Advanced search

to not want to do the stupid 'all about me' box for school

(46 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 31-Jul-09 17:35:40

Message withdrawn

BadgersArse Fri 31-Jul-09 17:37:18

ds1 has to ddo a power point all about him
he is not quadraplegic admittedly.
it includes a picture of me snapped while mning, me llooking old ,fat, tired and er, shiny

janeite Fri 31-Jul-09 17:39:00

Riven - what kind of school is she going into? It seems quite ridiculous that they have failed so fundamentally to understand her capabilities/needs.

plonker Fri 31-Jul-09 17:40:14

YANBU. Just don't do it.

sarah293 Fri 31-Jul-09 17:41:48

Message withdrawn

EccentricaGallumbits Fri 31-Jul-09 17:46:57

what about just filling it with loads of photos of DD doing stuff she actually likes and can do herself? no writing or explainations or stuff that DD obviously can't do herself.
tis v tactless. does annoy me with any projects that are obviously out of any childs capability. like all those f*ing harvest boxes planned and created by adoring artistic parents with time on their hands. and DD takes in a mangled lump of cardboard and then feels crap about it. and also see my agonised threads about the most reent project where i very nearly murdered DD because she jsut didn't understand self directed learning.

sorry rant over. is shite.

sarah293 Fri 31-Jul-09 17:48:41

Message withdrawn

TheCrackFox Fri 31-Jul-09 17:48:56

Don't do it.

What is this obsession with homework over the holidays anyway?

The school have been very tactless with this.

MrsMellowdrummer Fri 31-Jul-09 17:49:03

Am I right in thinking your daughter uses a communication aid Riven?

Couldn't she do something using that, which is more appropriate to her ability? (And that doesn't take an inordinate amount of time?)

difficultdecision Fri 31-Jul-09 17:51:06

Riven,

I can understand your frustration but given the difficulties your DD has could you use it as an opportunity to put things in the box that tell the rest of the class what she is like as the wonderful DD you love and write so passionately about on MN rather than what they might see on first impressions. So photos of her enjoying herself, a list of what she does and doesn't like, a picture of her with her family, maybe do a computer collage of photos to stick on the sides of the box rather than her decorating it herself.

Apologies in advance if you think it's a stupid idea, I only have DS and he is (alhamdolillah) able bodied and a few years off school yet! But although it may seem tactless it might be nice if you can use it as a way of your DD being included rather than excluded.

EccentricaGallumbits Fri 31-Jul-09 17:51:55

i supppose the point is tht the children get something out of creating a box of stuff all about them. if your DD has no concept of this - she can't see pictures or make anything to go in it then it is a bit pointless.
sod it - spend the time doing smething with her she'd enjoy rather than something pointless and stressy.

difficultdecision Fri 31-Jul-09 17:52:16

sorry x-post - I see you haven't got a camera. Do any friends have one you could borrow?

sarah293 Fri 31-Jul-09 17:54:40

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 31-Jul-09 17:55:13

Message withdrawn

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 31-Jul-09 17:58:29

Just don't do it. It sounds like it's a standard letter sent out to the entire class, including your dd (not wanting to leave her out or presume otherwise) and of course they must be aware she cannot do it and won't expect it.

If you really want to, you could, if not then don't. I'd imagine there are plenty of other mothers seething at having that one to do over summer (I know I would).

"sod it" is the way to go smile

paisleyleaf Fri 31-Jul-09 18:01:40

yanbu

have you got any postcards/leaflets from places you've visited/camping holiday or anything you could just drop in?

TotalChaos Fri 31-Jul-09 18:01:54

could you print off some of the montage of photos that you put up a while back (the one with the ?Irish boy band song) and shove that in a box with some wrapping paper "decorating" it?

difficultdecision Fri 31-Jul-09 18:04:05

Riven - that's ridiculous that she couldn't take her communication aid home for the summer - poor DD! if she needs it to communicate or is learning to use it to communicate she should be able to have it with her at home angrysad.

I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy DS starting school - we already have a house full of 'treasured nursery pictures' and although I like the idea of them doing things at home to take for school - what a pain!

sarah293 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:06:05

Message withdrawn

travellingwilbury Fri 31-Jul-09 18:14:13

BUgger it , I wouldn't bother and my ds is able bodied .

He was supposed to make a book on the wonders of a bean growing from seed . He cared about this even less than I did and so we ignored it .

So far I haven't been arrested or shunned .

aGalChangedHerName Fri 31-Jul-09 18:14:28

Oh FFS i wouldn't bother. How bloody stupid angry

Unless you want to and have the time of course hmm

dilemma456 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:16:47

Message withdrawn

thedolly Fri 31-Jul-09 18:18:43

Do the box. Don't spend a long time on it but do it. Write short notes about DD - her family, her likes and dislikes etc. The teacher can then communicate these to the rest of the class at the apropriate time - mission accomplished.

MrsMellowdrummer Fri 31-Jul-09 18:41:23

I'm quite surprised as well that your daughter's been sent home without a communication aid. I'm assuming she's using something high-tech in the classroom, but doesn't she have something low tech to use everywhere else? Or are they in the process of developing something for her?

Don't mean to bombard you with questions, but I am interested. (I'm an SLT, and worked with severely disabled children for about 10 years, providing them with AAC). Don't mean to be nosy though- don't answer if you'd rather not!

It would be nice if she could take something into school wouldn't it, but it sounds like there's very little point if all the effort's come from you, and she's not been able to contribute.

2shoes Fri 31-Jul-09 18:55:20

could you not fill it with touchy stuff,things she likes to touch,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now