippers Fri 31-Jul-09 19:33:26

not sure about unreasonable

slightly barking maybe grin

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Jul-09 19:34:01

pack the car and see if there's still room
although it probably needs to go on the bottom doesn't it...
you have inspired me - going to dig mine out and dust it off this weekend I PROMISE!
Used to use it, then found that the gaps were getting longer until the yeast was useless by the time I came to make the next loaf

OrangeFish Fri 31-Jul-09 19:34:45

I think that realising that no holiday is complete without having a cr*p diet, may help. You don't need to buy the bread every day either.

Bathsheba Fri 31-Jul-09 19:35:47

I took a 3 teir steamer on honeymoon....but I do think I'd leave my breadmaker at home...

I'm sure Devon must have some artisan bread maker shops to explore...

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Jul-09 19:36:04

crap diet's fine, but not if the crap tastes worse than the stuff you make from scratch

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Jul-09 19:36:47

"I took a 3 teir steamer on honeymoon...."
I really have just laughed out loud!
So was it a steamy break?

Morloth Fri 31-Jul-09 19:37:42

I take the coffee machine...

Woollymummy Fri 31-Jul-09 19:38:24

slightly ashamed to say that whilst having a breadmaker might be a chance to make Very Wholesome Rye Bread every day ( my ideal) my sniffy offspring, 3 and 1, have turned up their noses at that and insist on much more YUMMY and addictive Milk Bread....so I should probably leave it for my whole health. We can eat raice cakes instead

Woollymummy Fri 31-Jul-09 19:38:39

rice not raice

slng Fri 31-Jul-09 19:39:24

I always want to take my kitchen knife (but have never actually done it). I love cooking but find blunt knives soul-destroying ...

3 tier steamer on honeymoon grin

nickytwotimes Fri 31-Jul-09 19:39:36

AM also pmsl at steamer.

Now, Morloth, a coffee machine is enetirely reasonable.
Bread makers/ steamers are madness.

<gavel>

nickytwotimes Fri 31-Jul-09 19:40:02

ENTIRELY, oops.

Woollymummy Fri 31-Jul-09 19:40:30

ah, kitchen knife, that is a good idea. Especially as I cannot cut my own bread without my own knife, it collapses otherwise

PrincessToadstool Fri 31-Jul-09 19:40:44

Can you not find a nice bakery where you are staying?

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 31-Jul-09 19:41:30

I think that if eating crappy bread would ruin your holiday - take it. if it doesn't matter that much to you, you like it but it's not important, then leave it.

Woollymummy Fri 31-Jul-09 19:42:07

DP's comment (after laughing at me) was "I'll take the coffee machine then!" [Sarcastic face] I will tell him he's not alone....

2rebecca Fri 31-Jul-09 19:44:47

I've taken mine twice. Both times to remote Scottish locations miles from the nearest shop. It was great. I can live with UHT milk, but hate ryvitas.

Northernlurker Fri 31-Jul-09 19:45:54

We take our good knives with us blush Toomany years of self catering in lovely places with crap knives!

I don't see why you shouldn't take it if the lack of it will mar your hols! grin

Plenty of people take huge high chairs, baby walkers and sterilisers with them.

(Of course dh and I do snigger at them and resolutely forget the time we took our rocking cradle on holiday with our four month old baby - who then slept like a log - in the carry cot!)

slng Fri 31-Jul-09 19:47:29

Northernlurker - thank you. Next time I will take my kitchen knife! I can cook with quite minimal stuff but I need my knife ...

BedofRosesItAintII Fri 31-Jul-09 19:50:31

Wollymummy, take the breadmaker, like Hecates said really, it is your holiday and if it is going to be something that would make the holiday for you take it and feel no shame grin

<Please post up the recipe for your Very Wholesome Rye Bread>

2rebecca Fri 31-Jul-09 19:50:38

I take 1 sharp knife as well, and usually ask if there is a cafetiere and take one if not, also usually take a recipe book as if rainy I enjoy cooking, and watercolours and paper, and games for the kids, maybe bikes, plus maybe a jigsaw.... I'm a light clothes packer though.

OrangeFish Fri 31-Jul-09 19:55:47

Actually, when I was married to my ex, the percolator was ALWAYS traveling with us. It saved me the misery of wandering the streets in the early hours of the morning, with a cranky man that couldn't find a good enough coffee.

Then my very allergic son was born and my list of things to take will put to shame someone pacing for a one man expedition to Alaska (Antimite bedlinen, asthma inhalers, epipens, doctor notes, boxes of glutten free biscuits, tetrabricks of rice milk, glutten free pasta, glutten free bread, and even desserts as there was absolutely nothing DS could eat when we were going out, apart of some fruits and grilled meats).

DandyLioness Fri 31-Jul-09 19:56:53

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now