Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be really excited about going back to work after mat leave?

(16 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 31-Jul-09 15:11:27

1- salary!
2- 8 whole hours a day away from DH and DS, 3 days a week, just long enough to really miss them grin
3- DH will be forced to get on with childcare without referring to me constantly, and also do more housework as his threshold is higher than mine...but he does have one!
4- having a reason to wear a bit of makeup and clean clothes
5- talking to people about stuff that matters, not feeding/weaning/poo schedules
6- getting to drive around lots listening to loud music without worrying about whether DS is bored/asleep/hungry

Oh I just can't wait for monday!

Anything else people have loved about going back to work?

Meglet Fri 31-Jul-09 15:12:12

yanbu.

7. Going to the loo in peace.

carocaro Fri 31-Jul-09 15:15:45

8. The arguments when one child is ill, who is going to bunk off work to look after them.

9. Being stuck in traffic/train and being very late home/nursery.

10. The yearly issue of what to dowith them in the school holidays esp. Summer one.

11. Being snided at by office co-workers when one leaves on time/to a school play/to a docs appt.

PrincessToadstool Fri 31-Jul-09 15:16:27

Lunch breaks.

SecretNinjaChipmunk Fri 31-Jul-09 15:20:13

to have a proper train of thought without being interupted by someone hanging onto your legs/ poking you in the eye/ shouting mummymummymummyMUMMY very loudly

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 31-Jul-09 15:21:58

caro are they the bad points? No, I'm not interested in those right now

ttalloo Fri 31-Jul-09 15:23:45

Being able to read a book on the train to and from work, without anyone interrupting, and stand a chance of finishing it in a week instead of a month.

(I'm going back to work in October and have been dreading it, but this thread has quite cheered me up about it!)

Sheeta Fri 31-Jul-09 15:31:20

you are definitely NOT being unreasonable. I'm back at work 2 days a week and it's perfect for us all. Personally it makes the time with DS better, I have more energy to spend with him, and it saved my sanity going back to work (I am not made to be a SAHM).

also, if you have a sick day from work and DS is at nursery/childcare then it's actually a proper sick day where you can watch dirty dancing and lounge around in yuor PJ's all day

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 31-Jul-09 15:37:56

Haha well I'm sharing with DH so if I was off sick he'd blatantly go to work! (self employed) I'm soooooo not cut out for SAHMdom either! (Not that I haven't loved this last 11 months, but now...)

GrapefruitMoon Fri 31-Jul-09 15:57:52

If you have shops near where you work you can go shopping on your own at lunchtime!

LolaLadybird Fri 31-Jul-09 20:23:13

YANBU. I was soooo excited about going back to work 3 days a week when DD was a year old. I pretty much bounced into work on the first morning like an over-excited puppy ... and then completely crashed & burned on the energy front by lunchtime after a morning's handover with my maternity cover - I'd just lost the ability to process large amounts of information.

I had to travel/drive quite a lot for work and I used to relish those 3 hour trips - just me and the CD/radio!

mrsboogie Fri 31-Jul-09 21:18:07

When the baby is teething and not sleeping and grumpy or just doesn't fancy going to bed until late you don't mind so much because you haven't been with it all day and its a chance to see bit more of them...

...well, most of the time.

mrsboogie Fri 31-Jul-09 21:21:08

oh another one - you can deposit small children at nursery in the safe knowledge that they will eat LOADS of stuff during the day that they would quite frankly laugh their arses off if you tried to get them to eat it at home..

BikeRunSki Fri 31-Jul-09 21:24:46

Karo Me too. Been off 11 months 1 week. Back on 2 Sept, on 3 day week. I love DS to pieces, but as well as all your reasons:

12. Finishing a cup of tea before it goes cold.

stainesmassif Fri 31-Jul-09 21:37:01

doing one thing at a time
having child care already sorted so that you can take annual leave from your 'proper' job and spend a day on your own.
finding new organisational skills that you didn't know you posessed to get yourself and dc out of the door on time

sazlocks Fri 31-Jul-09 21:41:36

not constantly looking at the floor for small people, small toys, things with wheels on, bits of food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now